Suggestions please

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Been out today looking at 'vans. Will be our first purchase. We can afford new but would settle for something recent if it had a substantial saving. Have been offered a 2004 model coachman amara 500/5 for £11,400. Its new, just never been sold yet. Is this a good van. Dealer also has a couple of similar Elddis vans for similar money (Illusion 505 for 12750) but he says that the coachman is a better built van and offers a few more extras (cd, external gas and 240v etc). Any thoughts or other similar models to look at. As we have a three year old that wont settle at night that well at times we thought that having a rear berth with a solid divider would be better than a side bunk (and end washroom) that just has a curtain around it. Hopefully this would offer some higher level of sound insulation for her. I am 6'1 tall so cant see that the showers in any van will be that much use for me, so a small shower room isnt a problem.

Thanks, Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Assume you have first checked the weight ratios etc. against your tow car - if not, read any of the numerous threads about such things first.

Coachman seem to have a better reputation for reliability - see CC survey in receint magazine issues.

This is a good time to look for unsold 2005 model year (MY) vans as the 2006 vans come in just after September. A 2004 MY still unsold would be an even better bet if it suits you and if you intend to keep the van some years. After about 5 years the depreciation curves tend to level out.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Steve, my partner is also 6'1 " tall. We have been caravanning for just 4 months and love it that much we have just bought a brand new Adria. This has a sold door that slides across at the bottom shutting the little cherubs in and giving them a more peaceful sleep. My daughter is 7 and she is positively excited about our first trip away in it this weekend. I dont know of any other dealers but if you ring Gateway Caravans in Batley, im sure they will tell you where the nearest dealer to you is. I found them very helpful and seemingly honest, i think you need a bit of trust when its your first time in buying...good luck...ps, you can also stand up in the shower!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts