Speed limits

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody really care about speed limits anymore, unless of course it directly affects them? IE the road outside their front window. All we seem to hear about is people moaning about speed cameras and speed humps when all we need to do is take heed of the black numbers in the red circles that appear on the side of the road from time to time.

Example. A road near to me, with a J&I school on it, was recently the subject of a speed survey by the local police, after complaints from concerned residents and parents of excess speed.

The road is a 30mph residential road.

The police recorded speeds of 78.9 and 68.7 mph over a period of 2 weeks and many readings of 50+ and 60+.

Who do we need to target? The speeders, the authorities for not doing enough, the same authorities for doing too much in the wrong places or the law?

I am very interested to read other people's views on this.

Jul 29, 2005
Visit site
Nice to see some valid points Kanga, see you can be nice if you try.

Myself i would rather do away with speed camera's and speed humps altogether and go down the route of the dutch and bring in chicanes. They work wonders force you to slow down, cause no damage to your car and unless a cyclict should just pull out and cross the road without looking as they do... no one gets hurt.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Norman, We've got lots of councillors ( normally lib dem) where I live who are 'traffic experts'. They have got 20 & 30 speed limits outside all schools 365/24/7.

Of course when the children are actually going to school nobody can do 5mph due to the car run, so to keep their figures up the camera partnership carry out the checks on summers evenings and weekends.

They are also very good at quoting figures of the number of cars breaking the limit but never mention at what time of the day or night. On a long road near where I live, which is preety rural with big hedges seperating the pavement from the road, they said that 85% of motorists did 38mph in the 30 limit.

In the old days of traffic, and not social, engineering that would have meant a 40mph limit being set.

Remember the boy who cried wolf. If you set speed limits low, compared with what a reasonable driver would drive at if there was no limit in place, then there will be contempt for the limits.

Jul 29, 2005
Visit site
Norman, We've got lots of councillors ( normally lib dem) where I live who are 'traffic experts'. They have got 20 & 30 speed limits outside all schools 365/24/7.

Of course when the children are actually going to school nobody can do 5mph due to the car run, so to keep their figures up the camera partnership carry out the checks on summers evenings and weekends.

They are also very good at quoting figures of the number of cars breaking the limit but never mention at what time of the day or night. On a long road near where I live, which is preety rural with big hedges seperating the pavement from the road, they said that 85% of motorists did 38mph in the 30 limit.

In the old days of traffic, and not social, engineering that would have meant a 40mph limit being set.

Remember the boy who cried wolf. If you set speed limits low, compared with what a reasonable driver would drive at if there was no limit in place, then there will be contempt for the limits.
Hi Samanosukie chicanes are where the road will usually narrow and vear to the left and then the right. In Holland it is done by a raised kerb in the centre of the road forcing the traffic to one side of the road there travelling on then moving them over to the other other half of their side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I make a conscious effort to keep my speed under 30 around town, especially on the little side roads where kids might run out.

My 'beef' would have to be with a) road planners and b) the 'safety' cameras that are positioned with no mind to safety but will still reap a large revenue. Haughley Bends on the A14 near Stowmarket is a case in point. There is a notorious junction there but rather than sort it out (grade seperation) they stick a 50 limit on it. Those cameras are fairly sharp too apparently.

Yes, I agree the little round signs say 50 so end of story, but it's a dualled A road carrying traffic from the daocks to the Midlands so the planners should spend some of our road fund licence on improvements that mean something.

I can understand siting them outside schools/on roadworks etc, because motorists should have respect for 'real' danger areas.

'Safety Cameras' are nothing more than revenue raisers and as such will never disappear.

Drivers should also remember that the driving licence is a priviledge not a right.

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Some good points Deano. Road planners have a great deal to answer for. We all must know a stretch of road where the speed limits vary from 30 to 40 to 50 or 60 and back down again. You seem to spend more time watching the speedo than the road, throw a speed camera into the equation and bingo, utter confusion. Far better to average them out.

My solution would be 80mph on motorways, but if you are caught at 90+ then 6pts + heavy fine 100+ would be instant 12 month ban, no excuses that i need the car for work, tough.

All other fines should be increased and points for 10 mph+

increased. As for people using mobiles whilst driving, well what do you think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A140 over here in Suffolk is a case in point. It changes as you say within half a mile from 50 to 40 to 30 and back again.

We have 30 mph limits in the most ridiculous places, and it's understandable when you hear how they were decided upon. They sent out two office girls in a pool car, one of whom couldn't even drive and they drove around deciding where the limits would apply from! I know this because I worked for a while with a friend of one of those girls.

Good huh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A140 over here in Suffolk is a case in point. It changes as you say within half a mile from 50 to 40 to 30 and back again.

We have 30 mph limits in the most ridiculous places, and it's understandable when you hear how they were decided upon. They sent out two office girls in a pool car, one of whom couldn't even drive and they drove around deciding where the limits would apply from! I know this because I worked for a while with a friend of one of those girls.

Good huh!
were they essex girls and blond

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts