Summer, what summer?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think this has to be one of the worst summers in a very long time. The steak has been waiting a long time to be eaten, but sadly we keep putting it off as no fun doing a BBQ in the rain.

Strangely almost the same where my brother lives in Cape Town. They have never had so much rain in the winter in a number of years and temperatures have dropped as low as 6C. In other places they have had snow for the first time in history in areas of Kwazulu known for its warmth even in the deepest winter. For once the dams are all full when most were down to 50% of capacity. Also it was impossible to travel north or east along the coast as both mountain passes were blocked.

Anyway here in the good old UK we have been trying to carry on doing the garden with finishing touches. but dodging in and out of showers and eventually gave up. feel sorry for those who are away or have booked to go away within the next few days. Our "adopted" daughter arrives in the UK from SA on Saturday expecting lovely warm sunshine as at the moment in Johannesburg area where she lives it was snowing and temeprature during the day is only about 11C.

Reactions: Jonny and Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's been a warm summer so far and the rain has been localised, but very heavy where it did fall.

We've just had 3 weeks away, staying within 50 miles of home to allow return for hospital appointments, warm and sunny most of the time - biggest issue has been finding a decent weather forecast, the BBC seems to be rubbish since they dropped the Met Office!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Early last month in June it was quite pleasant with some really hot days however since the summer solistice the weather has deteriorated quite quickly. We have had some really heavy rain in our area. Last Friday it was nice and hot, but on Saturday in Worcester at about 6pm, the rain was that heavy that the wipers could hardly cope, but where we live 5 miles away not a drop?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We've had several BBQs in June, and early July, and I was watering the garden and containers in June like mad, with the lawn going brown, but that doesn't get water anytime. We even bought another pedestal fan for the bedroom and lifted the loft access at nights. So from our perspective the summer hasn't been at all bad. We have another BBQ planed for this Friday with a group of friends so hope the weather is okay for that.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The day before yesterday we had the first decent rainfall for many weeks here. Everything is parched. On top of that it was 36 degrees outside today. It's been so hot recently that we packed the caravan and went away up north for a week just to have a chance to cool down.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Only use Met office . First class . Most of this years BBQs have been slow roasts . Last two weeks away only two days of heavy rain. In fact the hottest two weeks this year

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are in Buckinghamshire and although we have had a few few days or rain, mostly it has been very nice dry weather with just a few days in the high 20c . BBQ most days. Electric cost for cooking nice and low.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We live in North Lincs we had some warm days and when we had thunder it certainly rains but it done our garden a world of good our grass is a lovely and green in July

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly we are the only people who have missed the thunder having picked sites that missed in when away earlier and having come home ,still only had a rumble in the background.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We cannot even cut the lawn due to frequesnt showers and it is not looking very untidy and unkempt. On average we having two to three showers a day and also the odd very heavy downpour.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We cannot even cut the lawn due to frequesnt showers and it is not looking very untidy and unkempt. On average we having two to three showers a day and also the odd very heavy downpour.
I feel your pain, not being able to use that smashing new mower. Next time a robo mower could be a good idea. Meanwhile I live with a wet spaniel who positively loves the wet stuff, and the nearby stream. Even my good lady has remarked “ your dog smells”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I feel your pain, not being able to use that smashing new mower. Next time a robo mower could be a good idea. Meanwhile I live with a wet spaniel who positively loves the wet stuff, and the nearby stream. Even my good lady has remarked “ your dog smells”.
Having that self propelled cordless mower has really changed my life as previously it was always OH that cut the grass. Although OH now has a gammy leg, even OH can manage the new mower. We also invested in a strimmer that has a wheel which makes it a doddle to cut the edges when it is NOT raining. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife manage to cut the grass yesterday with our electric mower and had a go at our front hedge at present i cannot do it myself (y)

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We're just packing the caravan for a week in Cornwall from tomorrow, we're packing to accommodate every season's weather!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well the Worcester chap has sent his weather to Wiltshire. It’s probably the worst day since we arranged an oldies BBQ for friends some weeks ago. Plan B now in action.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well the Worcester chap has sent his weather to Wiltshire. It’s probably the worst day since we arranged an oldies BBQ for friends some weeks ago. Plan B now in action.
It has been raining here since early morning so staying indoors today. Strangely for the first time in history they have had snow in the Kruger National Park in South Africa. KNP is in a very hot area of SA at all times of the year although it can get as cool as 10C at night in the winter.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Apart from wind we are supposed to be getting tomorrow a dry day with showers potentially heavy with a risk of prolonged rain possibly thundery. Only snow seems to be off the offering.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve picked the wrong week for dog minding. Muddy wet paws!
Our new mutt has now turned two end corners of the lawn to mud baths in its incessant quest to catch or clear the airspace of avians, or even butterflies and bees. Turtle mats and old copies of the DT now cover the kitchen floor. Never mind by 2030 she might have calmed down a tad.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our new mutt has now turned two end corners of the lawn to mud baths in its incessant quest to catch or clear the airspace of avians, or even butterflies and bees. Turtle mats and old copies of the DT now cover the kitchen floor. Never mind by 2030 she might have calmed down a tad.
You’re brave! No more puppies for us😥, worth every second of torn up DT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts