Steam generated , electric traction tow car, the future?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EVs in Norway will have to cope with the "Dipped headlight at all times whilst driving law" which is common in many countries in that part of the world.
Modern LED headlights have lower power drain than halogen and because of their much improved efficiency give out more lumens per watt, and thus far the Norwegians seem to cope with it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Norway’s transition to total EV is to be envied but as the last posts show they have had a number of advantages over the U.K.
Very low population, some seriously large subsidies on EV price, a consistent long term energy plan, hydro etc.
Perhaps it’s wrong to even consider the U.K. could realistically mirror Norway’s achievement ? Our entire infrastructure, poor energy production decisions, 80 million population and ever changing politics will no doubt imo delay the realistic ban of ICE new sales way beyond 2030.

Has anyone seen a business model showing the socio eco effects of going EV 2030 , and each year thereafter to say 2040. Just interested . Please no lectures on pros and cons of “green”.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Maybe they have a better infrastructure for the charging of EVs than what the UK has? Remember they have a total population of just over 5 million with plenty of land available whereas the UK has over 65 million living on a tiny island where charging at home is very limited.
I am not sure the term "very limited" is accurate, but "not ubiquitous" would certainly be valid. I.e. "many" , but not "most" could not have access. Studies have shown that somewhere around 2/5th of UK homes may not be suitable for home charging because of a lack of driveway. That means somewhat more than 1/2 are suitable.

Having said that - I totally agree that for real wide spread adoption, cost effective and widely available solutions do need to be found for those who cannot home charge.

It is good news that all new UK buildings will need to provide EV charging (where a car parking space is associated with the car or business) , so new housing and workplaces will have provision.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure the term "very limited" is accurate, but "not ubiquitous" would certainly be valid. I.e. "many" , but not "most" could not have access. Studies have shown that somewhere around 2/5th of UK homes may not be suitable for home charging because of a lack of driveway. That means somewhat more than 1/2 are suitable.

Having said that - I totally agree that for real wide spread adoption, cost effective and widely available solutions do need to be found for those who cannot home charge.

It is good news that all new UK buildings will need to provide EV charging (where a car parking space is associated with the car or business) , so new housing and workplaces will have provision.
I suggested "most" as with high rise flats or buildings it may be impractical to retrospectively install connections due to costs etc. Many housing estates do not have driveways to allow for the installation for EV charging especially inner city areas.

In our village more than half the homes have on street parking so impractical for EV chargers due to costs. Our village and others close by do not have street lighting either and there could be concerns about theft.

Even we we wanted an EV which we could not afford, we would only be able to charge it at a location where we would probably pay a higher price per kwh. We would always be suffering from range anxiety although if we lived in an urban area that may not be so bad.

• Sad
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst not towing range shouldn’t be be an issue. There are charging points installed in lots of unexpected places. Our local farm shops have them, and the truck stop cafe Pit Stop J17 M4 have installed a good number too. When our grandson had a Tesla he commented that he didn’t realise how many were dotted around. He was particularly impressed in Scotland. The other thing he did was to just go for a quick top up to get him home so he could then use cheaper electric.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I suggested "most" as with high rise flats or buildings it may be impractical to retrospectively install connections due to costs etc. Many housing estates do not have driveways to allow for the installation for EV charging especially inner city areas.

In our village more than half the homes have on street parking so impractical for EV chargers due to costs. Our village and others close by do not have street lighting either and there could be concerns about theft.

Even we we wanted an EV which we could not afford, we would only be able to charge it at a location where we would probably pay a higher price per kwh. We would always be suffering from range anxiety although if we lived in an urban area that may not be so bad.
Understood, there are "many" locations that cant, but it remains the case that "most" can. And, as I say, practical and economic solutions do need to be found for the many in the minority who can't home charge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never considered the introduction of EV's in the UK as being easy. There has so far been consistent doubts about the way the charging infrastructure can be fully implemented, especially through lack of consistent Government direction regarding standards, and consistency of payment provision, but as with any emerging technology, innovative solutions often arise over time that do make the move towards EV's easier.

It's also apparent that living with an EV is never going to be the same as living with ICE technology, it's going to be different! and peoples mindsets about the convenience of just popping to the fuel station may need to be modified to accommodate the way EV's charge and the way we travel longer distances. It's a question of planning ahead. - not all that different to planning a long-distance drive where you plan for comfort brakes.

When you consider how far EV's have improved in the last 10 years, and with the prospect of even better batteries (such as Solid State) which are being suggested could give an EV a 600 mile range, a lifespan of over 6000 charge cycles of 20 to 80% in only 10 minutes and a cumulative working distance of 1,000,000 miles, the differences between ICE and EV are getting smaller.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Understood, there are "many" locations that cant, but it remains the case that "most" can. And, as I say, practical and economic solutions do need to be found for the many in the minority who can't home charge.
Tobes , you said
Studies have shown that somewhere around 2/5th of UK homes may not be suitable for home charging because of a lack of driveway
Is that the many in the minority?😉
I think we all agree the ICE will eventually end but I suspect not in our lifetimes.
Is there such a thing as a large mobile charging unit that could serve Buckman’s village?
The AA for one carry emergency fast charging equipment . I haven’t seen it but a friend has seen them use it on his Tesla!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts