Summer Season

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone experienced problems in continueing to insure their caravan for siting for the summer season. My caravan is insured for normal use and including storage at home with the necessary wheel clamp, etc. We wish to site the van on a commercial site in Devon over the summer period (April to October) but are experiencing difficulties for continual insurance cover with our present insurers. I understand that there could possibly be an excess to pay but it appears at present that I will not be covered. The site is a first class family site which we have visited for over 14 years for holidays but never previously sited the van there. There are many vans which are sited there for the full year with no troubles regarding accident. theft, etc.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Colin

If you believe the site to be secure, and you have Alko Wheel Locks and Steady Locks consider is it worth the cost of insuring the Van ?? I assume you will be spending quite a lot of the Summer at this site ?? so the chance of theft will be minimum. Contents will be covered by Home Insurance !!!

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin,

I would suggest a different insurance company, perhaps park home insurance. I got a very competative quote from them recently and we used to have a static caravan insured through them so I would think that given the fact they insure statics they would also insure a tourer on a seasonal pitch.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Trucker

Hang on

Alko Wheel locks sold Gold Secure one of the best security devices so far designed.

Cassoa Gold Site secure storage.

Take the wheels off if you don't think it's that'secure

The chances of a caravan being stolen from a summer site when you are in it is Remote.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Colin, I share Trucker's scepticism about no insurance. We never know if or when our vans might become a target - and if thieves want the van no locks or alarms made will stop them. Only you can weigh the risk.

Anyway, we had the same problem as you, but have insured our tourer on a seasonal site with the Camping and Caravan Club's Insurance Services (you don't have to be a member, but there's a discount if you are).

You will need the usual security locks and it will be cheaper if you agree an excess. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Talking to a member of HM police the other day - caravan pinched from services on M4 in England. Police stopped orange Transit van towing caravan and when it went to court they put up the argument that they had been sleeping in the Transit and did not realise the caravan was hitched until stopped by police - would you believe it - the b******s got away with it and were let off by the court.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gumbo

Colin never said anything about the security arrangements. Where do you get your data from? Sorry if I have missed something here??

Short term Insurance premium rates are the most expensive way to insure. Ridiculous.

Anyway , using your "module" what happens if the site is flooded out and ruins his baby or he has a fire?

Cheers

Dustydog

May 25, 2008
Visit site
what happens if the site is flooded out and ruins his baby or he has a fire?

Like your house don't put it on a Flood Plain !!!! I have never seen an Occupied Tourer Burnt Out on any site I have ever been on. That is just good management,coupled with Correct Servicing etc

The Insurance Companies will be asking about a Sites Flood Potential very shortly, and they won't insure you for Flooding if you pitch on a site that has flooded previously, unless very good precautions have been taken since the flood.

They already ask for the Flood information on Storage Sites.

I still await how many vans are stolen in the UK I would still wager it is not 1 in 10,000. Don't forget it is in the interest of Insurance Companies to worry people. If Stolen vans are such a great problem why don't the Insurance Companies force through more procecutions. Thieves would not get away with it if a Very High Profile QC was used.

By the way this started out about a Seasonal Pitch in Devon so I assumed Colin would be occupying the van all Summer, reducing the risk to almost ZERO.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gumbo

There is nothing at all wrong with what you advocate. In fact in a hard insurance market it is quite common for companies to self insure or take huge excesses.

The real queston is could any of us take the chance? A personal choice but as I spent a lot on my caravan insuring just gives me peace of mind.

Is it possible for some of the major caravan insurers to give us their views and more importantly some statistics which may just prove Gumbos point??

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Back to the original enquiry.

Colin - are you in a possition to find out from other people using the site for a seasonal pitch how they go about insuring thier vans and at what cost?

Perhaps the site owner could recommend.

Which site is it? I'm in South Devon.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Is it possible for some of the major caravan insurers to give us their views and more importantly some statistics which may just prove Gumbos point??

To much Profit in it for that, I'm afraid. The market would collapse overnight if they published the figures. I don't know of anyone ever having a van stolen who took real sensible precautions. OK I admit someone may have had one nicked, but again rarer than we are led to believe. No one would lift our van from the M4 why ??? because we would never leave it without someone staying with it. From a CC site ( Not Storage ) ??? rare as hens teeth. From a Cassoa Gold site again as rare as hens teeth.

Total smash on the Motorway possible would agree, it happens but not very often though. When it does it tends to me not very well maintained units, and inexperienced towers

Any others ???

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Gumbo, alot of what ifs starting to come out,

as has been said what about flood, fire, or even someone reversing into it whilst in storage when not in devon.

My point was far too many risks for me im not a gambling man so insurance is the only way to go im afraid, if its too much for a particular risk then I would look at changing the risk not cancel the insurance.

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back to the original enquiry.

Colin - are you in a possition to find out from other people using the site for a seasonal pitch how they go about insuring thier vans and at what cost?

Perhaps the site owner could recommend.

Which site is it? I'm in South Devon.
The site is Widend at Marldon. We have been there for the past 14 years and find it an excellent site and very central for south Devon so now we are both retired have decided to site the van there for the season.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Gumbo, alot of what ifs starting to come out,

as has been said what about flood, fire, or even someone reversing into it whilst in storage when not in devon.

My point was far too many risks for me im not a gambling man so insurance is the only way to go im afraid, if its too much for a particular risk then I would look at changing the risk not cancel the insurance.

Kevin
I never used "if" once. It is an individual choice at the end of the day. What I was trying to put across was the risk is very very low in my opinion.

A well balanced outfit with an experienced owner and with a good service history, need not be afraid of the low risk.

Look at it from this point of view

Most of the time the van is on a Cassoa site.

When it is not on a Cassoa site it is on say a CC site.

If it is not on a Cassoa Site or CC site it is on a Commercial Site or a CL Site with you in it.

It is equipped with the highest level of security Alko Wheel Locks, Trackers Steady Lock, Alarms.

The risk is travelling to Site which I admit is a risk but very low.

I rest my case.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
I never used "if" once. It is an individual choice at the end of the day. What I was trying to put across was the risk is very very low in my opinion.

A well balanced outfit with an experienced owner and with a good service history, need not be afraid of the low risk.

Look at it from this point of view

Most of the time the van is on a Cassoa site.

When it is not on a Cassoa site it is on say a CC site.

If it is not on a Cassoa Site or CC site it is on a Commercial Site or a CL Site with you in it.

It is equipped with the highest level of security Alko Wheel Locks, Trackers Steady Lock, Alarms.

The risk is travelling to Site which I admit is a risk but very low. Cost over 10 years

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Gumbo,

Where did you get the idea from that a seasonal pitch is a cassoa gold site?????

If its on a pitch I would say thats less secure than in a storage compound or in my garden.

Who said anything about an alarm or tracker

With a seasonal pitch I thought the idea was visit as and whan without the towing not as you sugest living in it for the season.

What about awning damage, it only takes 1 storm to rip the awnig from the side of the van and over the top. I supose thats as rare as hens teath as well.

As for not insuring the caravan, not in a million years, why not ask on this and other forums about caravan theft if you think its not a problem "rare as hens teath"

I tell you whats rare as hens teath is the fact that you can leave your property these days without it being knicked.

All I was trying to point out was the fact that some people are new to this game and MAY believe what has been said in this thread about not insuring, as far as im concerned no insurance is absolutly stupid, if you cant afford to cover the risk ie my caravan 14.6k. Can I afford to replace if it got nicked without insurance......... NO so I insure it, common sense to me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gumbo

I have the answer for you having read all the previous threads.

Why don't you agree to insure our caravans for a premium of

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Insurance covers more than theft and contents, also think of 3rd party liability, if your van catches fire and it spreads to ajacent units insurance would cover this as well. I would shop around, there has to be available insurance for season pitches. Some seasonal pitches have it in the small print that the van must be insured. If you are having difficulties could be worth talking to the site owner, or even some other owners on the site to see who they are insured through.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Where did you get the idea from that a seasonal pitch is a cassoa gold site?????

I didn't say that at all. Please read correctly before you post.

If you can find another 16 people willing to risk

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Gumbo read your own post heres a snipit for you to look at and then sy you didnt mention a cassoa site

Gumbo wrote

Trucker

Hang on

Alko Wheel locks sold Gold Secure one of the best security devices so far designed.

Cassoa Gold Site secure storage.

Take the wheels off if you don't think it's that'secure

The chances of a caravan being stolen from a summer site when you are in it is Remote.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts