Spelling - quite annoyed

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

At the risk of starting a riot - this is the correct spelling 'grammar' not 'grammer'. LOL!! Feel free to pull my efforts to pieces.

Changing the subject, I'm not very happy as my daughter has just told me what her dad has bought me for Christmas - I just hope she's joking otherwise, there may be another homeless man on the streets of Nottingham on Christmas day.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cliff

I don't have any issues with people's literacy skills, the only issues I have regarding grammar etc is when someone is humiliated by another person over it.

Lisa

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi

At the risk of starting a riot - this is the correct spelling 'grammar' not 'grammer'. LOL!! Feel free to pull my efforts to pieces.

Changing the subject, I'm not very happy as my daughter has just told me what her dad has bought me for Christmas - I just hope she's joking otherwise, there may be another homeless man on the streets of Nottingham on Christmas day.

Lisa

Did you not want a new washing machine then ??? maybe you could swop it for the new steam iron I bought for Val !!!

Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Continuing with the Christmas present theme (do we need a new thread), I was talking to a lady at work. Her iron blew up on Monday night, and by Tuesday evening her husband had put a new one under the Christmas tree.

Is he brave, stupid, pragmatic, thoughtful, economical ... ?

I must admit that, among other presents, I have bought Mrs P some new hoover bags. I hope she is grateful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa + Jo-anne, This forum is for good for getting info,

for questions asked by those that dont know,

so we may all be that bit wiser,

when someone gives the proper answer,

all replies are taken on-board,

but there's always one to be ignored.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa Are you really going to chuck your Hubby out on christmas day? If He is on the streets then I will put the heating on for him in our caravan.Send him to Wilford.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank - I really hope you are joking??!!

Mike - I think you might be wearing those hoover bags on Christmas day. The poor woman with the iron - what can I say? - Did he tell her it was a new iron and then wrap it up? Or, did he just put the box with the iron in it under the tree, unwrapped?

So sad, I will make a prophecy and say that there will be a lot of disappointed women on Christmas day, myself included!

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa Are you really going to chuck your Hubby out on christmas day? If He is on the streets then I will put the heating on for him in our caravan.Send him to Wilford.
Hi G Stockton

Are you in Wilford then? We're only a couple of miles away from you. Small world. (WB).

I was going to say that he can leave when he's cooked Christmas lunch but I've just remembered that we're going to my brothers in Kirkby for lunch. You can expect him around tea time.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Mike - I think you might be wearing those hoover bags on Christmas day. The poor woman with the iron - what can I say? - Did he tell her it was a new iron and then wrap it up? Or, did he just put the box with the iron in it under the tree, unwrapped?

So sad, I will make a prophecy and say that there will be a lot of disappointed women on Christmas day, myself included!

Lisa
Iron in the box, with cheap see-through wrapping paper. That's classy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Small World yes I bet you shop at Asda or Morrisons@Gamston?

Heat will be on for your poor hubby !Happy chrismas Glenn

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morrisons, we're near the tow path so it's only a short walk. Small world indeed. He's looking forward to spending the rest of his life in your caravan!!

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
The shame of it.

Lisa

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Frank, i was going to say that i stand corrected concerning the

"but" and starting with a capital letter. Infact i wrote as much

and added that even though i passed my "O" LEVEL with a grade C

back in 1979, i wouldn't be surprised that this had happened.

Now having checked with my son,before sending said post he tells

me that while some do as you say, it is still frowned upon and

will indeed cost you marks in your exams.

I am inclined to believe him, not just because he is my son,but

the fact he got an A in his mocks just 3 weeks ago,and the

insistance of his teacher that the pupils would be marked down

on such items as poor grammar and puntualation.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Giovanni,

Please accept my apologise, I wasn't correcting you I was just saying what I thought was correct now. No offence meant.

Best wishes

Val & Frank

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Giovanni,

Please accept my apologise, I wasn't correcting you I was just saying what I thought was correct now. No offence meant.

Best wishes

Val & Frank
Can you tell me how to smuggle a tumble dryer into the house Frank?

Lisa

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Frank, i didn't take or mean to offend anyone. Like i said i know my grammar ect isn't up to much, would like to improve it

as until last year had not used it for a very long time.

I would love to be able to remember how to spell better and get

my puncuation right.

At the moment have enough trouble understanding that Bad means

good! and Bad means bad!

Just don't tell me that, thats a good thing......lol

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Although I am bilingual, English is my mother tongue but unfortunately my grammar is not that great at times. However I wonder if the person who wrote the derogatory remarks evers reads the local newspaper as sometimes the use of English is atrocious if that is how you spell it.

The other week ther was a headline "Query about takeaway fire". Were they refering to a inferior take away fire that maybe was not hot enough for the BBQ or where they refering to a fire at a take away?

This type of inferior English grammar seems to predominate articles in a number of newspapers and also on the TV. Although I may notice it, I will not target an individual about their use of English grammar or spelling, however a public figure should be reprimanded. How else will we and other individuals learn the correct use of English grammar? What say you?

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Before I started my place of work, I assumed that everyone had a good command of the English language and could spell. We receive on a daily basis lots of letters from the public, I was shocked at how poor the grammar and spelling is. We should'nt poke fun I actually feel sorry for these people. I think the poor spelling and grammar etc on this site is perhaps laziness and we don't see it as a matter of life or death (it's not our English Higher!)

Yvonne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before I started my place of work, I assumed that everyone had a good command of the English language and could spell. We receive on a daily basis lots of letters from the public, I was shocked at how poor the grammar and spelling is. We should'nt poke fun I actually feel sorry for these people. I think the poor spelling and grammar etc on this site is perhaps laziness and we don't see it as a matter of life or death (it's not our English Higher!)

Yvonne
Yvonne stop being lazy, make sure you have applied correct spelling and grammar !

There should be a comma after receive and should'nt is actually spelt shouldn't.

Incidentally what place of work did you start ?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Yvonne

I don't understand your comment '(it's not our English Higher!)'

Could you elaborate please.

Many thanks.

Lisa

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Yvonne

I don't understand your comment '(it's not our English Higher!)'

Could you elaborate please.

Many thanks.

Lisa
I think Yvonne is just saying posts are just that, and not an English Higher exam paper.

I think !!!

Sure someone will be along to correct it!!!!!

Val & Frank

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Yvonne stop being lazy, make sure you have applied correct spelling and grammar !

There should be a comma after receive and should'nt is actually spelt shouldn't.

Incidentally what place of work did you start ?
As I said it's not my English Higher and only a forum

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts