Speed limiters could be launched on UK cars within months under new EU rule

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I need a reality check? Will this type of control really become Law? Both our cars have speed limiters / cruise control but solely driver controlled. An external control seems dangerous to me😥😥

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Car makers could choose to build just one specification, thereby enforcing it on UK buyers.
True, that’s always been the case. Many years ago the US decreed that single spoke steering wheels were not allowed. Citröen (which, for stylistic/design reasons used such a design) took the decision to remove their cars from the American Market.

I suppose it ultimately depends on market decisions and market strength.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Car makers could choose to build just one specification, thereby enforcing it on UK buyers.
Presumably the UK government might decide that the speed limiting system is not enabled despite being fitted. How this might affect cars going into Europe would have to be decided if Europe decided UK cars had to comply. But precedents have seen that a car that is legal in UK is deemed legal for use in Europe. The alternative could be to have geofencing. The cars gps senses when it leaves UK territory and activates the system.

This topic first cropped up in October as a thread.

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com...ed-on-all-new-cars-by-2022.63474/#post-533976

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to otherclive's comment,

The vast majority of new cars rely heavily on software systems to implement most of the driver assistances like cruise control and lane assist - etc. We have heard of how Tesla and other manufacturers provide over the air updates, and in some cases some features which are optional at the time of purchase can be activated by the manufacturer at a later date.

With the communications that modern cars have it is entirely possible to incorporate it into the navigation system, or to offer it as an aftermarket option on cars where there is sufficient integration of the systems.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Presumably the system would have to run off a camera as fitted to my car. This simply recognises speed signs and displays the limit on the screen in front of me. It does however have problems at times where signs can be obscured or the speed limit at the start of a side road can be picked up. It would need far better technology to work and if it picked up the wrong limit could make the car slow down suddenly and cause an accident.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It would need improved speed limit updating as my Garmin is updated every three months but in some areas it’s reading an incorrect speed limit from its gps position data base. But if it comes directly off of a camera within the car at least it picks up the posted speed limit as displayed at the roadside.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ultimately as the UK law stands the speed and control of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver, who must keep it within the speed limits and other restrictions posted locally, which might differ to those listed by sat navs etc. for example road works with speed restrictions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ultimately as the UK law stands the speed and control of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver, who must keep it within the speed limits and other restrictions posted locally, which might differ to those listed by sat navs etc. for example road works with speed restrictions.
Thanks for the advice. But I tend not to rely on my satnav display of speed limits, being aware of my responsibility as the driver. It’s just as well that I do, as the error seems to be that the satnav displayed speed limit is higher than that displayed at the roadsides. My satnav rarely if ever displays road works mandatory speed limits, despite being updated every three months.

Last edited:

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The UK government declared that after Brexit, it would voluntarily align with certain EU rules. I can't give chapter and verse, but I remember motoring regs were the most obvious. I think speed limiters are a good idea for certain locations i.e. schools where the 20mph limit needs to be enforced.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Probably wont happen................
will cost the treasury approx £260m a year from camera's alone
Speeding tickets (Daily Mirror)

Or to re-coup the pennies they could put Road fund tax on EV vehicles!!!
A speed camera doesn't stop the person from speeding however a visible presence of a police vehicle has a bigger deterrent than any speed camera. Many satnavs have speed camera locations and will warn the motorist when approaching a speed camera.
A speed camera does not prevent overloading or dangerous driving, but a visible police vehicle does act as a deterrent. Speed camera cannot stop an unlicensed driver on the road or an untaxed and uninsured vehicle. The list is endless however a speed camera is definitely a cash machine that serves very little purpose and is not even a real deterrent!
We need more police patrolling all roads and not just motorways!

Reactions: Gagakev and JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sadly rarely see a real police vehicle. But quite a few Highways Agency Patrol vehicles. Their Officers do not have the power to stop a speeding vehicle. So not not much of a deterrent. Shame their vehicles can’t be painted same as the police. A sheep in wolf’s clothing😉😉

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree Buckman-watch them slow for the camera outside our village-which actually doesn't work and hasn't since they resurfaced the road and didn't repaint the markings! -6months now, and then floor it! The only exception being average speed cameras, which do have some effect imo-but they still don't catch the uninsured, the clowns on their phones, smoking dope, drinking behind the wheel or watching a tv show! We totally need more police on the roads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree Buckman-watch them slow for the camera outside our village-which actually doesn't work and hasn't since they resurfaced the road and didn't repaint the markings! -6months now, and then floor it! The only exception being average speed cameras, which do have some effect imo-but they still don't catch the uninsured, the clowns on their phones, smoking dope, drinking behind the wheel or watching a tv show! We totally need more police on the roads.
In addition, it is known that people swap identities with a spouse or relative so that they do not get any more points. I think an MP tried that not so long ago?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having looked at an article on speed limiters they work off GPS so should be accurate but it does require every speed limit to be recognised and I am not clear if it could deal with those that change or are on road works. The other catch was that they can be turned off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Having looked at an article on speed limiters they work off GPS so should be accurate but it does require every speed limit to be recognised and I am not clear if it could deal with those that change or are on road works. The other catch was that they can be turned off.

Our 2012 Jeep has a limiter whoever I can over ride it simply by pressing the pedal. Obviously not the same as the one proposed as it requires driver intervention.
However I think many of us at some point have come across a situation where you need to speed up to avoid a mishap or to safely move out of the way of blue lights.
Only recently I was stuck behind a vehicle on a dual carriageway where their speed varied between less than 50mph and 70mph and they sat in the offside lane for most of the time. To get past them safely I had to accelerate hard when they moved to the nearside lane and probably exceeded the speed limit for a couple of seconds. I suspect that they were either under the influence or tired.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 2012 Jeep has a limiter whoever I can over ride it simply by pressing the pedal. Obviously not the same as the one proposed as it requires driver intervention.
However I think many of us at some point have come across a situation where you need to speed up to avoid a mishap or to safely move out of the way of blue lights.
Only recently I was stuck behind a vehicle on a dual carriageway where their speed varied between less than 50mph and 70mph and they sat in the offside lane for most of the time. To get past them safely I had to accelerate hard when they moved to the nearside lane and probably exceeded the speed limit for a couple of seconds. I suspect that they were either under the influence or tired.
The proposed devices will give a temporary override function. And I doubt all roadworks speed limits will be in the database although long term ones might well be. A camera facility on the car may well be suited for temporary speed limits. But at the end of the day it’s the drivers responsibility until the laws on autonomous systems are changed.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
It's easy to speculate when you don't know the details. I assume that speed limiters will reduce the amount of speeding, and will therefore reduce the risk of a tragic accident.
It's not the Police's job to make these brain-dead drivers comply with the rules. If they cannot behave, they need to be fined first and then banned next time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s a new camera being trialled that can spot motorists using mobile phones or watching dvds etc. It is in use in Oz for the last two years and in Britain 15000 motorists were caught but not charged as it is still on trial. Claimed to work at night and fir vehicles doing up to 185 mph. The resolution is claimed to be so good that it will even pick up failure to wear seat belts too.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/30/new-...use their phone while driving on the motorway.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There’s a new camera being trialled that can spot motorists using mobile phones or watching dvds etc. It is in use in Oz for the last two years and in Britain 15000 motorists were caught but not charged as it is still on trial. Claimed to work at night and fir vehicles doing up to 185 mph. The resolution is claimed to be so good that it will even pick up failure to wear seat belts too.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/30/new-game-changer-camera-caught-15000-drivers-using-their-phones-15839654/#:~:text=A new motorway camera has caught thousands of,use their phone while driving on the motorway.
Set at a more opportune height he resolution is so good that it is also possible to identify the driver!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
On our Volvo, the cars onboard cameras read road signs, and the speed limiter can either be set to a certain speed, or react to the road signs. I was dubious about the whole thing, but having tried it properly, its a fantastic system. Strangely it cant be used with the adaptive cruise control, its an either/or in settings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts