swiss road tax

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I believe I have to have road tax for my car and a seperate tax for my caravan in switzerland.I am using via michelin route finder and it calculates a price of _54 for the year is this for the car or total outfit? i have tried at various websites to get a price but it only comes up with a car option.

The van is single axle if that is any help?

Ian

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
You need a vignette for both car and caravan. They are valid for a calendar year (Jan to Dec). Full details can be found at My Switzerland web site.Same price for both.

Steve

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Percy,

Last year I drove the car and Caravan down to Annecy while my wife flew to Geneva with our 2 children. I went to collect them from the airport and was stopped at the border and charged 30 euros for the Vineutte just to travel a total of 4 miles on the motorway! The 30 euros covers you for 12 months unlimited use, but had I known I would have taken the non Motorway route!

You can by them very easily at the borders, there are people with bus conductor style machines around there necks - it took no more than 30 seconds and they were only checking a few at random. A friend of mine has travelled through Switzerland 4 times over the past 2 years and has never been charged or stopped.

I believe the vineutte only applies to Motorway use.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Percy,

My company has business clients in Switzerland (in Basel and Cressier) and since I usually drive...

1. The Swiss vignette is only required for the motorway network.

2. But since many crossing points into Switzerland are on motorways - then if you go that way, you don't have a choice.

3. Non-motorway routes in Switzerland can be a right pain - slow, narrow sections in towns, and full of traffic.

4. The vignette for a car is 40 Swiss Francs (exchange rate around 1 CHF = 0.6 Euro) - so _ 54 sounds about right for car + caravan.

Robert

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
I went to Switzerland last year. You do have to have a vignette for both the car and the caravan to drive on any motorway. I entered via Geneva and there was an official checking each vehicle. You can pay at a booth but it is not very practical with a caravan. Purchased mine from Swiss Travel Service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts