Switzerland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I know this is a bit premature we have not been on our 2005 hols yet! but it is our 25th wedding anniversay next June and we would like to have a really special holiday going through Germany and then touring Switzerland. Can some one give any advice as to really good campsites in the Rhine valley in Germany and different areas of Switzerland ,probably Geneve, Interlarken and Lutzern. We want to go for at least 3 weeks so any suggestions would be welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We live only a couple of miles away from the Rhine so I'd be only too happy to help you find something you'd like in the area. Just let me know what sort of campsite you'd prefer (conveniently close to tourist attractions with all the facilities or something quiet and a little off the beaten track?).

Alternatively, you could even drop your caravan off behind our garden and we'd give you a free electrical hook-up if you want.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We live only a couple of miles away from the Rhine so I'd be only too happy to help you find something you'd like in the area. Just let me know what sort of campsite you'd prefer (conveniently close to tourist attractions with all the facilities or something quiet and a little off the beaten track?).

Alternatively, you could even drop your caravan off behind our garden and we'd give you a free electrical hook-up if you want.
Well Lutz you have just restored my faith in human nature! thank you so much for your offer actually we would probably like to be on a site in the Koblenz area, not too commercial, nice and quiet but perhaps with a swimming pool although that is not essential. We are coming with our best friends so there will be 4 of us. Thanks very much

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The prettiest part of the Rhine, as you probably already know, is between Koblenz and Bingen. The problem, however, is that the Rhine Valley is narrow there, leaving little space between the main road, railway lines and river for any decent campsite. Your best bet is to stay either at the site in Koblenz-G

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Caroline

Several years ago we went with Eurocamp to their site at Lauterbrunnen. Site is very beautiful situated under the mountains and the trip up the Youngfrau fabulous but do pick a clear day as it can be cloudy at the top. Some nice walks in the area and the train service as reputed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your comments chaps! I think we are going to have a couple of nights at Rudesheim in the Rhine Valley, we are also looking at Vitzneu near Lucerne and Lauterbrunan near Interlarken so lots to think about! We are going on this years jaunt to Loire/Lot valley and Annecy on 3rd July for 3 weeks so we can start planning the Germany/ Switzerland trip when we get back. Got a big party to organise too only get a Silver wedding once in a lifetime you know!!

Thanks again.

Caroline

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your comments chaps! I think we are going to have a couple of nights at Rudesheim in the Rhine Valley, we are also looking at Vitzneu near Lucerne and Lauterbrunan near Interlarken so lots to think about! We are going on this years jaunt to Loire/Lot valley and Annecy on 3rd July for 3 weeks so we can start planning the Germany/ Switzerland trip when we get back. Got a big party to organise too only get a Silver wedding once in a lifetime you know!!

Thanks again.

Caroline
Forgot to correct spelling - should be Jungfrau! Wish I was coming with you!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caroline - we can thoroughly recommend Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen, we had our 30th anniversary there this easter - great scenery, lovely people, superb food. Have a look on their website - www.jungfrau.com - they speak very good English if you don't speak German

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Caroline

A few years back we stayed at Camping Seegartll in Brienz, a few miles from Interlaken. We found all the Interlaken sites rather full/crowded. Camping Seegartll is a small site right on the lakeside and you can have a site right by the waterside. It does not have many facillities but had toilets, cdp, etc. There is, also, a slightly larger site Camping It is within walking distance of the village of Brienz which is famous for wood carving. There is, also, a rail station and boat terminal in the village. The Swiss railways are superb and we bought rail passes which gave us free travel on all the rail line and cable cars in the Interlaken area. We used the passes extensively and went on many trips including the Jungfrau Joch summit and the revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn Bloufield's base in the James Bond film, "On Her Majesty's Service". We often walked between various stations and cable cars enjoying the stupendous mountain scenery. It meant that we hardly used our car at all. We, also, cycled to Meringen and saw the Reisenbach Falls where Sherlock Holmes was "killed" (?)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woops, I posted my reply before I'd finished. I was going to mention that there is another lakeside campsite in Brienz - Campiing Aaregg, It is very close to Camping Seegartli, in fact a little further down the same road. It is the larger of the 2 but we returned to Seegartli after looking at both as we preferred the simpler format of Seegartli. The owner was a friendly little guy - he even came out onto the road to hold up the traffic when we were leaving.

Camping Seegartli - Phone 033 9511351

Camping Aaregg Phone 033 9514324

Last Year we travelled right down the Rhine Valley from the Netherlands to Austria. We stopped at a number of campsites enroute.

Camping Goldene Meile at Remagen. On the bank of the river but behind a large fence. Rather a lot of seasonals but we had quite a pleasant pitch overlooking the fishing lake.

Knaus Camping-Park Frickenhausen. Another Rhine side site only with easier access to the river.

We enjoyed visiting the historic town of Rothenburg Ob Tauber which is on the Romantic Road.

We then travelled into Bavaria and stayed at Cmpping Wagnerhof in Traunstein from where we visited Bechesgarten and Hitler' "Eagle's Nest"

Sorry to go on - it brings back happy memories of long summer days as I write this with a thunderstorm outside!!

Must confess we liked Switzerland more than the Rhine Valley - the people seemed much more friendly, but perhaps we didn't stop at the right places!!

Have fun

Regard

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts