Tap problems

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi

We've got 2 sets of nova comet mixer taps in our caravan with a couple of problems.

The ones in the kitchen , this is an ongoing problem , after a few days usage they start dripping which gets worse the longer I leave them.When I change the seals/"O"rings the go back to working ok for a few days again but the seals that I took out look like they've been cut through.This year the hot tap has been worst but they both do it.

The ones in the bathroom when we use them the taps in the kitchen run at the same time regardless of whether they're turned off.

I know these are 2 different problems but I'm hoping someone has had the same problem and found a cure as it gets through the water quite quick , anyone ?

thanks , Adam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you have one problem, and that is the kitchen taps leak.

They certainly should not "run" when other taps are opened they should seal when closed.This also explains the dripping.

I suspect you are either not reassembling the taps correctly when you have changed the o rings or teh taps need changing.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I expect you have a miscroswitch tap system. So I think you will find that the kitchen tap closes sufficiently to click off the microswitch so stops the pump running, but still leaks from the tap as you have described. So when you switch on the washroom tap the pump is switched on and then runs from the washroom and via the leak in the kitchen taps.
Your best option might be a tap replacement - about £25.00 on Ebay - but a rather fiddly job to refit - you have to access the plastic nuts on the base of the H and C taps as well as connecting the micxroswitch wiring - which may entail removing the sink to gain access. There are talk-through videos on YouTube.
Good luck!

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi

The problem is this an ongoing problem. It's been happening since we've had the caravan. I fitted new taps earlier this year to try and stop the problem , but as I said the stop leaking for a couple of days then start again getting worse until I change the seals. Once they're changed they last for another couple of days until they start leaking again.
Not sure if the taps running when the bathroom taps are turned on is connected or not.

Adam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Adam,

I have to assume the problem you have is with your 1992 Abl Ace Globetrotter.

If you have leaking taps it means the tap is unable to contain the pressure of the water in the pipe work. Caravan systems should not exceed 1.5Bar on the cold supply side. I know that caravan taps are not as well made as domestic taps, but they do generally work. To repeatedly have leaks after repairs and replacements strongly suggests your water pressure may be greater than 1.5Bar. This suggests a problem with the pump control.

My guess is that you have a pressure switched pump control, rather than switched taps These switches are adjustable, and you should seek the control switch manufacturers instructions on how to adjust the switch.

I don't think you have switched taps, becasue you would have almost certainly burnt out your pump if a micro-switch had gone faulty.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
OK just in case you are not sure what water system you have - pressure or microswitch, have a look under the taps - if the wires from the taps are connected = microswitch; if there are no wires or they are not connected = pressure system.

Ads

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi ,
The micro switches are in the taps under the top cover/handle - see pic - these are like the ones in our kitchen area

Comet_dual_Tap-300x270.jpgs-l1600.jpg

The seal that keeps leaking is the diagonal one on the spindle , it starts to split then breaks all together. The pump is the one that came with the caravan that plugs in outside by filter.

Not sure what to do anymore as while we were away for the 4 wks. in august I changed the seals at least 3 times that I can remember. Anyone ?

Thanks , Adam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts