Stolen Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just discovered that the beautiful caravan I purchased in a private sale last year was in fact a stolen caravan.As such I have just watched the insurance company, who have paid out on the claim and as such are the rightful owners, tow away my pride and joy this morning.I am now over £5000 out of pocket and I was wondering is there anyone out there who has been in a similar position and if so did you get your money back ?.Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you have details of the people you bought it from? Did you check their details if they gave you any?

If you but stolen goods and they are then "recoverred" - it is my understanding that you have little chance of getting your money back.

Caveat Emptor applies.

Very sad for you Joe - but a warning to us all. If you buy privately - document everything, check the address against the electoral register. Ask for ID. - passport driving licence etc.

Any resistance to "normal" checks - just walk away.

If anyone needed evidence as to what scum caravan thieves or any thieves are for that matter - just think about the sadness these b*st*rds have caused to two families - the first owner and now Joe.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss Joe. However, I agree with CliveV that I doubt that anything can be done.

Next time you go and buy a van take heed of what CliveV has said.

Ask pertinent question. Look at the van log book and take the name and address for checking (before parting with any cash). CHRIS are very helpful. They cannot answer questions as such, but if you couch your questions in such a way that the only response if Yes or No they are very helpful.

If the details on the log book are different from the address of sale ask for the telephone number of the owner so you can talk with them.

We looked at a caravan and wasn't too happy with the seller who said he was a dealer, but only sold a few vans yearly for a 'mate'! We took details of the owner (who did not live at the sellers address) and had a ride out (150 mile round trip) to find out about the van. Nobody home, of course! However, we put a note through the door and asked them to telephone us.

Amazingly they did and we were given all the relevant details. Still not happy so walked away.

We had several follow-up calls from the 'seller' who seemed to be having difficulty getting it off his land!!! I wonder why?

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Joe, I just had another thought! Did you buy the van from a dealership? If so you may be OK as the onus would be on them to make sure there was nothing outstanding against the van you bought.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Joe, should have read you thread again. I realise now it was a private sale.

Why not go round to the property where you bought it from and see if you can get hold of the seller. Long shot, I know, but just trying to be helpful.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Joe, My heart goes out to you. I have seen this happen before and I'm afraid there is usually nothing that you can do about it other than report as many details as you can to the law. This won't get your van back but you might be able to slam the ba*t**ds up for a while?

Have you contacted the insurance people that took your van away to see if they can advise you in any way?

I would advise anyone to buy from a reputable dealer if not for the benefit of a warrenty, but for peace of mind in case your new purchase is stolen, or under a hire purchase agreement,

Best of luck in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts