stabilizers

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Last time i was away in my van i got involved in a discussion with a friend about stabilizers. It turns out that in 20years of caravanning he's never used one, or felt the need for one. I well appreciate the fact that a well matched, loaded, and balanced outfit should never need a stabilizer but there is such a thing as expecting the unexpected.You may never need your stabilizer, in the same way as you may never need your seatbelt. But one day it might just save your life. Does anyone else regularly tow without a stabilizer, and for what reason?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I towed without a stabiliser for a couple of seasons. This was because my car is about 1800kg, and the van max 850kg. I think that's within the recommended 85%! The van is a pop-top, so it is only 10cm wider and 15cm higher than the car. I expected this to be a perfectly stable outfit.

On a motorway with a fierce crosswind and plenty of lorries and coaches, I soon felt the effect of the wind. I fitted the AKS1300, and I would not be without it now. In calm driving conditions it makes my stable outfit more stable. And in extreme conditions it keeps me stable. Excellent value.

By the way, don't take any notice of "I can tow at 70 all day without a stabiliser and I don't even know teh caravan is there". If someone is so insensitive to the handling of their vehicle that they cannot feel 1300-1500kg of weight hooked to the back throughout an 8-hour period, then they shouldn't be towing.

But if someone is towing a 1300kg van with a 5.0 V10 313PS TDI VW Touareg, then maybe they really can't feel it????

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Why would you want to drive without something that is a valuable saftey aid.

My brother wrote my van off last year due to a new faulty car tyre "blowing out" he was thouroughly convinced that the stabiliser kept the van in a straight line and helped prevent the van turning over when he was forced into the armco and the whole rig, van amd car span on a cantinental motor way.

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
When we first started caravanning in the late 60s early 70s we were in the Army in Germany (where else) and towed a Sprite Muskateer with a 2ltr Mk3 Cortia Estate,with "Autoballans" spring assisters in the rear,all over Germany, France & Spain without a stabelizer, I wont say I never had a problem, I ocasionally got into "tailwagging" situations, mainly on autobahns where the "tramlines" had developed on the Tarmac sections, but always managed to cope. Then one day in England I saw & read about the "Scott" leaf type stabelizer and decided to buy one. The first time out with it I thought "God" I wished I'd bought one of these things before. And since then I would never be without a stabelizer, they make towing so much more pleasurable. My only regret is that you can no longer buy a 2ltr Mk3 Cortina Estate, best tug I've ever had!!!

Tankie

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I used to be like your friend towed for 20yrs with out a stabilizer could see no need for one. Then one day I was travelling up the M6 where it passes Lancaster university it was a windy day, I know that as you go up the hill and get passed the trees it is exposed to the full force of the wind. I was therfore expecting trouble so reduced speed to 50mph I looked in my side mirror and see this new car with new van comeing up in the 2 second lane as he draws level with me we hit the open section he starts to wobble then with in seconds its a full snake.

I avoid him by inches and go onto the hard shoulder by this time his caravan is at right angles to the direction of travel the caravan tyre rips from wheel it digs into the road this causes the car to be throw into the the central crash barriers. They all were ok but shaken up it was the first time he had towed with the new car and new van he had never done it before and had no stabilizer.

It happened so fast that it made me rethink my view of using a stabilizer I bought one and the first time I used it I realized how much it improved the towing experiance reducing the lorry pull when they pass, I now would never tow with out one, of course you still have to have the car/caravan unit set up right, and it may just give you that bit more time to react to avoid the above.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm no techie Paul so I listen to those who know and to add to what you say I think it has a psychological advantage too. It must have almost made you poop your pants when that happened. In the summer I saw someone have a blow out on their van tyre and that was scarey enough.

Jan 4, 2006
Visit site
I towed without a stabiliser for a couple of seasons. This was because my car is about 1800kg, and the van max 850kg. I think that's within the recommended 85%! The van is a pop-top, so it is only 10cm wider and 15cm higher than the car. I expected this to be a perfectly stable outfit.

On a motorway with a fierce crosswind and plenty of lorries and coaches, I soon felt the effect of the wind. I fitted the AKS1300, and I would not be without it now. In calm driving conditions it makes my stable outfit more stable. And in extreme conditions it keeps me stable. Excellent value.

By the way, don't take any notice of "I can tow at 70 all day without a stabiliser and I don't even know teh caravan is there". If someone is so insensitive to the handling of their vehicle that they cannot feel 1300-1500kg of weight hooked to the back throughout an 8-hour period, then they shouldn't be towing.

But if someone is towing a 1300kg van with a 5.0 V10 313PS TDI VW Touareg, then maybe they really can't feel it????
I couldn`t agree more mike,

I wonder if these idiots who dont seem to need any safety measures check the rest of their vans ( tyres and brakes etc)

dave

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
When we first started caravanning in the late 60s early 70s we were in the Army in Germany (where else) and towed a Sprite Muskateer with a 2ltr Mk3 Cortia Estate,with "Autoballans" spring assisters in the rear,all over Germany, France & Spain without a stabelizer, I wont say I never had a problem, I ocasionally got into "tailwagging" situations, mainly on autobahns where the "tramlines" had developed on the Tarmac sections, but always managed to cope. Then one day in England I saw & read about the "Scott" leaf type stabelizer and decided to buy one. The first time out with it I thought "God" I wished I'd bought one of these things before. And since then I would never be without a stabelizer, they make towing so much more pleasurable. My only regret is that you can no longer buy a 2ltr Mk3 Cortina Estate, best tug I've ever had!!!

Tankie
We had that outfit as well - Sprite Musketeer, Cortina 2000XL. We never had a stabiliser either, only problems with the car was the void bushes, they were renewed about every six months!!

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I bought an Electric Bike a few months ago and wish it had stabilisers fitted.

I fell of twice on returning from the pub. Can anybody suggest a decent stabiliser for a drunken biker.

Name and address withheld to avoid embarrasment.

May 20, 2005
Visit site

I fell of twice on returning from the pub. Can anybody suggest a decent stabiliser for a drunken biker.

Lemonade

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

its not the drink, you just need a longer cable!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts