Swift warranty claims

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am after some advice and feedback. I am very disappointed with Swift Caravans. I have a van that has a couple of faults, the van is 2 1/2 years old.
1- microwave stopped working again(2nd microwave) it's only been used about 5 times, my better half was cooking a potatoe in it, noticed it had gone off, went to open the door and burnt her hand. I suspect it has overheated, on checking there is very little ventilation for it.i notice on later van's they have now put extra vents??
2- small cracks in shower tray, not sure if they have gone through?
They have rejected the claim without even seeing the van, they say it could be down to cleaning products for the tray. I think it's more like products not fit for purpose.

has anybody had any similar faults and received a positive outcome?

thanks a Darren.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Apalling service. I would write to the dealer, your contract is with him, and ask for a written explanation as to how they can say what the cause is without examining it and say unless you recieve a satisfactory reply within fourteen days you will be taking them to the small claims court.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dazza55 said:
Hi everyone, I am after some advice and feedback. I am very disappointed with Swift Caravans. I have a van that has a couple of faults, the van is 2 1/2 years old.
1- microwave stopped working again(2nd microwave) it's only been used about 5 times, my better half was cooking a potatoe in it, noticed it had gone off, went to open the door and burnt her hand. I suspect it has overheated, on checking there is very little ventilation for it.i notice on later van's they have now put extra vents??
2- small cracks in shower tray, not sure if they have gone through?
They have rejected the claim without even seeing the van, they say it could be down to cleaning products for the tray. I think it's more like products not fit for purpose.
has anybody had any similar faults and received a positive outcome?
thanks a Darren.

Contact dealer and advised them of Sale of Goods Act which covers you for SIX years. Briefly it is as follows;

Key Facts:

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This
means they must be as described, fit
for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time
of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that
a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price
and any description. Aspects of
quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and
finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods
do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can
request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not
defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland)
purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a
repair or replacement).

6 A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a
business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

7 If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer
can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a
full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

8 In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform
to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted
until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

9 If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first
six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did
conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

10 After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer
to prove the lack of conformity.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi too me you have two seperate issues.
the microwave is only guaranteed for the first year, Ive had two go aswell, unfortunatly both out of warranty. so if the replacement is over one year old, there is nothing you can do but bite the bullet and replace, however i would go to the suppermarkets or electrical shops and source one yourself, caravan dealers charge a fortune.

Re the shower tray, if you go onto swift talk, swifts own furum, i have seen posts about this type of cracking. A lot of times it was the cleaning products at fault but ive also seen issues of screws pressing against the pvc wall or base from the other side which have caused stress cracks.

Keep on at the dealer & hope you get a resolution
Cheers
John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
starlight dj said:
....the microwave is only guaranteed for the first year..........
That guarantee is only the manufacturers guarantee which does not superceed or overide your stautory rights.

As Surfer has pointed out you have the Sale of Goods Act, which essentially covers your stautory rights when you make any retail purchase. Your microwave(s) should not have failed as soon as they have unless thay have been missused in some way.

Because the products are more than 6 months old, provided you can show that on the balance of probability the device has not been missused then the retailer is legally responsible to remedy the situation.
If only more people would understand an use their statutory rights.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
starlight dj said:
Hi too me you have two seperate issues.
the microwave is only guaranteed for the first year, Ive had two go aswell, unfortunatly both out of warranty. so if the replacement is over one year old, there is nothing you can do but bite the bullet and replace, however i would go to the suppermarkets or electrical shops and source one yourself, caravan dealers charge a fortune.
Re the shower tray, if you go onto swift talk, swifts own furum, i have seen posts about this type of cracking. A lot of times it was the cleaning products at fault but ive also seen issues of screws pressing against the pvc wall or base from the other side which have caused stress cracks.
Keep on at the dealer & hope you get a resolution
Cheers
John

The microwave is an integral part of the caravan and should not be classed as a seperate entity as you never bought the m/w seperate to the caravan.
That is like saying the a/c on your vehicle is only covered for 1 year and that it is only the car that is covered for 6 years. Besides our SOGA there is a EU directive that states all electrical goods sold in the EU have a full 2 year warranty and this can be used also. We used both and won.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Dazza / Darren My van a Sterling Elite Searcher its a 2010 model I have had issues with it but all have been resolved easily most through my dealer. On our first outing this year we did have a problem with our microwave, ours being a Sanyo and yes it did get very hot there are two issues here ,one it has I believe knocked out a Thermal over load, what we did was remove the power from the microwave which was a bit of a bu34er but next it will be easy this was advised in the handbook and 10 mins later microwave is back up and running. I dont think they like running at full power for too long. Thankfully I havnt had or got any more of your problems so good luck dont ditch the microwave until you have tried this.
Sir Roger

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most kitchen microwaves have better ventilation than those in caravans, but thermal cut out could be the problem here. Are your ventilation arrangements all clear, or are any vents restricted with other items/clutter?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Dazza 55 Another tip here .Not knowing what caravan you have I will guess the vent for your microwave when van door is open the vent is behind it ??????.Dont use the microwave with the van door open.
Sir Roger

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, regarding the microwave, there are no external vents which is why I suspect it's overheated. There is a vent above the microwave internally but to me this is not sufficient. I notice on newer vans and different manufacturers they do have external vents.
Still on the case, thanks for the info.

regards Darren.

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, regarding the microwave, there are no external vents which is why I suspect it's overheated. There is a vent above the microwave internally but to me this is not sufficient. I notice on newer vans and different manufacturers they do have external vents.
Still on the case, thanks for the info.

regards Darren.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure having microwave external vents solves the problem.Our microwave at home is built into kitchen furniture at eye level and doesn't have an external vent.Also I've never seen an external vent for a microwave on a caravan (not that I've looked - I'll start looking now !)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts