Strange 'creaking' noise from van when towing

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hope some one can help on this.

Just back from a trip to Cornwall and I think we have a problem with the van but not sure where to start looking.

There's a very loud creaking or squeaking noise coming from the van and is very noticeable when you go over rough ground , bumpy roads and speed humps to the point you can hear it (with the car windows down) on the motorway.

I think its coming from the axle (or that area) as I heard when going over a speed hump at the services.

The van is a 2008 Elddis Avante Club 505 , we've only towed it 3 times (had it from new) and this problem is getting worse. I'll get it into the dealer asap but they're stacked up with work so not sure it will be before our next outing

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can start to check to eliminate things myself.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
loads of posts on here about creaking. You won't find them cos the search facility is naff. Generally means you've got muck on the stabiliser pads on the tow hitch. Have you scoured all the paint off the tow ball and then cleaned it. You may need to clean the pads on the stabiliser. Brake and clutch cleaner is generally recommened.

mel

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi RogerP

I decided to take our caravan out for a spin the other day and too noticed a noise from behind I have an Elddis Amber 556 owned for 2 years and never noticed a noise before so will be taking out again next weeekend hopefully to get to the bottom of it. I dont believe my noise is from the caravan( initial thought was Hitch )but from the rear springs on my car after watching the way my wife drives over the speed humps ( no caravan attached )this would not surprise me. Tim

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
My wife is pretty sure that the noise was coming from the axle area of the van.

As I pulled off the pitch on Saturday she was walking by the nearside van axle area and it was very prominant.

Also as we went over the speed humps there was no sound until the van went over. If it was the hitch I'd presume you'd get some noise when the car went over too (may be wrong?).

I've cleaned the paint from the tow ball as others recommend and I've been quite meticulous to do this knowing that it can cause problems.

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
RogerP, you don't state if you have a spare wheel carrier or not. My friend had a new Elddis Oddysey and his was doing exactly the same. Through a process of elimination we narrowed it down to the spare wheel carrier. You would have put money on it being the hitch when you were in the car but when walking at the side of the van the noise was obviously coming from the axle area. We removed the carrier and liberally greased the mounting points and hey presto no noise. This was an Al-ko carrier and I don't know if it should come with rubber grommets in the chassis or not but on his van it was metal to metal - maybe someone on here knows about the grommets?

Thanks Dave

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Roger P the ALKO wheel carrier should have come with rubber grommets that fit into the already drilled holes in the frame of your van .go onto Alko wedsite (www.Alko.co.uk )they might send some out to you .OR a cheep way to sort the noise is cut some hose pipe the size of the tube and slip over the tube that goes into the framework of the van.

hope this helps Duggie

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
sorry for not replying sooner.

anyway I've had a look at the spare carrier and it does indeed look like its the cause. Unbelieveable noise from it when I give it a wiggle.

I had a quick look at getting it off to rectify but it needed a bit more effort than time allows me. Its going in next week for its service so I'll get the dealer to do it for me.

Not checked the hitch properly yet other than a quick feel (oooo eeerrr misses) and the pads felt smooth almost like glass so again I'll get the dealer on the case.

Thanks for the info I was starting to worry I'd got one almighty problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts