Stop flashing at me

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Does anyone know of a particular brand of carbon monoxide detector that doesn't routinely flash a light, ours flashes a bright green light every 30 seconds, it lights up our van at night, and I'm finding it hard to get used to.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
On a previous second hand van, the previous owner had solved the problem with a small piece of black gaffer tape . It was a surprisingly long lived modification. 😀

Reactions: Richtee180
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The ones we have had only flash to warn of a low battery. We had one which would flash even with brand new batteries unless they were Duracell or other top of the range batteries.

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
One night I lay in bed in the ( not so ) dark in our two berth Sprite ( hence the front sofas) and counted the light sources:
Smoke alarm flashing
CO alarm flashing
Solar panel charging flashing visible through edges of cupboard.
Fridge indicator light on.
Glow from TV arial box visible through edges of bathroom door
Sargent alarm sensor flashing if I get out of bed.
Glow around edges of USB chargers ( Lord knows where that comes from but I can see it).
Clock on microwave illuminated.

I may have missed one.

Seriously considering investing in a sleep mask ( and ear plugs to block out OH snoring)

Mel

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
One night I lay in bed in the ( not so ) dark in our two berth Sprite ( hence the front sofas) and counted the light sources:
Smoke alarm flashing
CO alarm flashing
Glow around edges of USB chargers ( Lord knows where that comes from but I can see it).

I may have missed one.

Seriously considering investing in a sleep mask ( and ear plugs to block out OH snoring)

Mel
I unplug the tv as that has a bright red led in standby, the carbon monoxide detector flashes green every 30s, the smoke detector red flashes randomly, both are opposite a mirror so I get a full reflection too, so I cover most of the mirror with a coat but I still get the flashes from the area by the door.

According to mr Google some cmd flash arr arr, and some don't.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I unplug the tv as that has a bright red led in standby, the carbon monoxide detector flashes green every 30s, the smoke detector red flashes randomly, both are opposite a mirror so I get a full reflection too, so I cover most of the mirror with a coat but I still get the flashes from the area by the door.

According to mr Google some cmd flash arr arr, and some don't.
The TV! I knew I had missed one!
Caravans are designed by idiots.
To top it all, if you manage to sleep through Blackpool illuminations, the pleated blinds each have two lines of holes a third of the way from each edge that the string goes through. This is something of a new innovation. So come 5 am in the Summer, in comes the daylight.

Mel

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I've cut mine down as much as I can.
USB sockets off
TV off at the wall
Solar controller in cupboard so hidden
Radio TV amp etc in cupboard so hidden
Not noticed the CO or smoke alarm flashing

Things that do shine
Fridge I hang a tea towel over the display
WiFi router turned round so lamps away from us.

As for noise the world is almost silent once my hearing aids are out😲

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Smoke alarm flashing
CO alarm flashing

I may have missed one.

Mel
What no night light to aid hubbies night time walks?

We always had a nightlight, it stopped young campers treading on the dogs.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a particular brand of carbon monoxide detector that doesn't routinely flash a light, ours flashes a bright green light every 30 seconds, it lights up our van at night, and I'm finding it hard to get used to.
You could try a FireAngel carbon monoxide alarm we had one in our caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, is it this one?
The heartbeat symbol on the left of three icons will flash green. I doubt that you will find any detector that doesn’t flash to show it is functioning and not detecting anything. Battery operated ones with replaceable batteries are no longer legal in Scotland. Quite frankly if the light causes disturbance just mask it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Items like TV's and smoke and CO detectors are rarely designed specifically with caravans in mind. They are usually a normal domestic product with perhaps a few modifications and a new exterior moulding assembled for the caravan/leisure market. In some cases its part of a legal requirement to have a means of visibley of indicating a device is operating.

I have to concur with Mel in #2, the cheapest, and usually effective way of resolving the OP's problem is to obscure the indicator with a bit of dark insulation tape. It does not affect the performance of the device, or need the device to be changed.

Reactions: Mel and Richtee180
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Items like TV's and smoke and CO detectors are rarely designed specifically with caravans in mind. They are usually a normal domestic product with perhaps a few modifications and a new exterior moulding assembled for the caravan/leisure market. In some cases its part of a legal requirement to have a means of visibley of indicating a device is operating.

I have to concur with Mel in #2, the cheapest, and usually effective way of resolving the OP's problem is to obscure the indicator with a bit of dark insulation tape. It does not affect the performance of the device, or need the device to be changed.
Thanks, it's what I'll try.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Battery operated ones with replaceable batteries are no longer legal in Scotland. Quite frankly if the light causes disturbance just mask it.
Not only that but interlinked, except for the CO detector.

Yet I bought my caravan from a Scottish dealer and both detectors are battery operated. I guess they'd have to be because you could be off grid 😉

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What no night light to aid hubbies night time walks?

We always had a nightlight, it stopped young campers treading on the dogs.
Plenty of night light in our caravan - the fridge control lights, the microwave clock and Freesat box off light are more than enough to find my way to the bathroom.

Lunars have a fancy nightlight showing the word "Lunar" but we never have it on!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of night light in our caravan - the fridge control lights, the microwave clock and Freesat box off light are more than enough to find my way to the bathroom.

Lunars have a fancy nightlight showing the word "Lunar" but we never have it on!
None of those lights were on when we went to bed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts