Suggestions needed for an economical 4x4 crewcab pickup for towing...

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I currently tug a Bailey Discovery 516 (1234 kg gross) with a 1995 Shogun GLS: The outfit tows fine, but is a tad sluggish on gradients & very thirsty.
I'm a self-employed gardener/handyman & am thinking to replace my old transporter van with a 4x4 crewcab-type pickup & use this as my towcar as well.
My requirements would be :
Sufficient power to tug @ 65mph, all day, up hill & down dale: We live in Cornwall, so the up-gradient on the A30 to Sourton Cross is a constant embarrassment, particularly when some chuffer messes me about so I can't get a run-up!
Good control over the caravan in adverse conditions - the Shogun has spoiled me {:~)
30+mpg solo & best possible when tugging.
A rigid roof for the butt, as I carry expensive tools for work.
And, here's the rub - I really don't want to spend more than about £8,000, so late models are out.

I'd be grateful for any experiences & suggestions as to what models to look at,

Pete

Jun 1, 2007
Visit site
I have an 07 Navara which tows our Ranger 540/6 like its not there.
Solo around town i get 28mpg so on the A30 you should see 30+. I worked out 24mpg when towing.

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Now this is the sort of information Ive been looking for - we've been looking at the Navara - but as yet not come across anyone who drags a caravan with one.- until now...
I've a few questions but the main one is have you gone abroad with the navara/rager? as it's something we're a tad worried at - the over all length for the ferry

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a 06 navara aventura for 3 years and it was a great tow car. I pulled a Bailey senator twin axle max 1750kg and it was a really stable tug. Used to get 30 solo and 23 towing. I think they have a lot of trouble with flywheels and the rear axle but most cars have some faults. If you listened to most people on here you wouldnt buy any car lol. A bit tight in the back with very upright seats. I had an auto for a week it was ok but a bit noisy and revvy. I prefered the manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts