Suitable wheel lock suggestions please

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Dear all
My van has steel 5 stud 175 r 14 c 8pr wheels, the type with holes all around the inner rim.
Would anyone mind offering suggestions for a wheel lock.
My current sways are the nemesis ultra and the milenco compact wheel clamp.
Does anyone know of any comparability issues?
Many thanks
D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying that the Nemis Ultra won't fit because you have a different caravan now? If it won't fit then perhaps a Bulldog Titan may be better but it's too heavy for touring with.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Morning derama ,
I had the same problem with ours when we changed our Baileys Orion to the Sprite that we have now , we have the bulldog wheel clamp , I've had it for over 5 years now, my problem was that I could not get the bar to slide round tyre so me and a friend of mine got out my trolley jack put the trolley jack on to the bit that goes where the tyre would slide between / be inserted and extended the bit of metal only by a little bit which enables it to stretch the metal housing just a little bit to fit around and lock securely , don't know if this will help . Good luck
Craig

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Thanks both. Apologies for the confusion. i don;t have any clamps at the moment. I'm looking at buying one (or two) and wondered if anyone has those types of steel wheels and clamp combinations. Thank you!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the Nemisis Ultra and it is certainly the easiest wheel clamp to fit and reasonably secure. I would not go for any make of lightweight wheel clamp as their security is far less in most cases. They are best reserved for if you leave the caravan for a meal or other reason in a busy area like a services.
The best security is the ALKO wheel lock but I do not know if you can fit that and it is expensive and can be a pain to line up. Next best I would say is the standard Nemisis, I also have this, which is far heavier than most and a real problem to beat but all clamps can be overcome.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't get too involved in what's better or worse when this happens to any!
21271325_10213572752135175_8079907640736175098_n.jpg

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It does appear that there has been a theft of a caravan using the ALKO wheel lock. The fact remains that removing this is extremely difficult and very few thieves have the skill to do this so I would not write them off just because of this one reported theft. All security devices simply buy you time and in some cases more time than others and this should buy you the most for a transportable device.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whatever clamp you use is merely a deterrent.
The most important thing is to insure your caravan with a reputable Insurer.. Fully comply with all their conditions and warranties.
If your caravan is still stolen pray it isn't recovered. You and SWMBO will never love it again :(
Harsh? Yes. But reality :)
Clamp wise the Bulldog Titan takes some beating. Heavy yes. Carry it in the car.
Currently I use two Al-ko wheel locks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Titan and Alko. But I think with the cutting gear available to would be thieves the Titan is probably more susceptible than the Alko. There’s a real heavyweight Milenco filled with concrete. But how that would fare is interesting. As said above I favour a multiple approach when it’s at home. Alko, Titan wheel locks, Alko hitchlock. And a couple of leg steady locks. The aim being to make the thieves go elsewhere where theft might be easier and quicker.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Since we've got the mover put on ours and the caravan comes home now and again the hitch goes to the garage door away from the road and 1 off 2 cars at the beginning of the drive so no one can get on or off the drive plus all the locks are on to

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Milenco with the concrete filling is supposed to have never been overcome and for storage at home might be worth considering. It is simply too heavy though for touring unless you have a Transit or something that can carry it and the muscles of an ox..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's generally accepted that if the low life really wants your van they will get it.
Many insurers accept a Sold Secure rated chain, along with a rated hitch lock and alarm ith tilt or motion senors or any two of the three
So consider a Sold Secure Chain and lock against a clamp. Chains will fit most anything and are not much less resistant but much easier to fit and store.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts