Swift Customer services Unhelpful

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A couple of months ago we purchased a used swift challenger 560 from a swift dealer, we are very pleased with the van but there is 1 thing that bothers us, the pleated blinds, As some of you are aware the pleated blinds do have problems with pin holes in the folds of the meterial.
After searching the internet i found that this is infact a big problem as others have found that eventially the pin holes turn into a rip rendering the blind useless, So i spoke to the dealer who sold me the van as the van is under warrentee but suprise suprise they wont replace them but there workshops told me to contact Swift as another customer had the same problem and swift replaced them free of charge,I did more searching the internet and indeed this is the case.
I would like to point out that the blinds i have are the type that pull up from the bottom and i have tried to find them online with no luck whatsoever.
So armed with my Chassis number i rang Swift customer services, after being held in a que for nearly 20 minutes i finally got through, The kind lady asked for my Chassis number and postcode and asked how she could help, I proceeded to tell her of the problem with the blinds and she replied that there are no problems with the pleated blinds on the challenger models of that year so i asked if she could double check so she put me on hold for a further 2 minutes when she returned she said that the only problem with the blinds was that they need re-tensioning, I then told her that you cannot re-tension the pleated blinds as they dont work on a spring, she then said she would speak to the Upholstry department so again another 2 mins only to be told the upholstry department dont deal with blinds so she said she work speak to her manager 2 mins later she comes back to me again saying that there is not a problem with the pleated blinds, I said if you search the internet there have been lots of people with this problem but she just passed it off she said that her managaer tried to find the contact number for the manufacturer of the blinds but they cannot find the number,I said thats great what am i supposed to replace them with when they rip her reply (no response)
All in all a very bad experience with Swift and i have to say that if thats the way they handle there customers i will be buying a Bailey next time.
I didnt expect them to replace them FOC but i thought they would be able to give me a number or website address for replacements.
Iknow i am a used caravan owner but my next van purchase may be a brand new purchase and i dont think i will be giving my hard earned money to Swift.

Anyone had similar problems??

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Dustydog said:
John

Try posting your problem on Swift Talk

I have
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
"Trouble is someone has just joined the conversation with a motorhome who has blind problems".

Sorry...Didn't want to be any trouble.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See this
http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum/topics/pleated-blind-problem-and-swift-unhelpful#

Very disappointing reply from Swift and not their usual helpfulness.

It looks like they never read John's post at all.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
even now i know what the blinds are i am still no better off, very dissapointed with them i may as well retrofit roller blinds when they do rip thats if i can find the right size roller blinds
smiley-cry.gif

at least Bailey have a parts website, Swift offer no such service very sad

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
johnandrew70 said:
A couple of months ago we purchased a used swift challenger 560 from a swift dealer, we are very pleased with the van but there is 1 thing that bothers us, the pleated blinds, As some of you are aware the pleated blinds do have problems with pin holes in the folds of the meterial.
After searching the internet i found that this is infact a big problem as others have found that eventially the pin holes turn into a rip rendering the blind useless, So i spoke to the dealer who sold me the van as the van is under warrentee but suprise suprise they wont replace them but there workshops told me to contact Swift as another customer had the same problem and swift replaced them free of charge,I did more searching the internet and indeed this is the case.
I would like to point out that the blinds i have are the type that pull up from the bottom and i have tried to find them online with no luck whatsoever.
So armed with my Chassis number i rang Swift customer services, after being held in a que for nearly 20 minutes i finally got through, The kind lady asked for my Chassis number and postcode and asked how she could help, I proceeded to tell her of the problem with the blinds and she replied that there are no problems with the pleated blinds on the challenger models of that year so i asked if she could double check so she put me on hold for a further 2 minutes when she returned she said that the only problem with the blinds was that they need re-tensioning, I then told her that you cannot re-tension the pleated blinds as they dont work on a spring, she then said she would speak to the Upholstry department so again another 2 mins only to be told the upholstry department dont deal with blinds so she said she work speak to her manager 2 mins later she comes back to me again saying that there is not a problem with the pleated blinds, I said if you search the internet there have been lots of people with this problem but she just passed it off she said that her managaer tried to find the contact number for the manufacturer of the blinds but they cannot find the number,I said thats great what am i supposed to replace them with when they rip her reply (no response)
All in all a very bad experience with Swift and i have to say that if thats the way they handle there customers i will be buying a Bailey next time.
I didnt expect them to replace them FOC but i thought they would be able to give me a number or website address for replacements.
Iknow i am a used caravan owner but my next van purchase may be a brand new purchase and i dont think i will be giving my hard earned money to Swift.

Anyone had similar problems??

Not sure why you are bothering with the manufacturer when you should be chasing the dealer for a resolution as you bought the caravan from the dealer and not Swift. Most manufacturers don 't seem to give two hoots abour customers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

I think we may be light on facts here.

You tell us you bought a second hand caravan from a dealer who said it was under guarantee, You don't tell how old the caravan is and which warranty the caravan is supposed to be covered by. The manufacturer warranty/guarantee only applies to the original purchaser unless the rights have been correctly transferred and signed for. In some cases the rights have limited scope to second and subsequent owners, and might exclude certain items such a soft furnishings, brakes, tyres etc that are considered to be items that can suffer high wear and tear. There is no substitute to reading the terms and conditions of such documents. Do not assume terms and conditions remain the same from year to year, or from dealer to dealer, manufacturer to manufacture They are a contract and as such could be tailored to each individual sale.

Now to the condition of the caravan you purchased;-
You don't tell us how the caravan was described. The retailer is obliged to be as accurate as possible with any information they provide about a product they sell (Trades descriptions new or second hand), but they are not obliged to offer any information up front, but what they do provide must be accurate. In other words, the adage of Buyer Beware is very important. If there is something you don't know or want to know you must ask before you purchase.

Even second hand goods offered by retailers must be fit for purpose (SoGA) But it is still the buyers responsibility to ensure the product is what they want as far as possible before the sale is agreed. This does not mean that a second hand product has to be as perfect as a band new product - reasonable adjustment has to be allowed considering the age and condition of the product.

Retailers are not allowed to deliberately cover up deficiencies or faults, but they don't have to point them out either. The buyer of a second hand caravan will usually inspect the caravan before they purchase, and that is the time that the prospective purchaser should identify easily exposed issues such as pin holed blinds and arrange with the seller either a repair or reduction in cost. you see its "Buyer Beware".

Consequently I don't believe the retailer is obliged to offer a repair in your circumstances.

As to the incident rate of pin holed blinds, one has to be very conscious of the fallibilities of the internet forums. It is human nature to only kick up a fuss when we perceive something has gone wrong, so forums are heavily biased towards negative reports. So it is easy to think a problem is statistically bigger than it really is, and of course on a personal basis it is. I'm not attempting defend Swifts interaction with you but business cannot realistically get as excited about non critical issues compared to say a safety or very high value issue.

It is also wrong to assume that just because one person has had something replaced FOC, that you are entitled to the same treatment, As I started this posting with the observation that we don't have all the facts, there may have been other unmentioned circumstances that meant Swift changed this other persons blinds but won't replace yours.

Whilst I believe the above sets out some of the possible scenarios, it doesn't preclude either the dealer form making a gesture of good will without prejudice.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello John,

I think we may be light on facts here.

You tell us you bought a second hand caravan from a dealer who said it was under guarantee, You don't tell how old the caravan is and which warranty the caravan is supposed to be covered by. The manufacturer warranty/guarantee only applies to the original purchaser unless the rights have been correctly transferred and signed for. In some cases the rights have limited scope to second and subsequent owners, and might exclude certain items such a soft furnishings, brakes, tyres etc that are considered to be items that can suffer high wear and tear. There is no substitute to reading the terms and conditions of such documents. Do not assume terms and conditions remain the same from year to year, or from dealer to dealer, manufacturer to manufacture They are a contract and as such could be tailored to each individual sale.

Now to the condition of the caravan you purchased;-
You don't tell us how the caravan was described. The retailer is obliged to be as accurate as possible with any information they provide about a product they sell (Trades descriptions new or second hand), but they are not obliged to offer any information up front, but what they do provide must be accurate. In other words, the adage of Buyer Beware is very important. If there is something you don't know or want to know you must ask before you purchase.

Even second hand goods offered by retailers must be fit for purpose (SoGA) But it is still the buyers responsibility to ensure the product is what they want as far as possible before the sale is agreed. This does not mean that a second hand product has to be as perfect as a band new product - reasonable adjustment has to be allowed considering the age and condition of the product.

Retailers are not allowed to deliberately cover up deficiencies or faults, but they don't have to point them out either. The buyer of a second hand caravan will usually inspect the caravan before they purchase, and that is the time that the prospective purchaser should identify easily exposed issues such as pin holed blinds and arrange with the seller either a repair or reduction in cost. you see its "Buyer Beware".

Consequently I don't believe the retailer is obliged to offer a repair in your circumstances.

As to the incident rate of pin holed blinds, one has to be very conscious of the fallibilities of the internet forums. It is human nature to only kick up a fuss when we perceive something has gone wrong, so forums are heavily biased towards negative reports. So it is easy to think a problem is statistically bigger than it really is, and of course on a personal basis it is. I'm not attempting defend Swifts interaction with you but business cannot realistically get as excited about non critical issues compared to say a safety or very high value issue.

It is also wrong to assume that just because one person has had something replaced FOC, that you are entitled to the same treatment, As I started this posting with the observation that we don't have all the facts, there may have been other unmentioned circumstances that meant Swift changed this other persons blinds but won't replace yours.

Whilst I believe the above sets out some of the possible scenarios, it doesn't preclude either the dealer form making a gesture of good will without prejudice.

Hi Prof
I take on board what you are saying, When we looked at the van at the dealers we tried all the blinds etc everything was fine, but its not until your eyes have adjusted to the change in conditions that you see the pin holes also when waking up in the morning you see them.
My dealer is brilliant and i will see if they will at least replace the bedroom blinds under good will or pay so much towards it.
I did not think for 1 minute Swift would replace them free of charge but you dont know until you ask, also my biggest gripe with Swift was the fact that they were very unhelpful, not being able to find a telephone number for the blind manufacturer is rubbish also not being able to point me in direction of someone who could help or offer to sell me the blinds direct from swift its all a bit amatuer ish to my mind yet this is a caravan manufacturer that has been around for donkeys years.
A bit more help over the Phone to a Swift caravan owner wheather its a used van or new would have been a bit more appreciative.

John

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Seems to be the way,and i dont think Bailey are much better from what i read.You can be sure of two things though.The first is,it was probably £1500 pounds more than private.Secound is they probably bought it for £1500 less than private.But hold on isnt this why we buy from a dealer in the first place for the extra back up.
As John rightfully says the internet forums are full of negative comments,but when i put my van on my car and set of and the wheels go round or the kitchen taps let water out when i turn them on,why would someone praise this when after all thats what their ment to do and what we pay for.Its what we expect and not out of the ordinary.
The English mindset has along way to go,surely someone at the top would look at the UK car industry and commercial industry and take 5 minutes to work it out.Quite simple,buy a foreign van.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I would like to point out that the Seitz blinds are probably the worst on the market. We have already had 4 replaced due to them "falling apart" all within months of buying the caravan. Somehow I doubt whether they will last the 6 years of SOGA, but it is then proving an inherent fault will be the problem.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There are three types of Seitz blinds - the Combination, the Mini-double and Rastrollo.
We had the Mini-double in our 2001 Bailey and they gave no problem in almost 1000 nights away.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
seth said:
Seems to be the way,and i dont think Bailey are much better from what i read.You can be sure of two things though.The first is,it was probably £1500 pounds more than private.Secound is they probably bought it for £1500 less than private.But hold on isnt this why we buy from a dealer in the first place for the extra back up.
As John rightfully says the internet forums are full of negative comments,but when i put my van on my car and set of and the wheels go round or the kitchen taps let water out when i turn them on,why would someone praise this when after all thats what their ment to do and what we pay for.Its what we expect and not out of the ordinary.
The English mindset has along way to go,surely someone at the top would look at the UK car industry and commercial industry and take 5 minutes to work it out.Quite simple,buy a foreign van.

If I bought a non UK caravan would Dometic Seitz blinds be fitted?

It seems to me companies like Seitz, Truma etc have the whole European Market wrapped up.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I would expect them to be fitted.But completely missing the point,almost everything is going to have a problem during its life span. Agreed but its a matter of how its dealt with.Read the reports for yourself,if there is ever going to be a van with a problem 9 times out of 10 its a UK van,either Bailey or swift.Yes they are popular(dont no why).The back up seems to be poor,and that is just reading stories on here.(damp,etc)
This case though accepted is more to do with the supplying dealer,you pay top money for the van from the dealer now you want top service to go with it.It doesnt work both ways,it cant do.How can you sleep in a caravan and get woke up at 5am by day light,how can that be right?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
seth said:
I would expect them to be fitted.But completely missing the point,almost everything is going to have a problem during its life span. Agreed but its a matter of how its dealt with.Read the reports for yourself,if there is ever going to be a van with a problem 9 times out of 10 its a UK van,either Bailey or swift.Yes they are popular(dont no why).The back up seems to be poor,and that is just reading stories on here.(damp,etc)
This case though accepted is more to do with the supplying dealer,you pay top money for the van from the dealer now you want top service to go with it.It doesnt work both ways,it cant do.How can you sleep in a caravan and get woke up at 5am by day light,how can that be right?

Seth
I was going to be cocky and say draw the curtains.

Then I remembered Lunar have had to replace a number of curtains because they didn't close!

I suspect the reason most members on here have a British built caravan is cost. The European ones are still very expensive in comparison.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I would love to buy British,i really would.But i just dont have the patience for problems that seem to go with them.My van an Adria bought new in 2009,nothing special,not posh just basic really,ideal for us with the children being at a young age.Far from expensive,the construction method primative compared with Bailey and Eldis offering but they dont go wrong.I can only put it down to shoddy workman ship.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Reading the posts on here I am very surprised with SWifts My van is a 2010 Sterling Elite Searcher and The small problems Ive had have bee sorted out over the phone direct to Swifts and always found them very helpful. Its very starnge how some van owners have problems and are sorted very quickly over the phone to Swifts or even a posting on there own Forum.It would seem that most of the UK manufactures are using cheap fittings.. I have to be honest I have had two things go wrong in the 3 years we have had this van and its been suppliers parts again that have failed ie Truma and Thetford the Thetford issue sorted easily the Truma a little more of a problem .

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Reading the posts on here I am very surprised with SWifts My van is a 2010 Sterling Elite Searcher and The small problems Ive had have bee sorted out over the phone direct to Swifts and always found them very helpful. Its very starnge how some van owners have problems and are sorted very quickly over the phone to Swifts or even a posting on there own Forum.It would seem that most of the UK manufactures are using cheap fittings.. I have to be honest I have had two things go wrong in the 3 years we have had this van and its been suppliers parts again that have failed ie Truma and Thetford the Thetford issue sorted easily the Truma a little more of a problem .

Did you buy your van new??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts