Speed limiters to be fitted on all new cars by 2022

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apparently a new EU law , applicable to U.K., comes into force next year.
Just how much Highways influence on controlling our cars is yet to be announced. In the current fuel crisis I can see us all being limited to 30 mph🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not too sure about speed limiters but the 0-62 mph acceleration times of some not extraordinary EV cars worry me. So many can enter an island from a standing start faster than a track day Maclaren, giving other users little scope to enter, or the EV driver less time to react if they themselves misjudged traffic movements.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Intelligent Speed Assist also comes into cars from 2024 if it’s not there already, just waiting to be activated. This is not active cruise control. ISA will take inputs from gps, traffic conditions, weather etc.

I understand the systems can be over ridden by a kick down feature, but they will be warning you. So who want to overtake a tractor with the car squeaking away at you trying to wreck your concentration?

“Many manufacturers have already started including factory-fitted ISA in some of their cars such as Citroen, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Peugeot, Renault and Volvo. Renault Group also confirmed that all upcoming Renault and Citroen cars will have a top speed of 112 mph to increase safety.”

Hang on to that Touareg fir as long as possible eh?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Touareg has a speed warning that you set to your own level. Not sure I want my car controlled by outside influences?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Touareg has a speed warning that you set to your own level. Not sure I want my car controlled by outside influences?
My Subaru has one as does my Garmin. Neither are set. A while back a trial on some US Jeeps demonstrated that outside “ hackers” could over ride the throttle either way. The mind boggles as what could be done for the future cars, for good or for ill. Perhaps the time is coming to brush off the bus and rail passes 😂, well it is anyway I guess.

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
It was a good wake up call to the car industry that Jeep issue. Until then nobody had really considered IT security on cars. As they get more and more computerised it means more and more things could be hacked. There was no security whatsoever at that time. I would hope the industry has started implementing proper security controls in their IT systems as a result.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Too late... Cars(and most other vehicles) have been subjected to limitations either set by external influences since the wheel was invented, Gravity, friction, air resistance, road surfaces..cost of fuel. taxes, insurance.... need I go on!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
This touches on a dilema that I may face in the future when I or if I change cars. I currently have little in the way of automation - I do have a speed limiter which I use. So, when looking for a new car I want one that has little in the way of things telling me what it thinks I should be doing. I'll settle for:-

1. Abs
  2. Traction Control
  3. Cruise Control
  4. Speed Limiter.

Even the auto head lights and auto wipers have a mind of their own which I often disagree with.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guess I should cross the top spec Kia EV6 off of the list with a top speed around 162 mph. Although even in Germany when I took the XC70 up to 120 mph it wasn’t a very comfortable time as on a three lane relatively quiet autobahn you were coming up behind vehicles in lanes 1 and 2 so quickly you were ever on your guard for one coming into lane 3. Guess I’m not cut out to be a police TPO.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Too late... Cars(and most other vehicles) have been subjected to limitations either set by external influences since the wheel was invented, Gravity, friction, air resistance, road surfaces..cost of fuel. taxes, insurance.... need I go on!
I posted this thread in good faith to highlight a new EU Law which will in the long term affect us all.
I’m out of here . We have become far too insular and self opinionated!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If meant as an overall speed limit it might be a suggested EU directive, but it would never get implemented with Germany traditionally resisting any attempt to have a blanket speed limit of any sort.
My understanding, however, was that cars are to be fitted with speed limiters capable of identifying posted speed limits and able to act automatically accordingly.

Guess I should cross the top spec Kia EV6 off of the list with a top speed around 162 mph. Although even in Germany when I took the XC70 up to 120 mph it wasn’t a very comfortable time as on a three lane relatively quiet autobahn you were coming up behind vehicles in lanes 1 and 2 so quickly you were ever on your guard for one coming into lane 3. Guess I’m not cut out to be a police TPO.

When I was still at work and had dealings with a supplier near Munich I was able to average 120mph on the drive down there if they gave me an appropriate company car.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We live near a school and the speed limit is 30mph at the moment because the 20mph speed limit signs have not yet been posted. I would like motorists to limit their speed to one of these speeds (I don't mind which one) so that we can walk out of the house without fear of being mown down. The ridiculous speeds some drivers are travelling at and the noise with straight through exhausts is getting us down. If automatic speed control is brought in, we will be delighted. As a motorist I try to adhere to all speed limits, helped by Mrs Ern with her automatic speed limiter (right hand back hand on the leg).

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We live near a school and the speed limit is 30mph at the moment because the 20mph speed limit signs have not yet been posted. I would like motorists to limit their speed to one of these speeds (I don't mind which one) so that we can walk out of the house without fear of being mown down. The ridiculous speeds some drivers are travelling at and the noise with straight through exhausts is getting us down. If automatic speed control is brought in, we will be delighted. As a motorist I try to adhere to all speed limits, helped by Mrs Ern with her automatic speed limiter (right hand back hand on the leg).
If it’s too bad with speeding vehicles you could set up a community speed watch group. There’s a couple around here that proved effective. Other villages/areas have benefitted from asking the council to put up the radar speed warnings that show oncoming motorists their speed. One is a permanent fixture others have temporary speed displays periodically strapped to lamp posts. Try contacting your councillor.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
is the speed limit 20 or 30? are you having the road changed to 20 as per the new road signs will be 20 on a sign with red circle around it or is it going to be 20 with a green circle around it, if it’s red then speed above what ever is on the sign is enforceable but I’ve been told the 20mph signs popping up in lots of village locations with a green circle around it are meaningless because to be legally enforceable it has to be with a red outline.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
is the speed limit 20 or 30? are you having the road changed to 20 as per the new road signs will be 20 on a sign with red circle around it or is it going to be 20 with a green circle around it, if it’s red then speed above what ever is on the sign is enforceable but I’ve been told the 20mph signs popping up in lots of village locations with a green circle around it are meaningless because to be legally enforceable it has to be with a red outline.
The speed limit signs are 30mph. There are several school locations in the district where the speed limit is 30mph at the moment, however my satnav and other local friends are getting 20mph on the screen. Not that it makes any difference to the local yobs who are hammering around in hotted up cars at much higher speeds than that.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The speed limit signs are 30mph. There are several school locations in the district where the speed limit is 30mph at the moment, however my satnav and other local friends are getting 20mph on the screen. Not that it makes any difference to the local yobs who are hammering around in hotted up cars at much higher speeds than that.
If you were to talk to your police they might set up a radar trap to catch a few and send message to others. But a better solution could be the councillor. Doing nothing won’t achieve anything.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have one road which is the main road that runs through the village and in the middle there is a T junction where another road joins the main road. Obviously horrible country roads with loads of bumps and potholes.
During a week we had an average of 468 vehicles coming through the village along the main road daily with average speed. 29mph and maximum speed 55mph on one road. On the other road coming to the T junction daily total was 1431 and average speed 32mph with highest speed 72mph.
It appears that the majority of the speedsters were young women followed by young men however this was just an observation from passerbys. However both the wife and myself have noticed that it seems to be mainly young women exceeding the speed limit through the village when we are taking the dogs for a walk in the mornings.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have one road which is the main roa that runs through the village and in the middle there is a T junction where another road joins the main road. Obviously horrible country roads with loads of bumps and potholes.
During a week we had an average of 468 vehicles coming through the village along the main road daily with average speed. 29mph and maximum speed 55mph on one road. On the other road coming to the T junction daily total was 1431 and average speed 32mph with highest speed 72mph.
It appears that the majority of the speedsters were young women followed by young men however this was just an observation from passerbys. However both the wife and myself have noticed that it seems to be mainly young women exceeding the speed limit through the village when taking the dogs for a walk in the mornings.
Our dogs are too old now to exceed the speed limit when we go for a walk. But joking aside I have noticed that younger women tend to be less considerate and do tend to drive more towards the faster side of average.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Plus one on that=especially if they are on the school run-seems to convert otherwise sensible people into thoughtless irresponsible types somehow-having recently retired as Head Teacher of a couple of Primary Schools I feel well placed to comment. They drive everywhere-expect to park outside the door at the expense of all road users regardless. There was a shop and small car park near us-the shop keeper initially had the grace to allow use of his site-soon changed his mind when parents parked right in front of his door blocking access entirely , to the shop!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...but I’ve been told the 20mph signs popping up in lots of village locations with a green circle around it are meaningless because to be legally enforceable it has to be with a red outline.
Your post give the impression that anyone could put up a sign and provided its teh right colour it become enforceable - sorry but no. The local authority are the ones that can put up legally enforceable signs, amd there is a considerable process they have to go through before they can be erected or changed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suspect these are what we have in or area. They are put up by the local authority and also show the words "twenty is plenty" but in practice they have no legal effect but are a forlorn attempt to slow some people down.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Many authorities however are putting 20mph signs out side schools-with the red circle ie legally enforcable-questionable whether any drivers actually take any notice of them however, or anything to do to enforce them although the community speed watch initiative seems quite effective at making drivers think as letters can be sent!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts