Tebay services caravan park

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone stayed on the caravan park at Tebay northbound services on the M6?
Before the pandemic I booked a stay at Castlerigg Hall touring park near Keswick in the Lake District.
The booking was from 2nd June 2020, but because of Covid our stay had to be postponed.
In 2021 there was a mix up with our postponed booking, no problem however, we simply put it off until this year.
This is where our problem began.
I hadn't realised that June 2nd is part of HM the Queens Platignum Jubilee bank holiday, a day that we'd be unlikely to enjoy much after a long tow up the M6.
There's no chance of a slightly earlier booking at Castlerigg, they and all the sites in the area are fully booked.
I've discovered that there's a small caravan park just off the M6 at Tebay services.
£24 a night on a hard standing gravel pitch with ehu, so I've booked for an overnight rest stop on 1st June
We should arrive just after lunchtime at Castlerigg, fresh and relaxed and ready to enjoy the bank holiday

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We stopped one night on a trip to Scotland in 2017. A nicely kept stopover. Normally we would have had an evening meal in a local pub, but instead went into the services. Really nice food at a reasonable price too. The same ownership run the “ new” services on the M5 near to Gloucester and have had very good reviews. Don’t know if that one has a stopover too.

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought Tebay Services had closed their caravan site - it was considered a good overnight stop for those travelling between Southern England and the Highlands.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We stayed there years ago and were pleasantly surprised that it’s peaceful set back from the carriageway. The 24 includes a 3 meal voucher in the services which as noted along with Gloucester are among extremely few privately owned services and of very high quality. The website is active and apparently must be pre booked online as cannot be paid for in the services. Gives directions on the website too as the cp is on the northbound.

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We stayed there for six nights last summer. We took pitch two or three, we were able to use it as a fully serviced pitch as it had a tap and drain right next to it, which was lucky for us as we don't carry water containers. We knew how it was as we'd overnighted there on the way from Devon a few weeks earlier. There are plenty of free taps elsewhere for others, plus ehu and drains though not at every single pitch. The ehu posts seemed to be in groups of four or six, but a 25 m cable would be fine to reach any of the "outer" pitches.

We didn't pre-book, just turned up and paid at the petrol station, alhough I read above that that has stopped and it is online booking only now.
As PP said you get a £3 meal voucher for each night - I think we paid £22 including the voucher per night. We saved them for a meal on the last night.

I had a look at the showers when I occasionally used the site toilets; they were very clean, at least the ladies were.

The site can get a fair few midges in the evening as it's low lying and surrounded by trees. It's not too bad, though. There's a field above the site that you can climb up to which has lovely views.

As I recall the entire site is tarmac, it's very leafy with all the trees and a wee stream though. We noseyed around behind the "official" site and found several old pitches for statics, plus the Farmhouse Kitchen Roadshow bus!

In all its a nice, quiet site, a good base for exploring that part of Cumbria. It's a shame that you can't spontaneously turn up and pay on the night an y more, I don't know why; maybe it's getting busy?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It did close down a few years ago. Now post Covid it is running again as an independent. Fine for an overnight but not for a weeks holiday . The next door Hotel was very good, don’t confuse with the services. Check out Hoddams Castle caravan site . Excellent facilities good and Bar . An excellent stop over from or to Scotland

Reactions: RogerL and Parksy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We stayed there for one night each on the way to Speyside and on the way to back years and years ago. It did close. Didn’t know it had reopened. It was largely flat and gravel. Close to the services for a meal. Surprisingly undisturbed by road noise from the motorway although you could of course hear it. Great for an overnight stop, but wouldn’t holiday there, although there did seem to be seasonal caravans there; wondered if they were largely workers needing an easy commute.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with Dustydog. The site is OK as an overnight stop but I would not want to use it on a long term basis. The road noise is remarkably quite for the location but you are also next to the London Glasgow main line and you can hear that.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The site is obviously open now, booking is online only and the site is ideal for an overnight rest stop before we go to our holiday site at Castlerigg Hall the next day.
We tried to book for a night earlier at Castlerigg but there's nothing available for the Whitsun week in the area apart from Tebay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts