Stop-over going "Down South"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're travelling from St Malo to Central/Eastern Med at the end of May, not sure exactly where on the Med yet!!

We would appreciate an suggestions for us (me and "her indoors") and our little white box on wheels for a suitable stop over for the way down (and possibly back - to Caen then - if that would be different).

Currently planning to do the drive on the Autoroutes and over two days.

Any comments please

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
More details of the route you are intending to make would be helpful.

If you are not sure try www.viamichelin.com
I agree with you sentiment, it is very hard to offer any constructive advice with such a broad question.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
As already mentioned your destination is significant for route sugestions. However apart from that, I too will be travelling that way a little earlier than you but in the past I have found that even in May open sites are harder to find than later in the year.I use a site at Montaigue called camping Eden that is open all year and close to the N137 south of Nantes and 140 miles from St Malo for a night halt when travelling south.

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly route is dependent on destination - so here goes.

Option 1 Perpignan area

Route - Rennes, Nantes, Niort, Bordeaux Toulouse with one stop - but wheres the question

Option 2 Montpellier (Sommieres)

Route - Rennes, Le Mans, Tours, Vierzon, Clermont Ferrand, Millau etc.

Option 3 St Raphael/Agay

As Route 2 to Clermont Ferrand then Lyon and as Michelin etc say.

All journeys would appear to be doable with two days driving even if they are both long days. We've done Mezos (Les Landes)from St Malo and back to Caen in a day - and there we were "helped" by the kids!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul,If you use route 2 thee is a good site about 9km south of Clermont Ferrand. A night halt would be fine in May but very difficult in July & August www.camping-le-clos-auroy.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As we are most likely to end up in Montpelier region route 2 is the most likely.

Many thanks Evans that link is very interesting. The Stop points seems very comprehensive!!!! Lots of ideas as to where to stop - depending on how the day's driving goes.

From the two routes I've looked at I would recommend them to anyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts