Speeding

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just received this months PC mag and on page 107 David Motton questions whether or not new drivers should have basic knowledge of towing before getting a full license
Of the total number of driver's out there, how many actually tow? Probably a very small minority. I do agree that part of the written test should involve questions on towing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that there is little point in having some towing knowledge included in the test. In general I think very few will tow anything in the first few years they have a licence.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I do agree that there is little point in having some towing knowledge included in the test. In general I think very few will tow anything in the first few years they have a licence.
Drivers should know the speed limits of all classes of vehicle, not just those they drive - this is emphasised on Speed Awareness courses as car drivers need to know why some other vehicles aren't doing 70 mph.

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I agree that it is not so good that people can tow a large van with no real qualification other than a driving license. Not just for the speed awareness, but also for the sheer size of the outfit. It’s the same for 7.5t trucks driven by people with “grandfather rights”. I’m included in this bracket and I have driven 7.5t for years, but it’s unbelievable how big these vehicles feel when you first drive them. It’s the same feeling when you first tow. I don’t claim to have an answer as to how you would administrate it, but I do think that one shouldn’t be towing without sitting with an instructor first.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I wonder if after passing the driving test,the question could be asked,"do you intend towing in the future"?.
If yes.....then asked the question..."would you like to watch a short 15 minute video on basic safety tips including how to load a van",then a very short clip on what can happen if safety and unsafe loading are ignored.
Not compulsory,but a few may be happy to watch.
Plus.....even if it prevents just one accident in the future,all the better.
Just my thoughts.🤔

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if after passing the driving test,the question could be asked,"do you intend towing in the future"?.
If yes.....then asked the question..."would you like to watch a short 15 minute video on basic safety tips including how to load a van",then a very short clip on what can happen if safety and unsafe loading are ignored.
Not compulsory,but a few may be happy to watch.
Plus.....even if it prevents just one accident in the future,all the better.
Just my thoughts.🤔

I think it should go further. A test may not be appropriate but, if courses like the one provided by the CMC were legitimised and turned into a qualification, which, if passed, could become an endorsement on the licence.

It would cost, but we accept that HGV drivers need to pay to jump through the required hoops. I just see it as an extension of that.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts