TEC Caravans

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
TEC caravans are good value for money and get quite good reviews here on the Continent but they do feature more at the lower end of the market. If you let me know which model you're looking at, maybe I can dig out a test report.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we picked up our TEC Travelking 540GK on saturday and took it straight out for 5 nights "practice"! We are really pleased with it. The layout is great for us with 2 young children having fixed bunks and fixed double beds. It seems to be a lot better built than some of the other makes that we looked at. We have only had it 5 days, so obviously time will tell, but at present we cannot fault it at all.

Re the comment about the mattresses, I think they are foam but we slept better than we do at home! I think if you go for the weltbummler range, they come with a superior mattress which I think you can have as an option on the Travelking, but not the Tour (base range).

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
WE HAVE HAD 2 TE CARAVANS OVER THE YEARS - CURRENTLY A 2003 470TE. THEY ARE EXCELLENT ALL ROUND - ESPECIALLY BUILD QUALITY WHICH IS STREETS AHEAD OF MOST UK VANS.

DUE TO THE MASSIVE MARKUP (USUAL UK RIP OFF !) IF YOU BUY IN UK WE STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU BUY IN GERMANY OR HOLLAND WHERE THE PRICES (IN EOROS,INCL VAT) WILL BE AT LEAST

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
We are caravan virgins who are thinking of getting a tourer and have been around the local dealers, one of which sells Tec vans. These appear to be be sturdier than the run of the mill UK equivalents, with more innovative layouts (especially for families), but do not particularly have excessive weight or price tags. Where then is the catch ?

Is it a problem having the door on the "wrong side", is servicing/repairs difficult/more expensive due to the lack of UK dealers, is insurance more expensive, will it be harder to part exchange when we want to change the van, is there a snob valve when pitching up next to Mr & Mrs Swift or Bailey?

Your thoughts would be much apreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon

There is certainly no snob value as far as I am concerned, as a Bailey Provence owner. Have looked at german vans in the past, but personally found them rather cold, mind you up until a couple of years ago Chintz (aaarrgghh!)was still dominating British vans, but I would need a Disco equivelant to pull most of them.

It all comes down to personal choice, and the build quality and weight of my van is more than sufficient for my needs, comes with a 3 year warranty, fully bonded roof (just like the german vans) and a 6 year water ingress warranty.

Don't dismiss British vans out of hand, as the germans are now starting to copy layouts, fabrics etc.

There is also the locality and quality of dealers to consider, all very well getting a good price, but if you then have to travel 100 miles for servicing or warranty work, not quite so good value.

I'm lucky that my dealer wins awards from the caravan industry re customer care, some other people are not so fortunate.

Just the ramblings of a 36 year old on his 5th van.

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
Derk,

Our TEC dealer is Thrun who are in Kolner Strasse in Mulheim an der Ruhr in Germany - not far from the Dutch border. Their address is post code 45481 Mulheim, Kolner Strasse 232 - 234 so look it up on the via Michelin map website.

Phone number 00 49 208 48 50 81.

On Kolner Strasse there are at least 30 dealer's sites offering a very wide range of caravans and camper vans and special offers and discount deals are the name of the game as there is so much competition. We have had excellent service from Thrun and recommend them.

John

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
We are caravan virgins who are thinking of getting a tourer and have been around the local dealers, one of which sells Tec vans. These appear to be be sturdier than the run of the mill UK equivalents, with more innovative layouts (especially for families), but do not particularly have excessive weight or price tags. Where then is the catch ?

Is it a problem having the door on the "wrong side", is servicing/repairs difficult/more expensive due to the lack of UK dealers, is insurance more expensive, will it be harder to part exchange when we want to change the van, is there a snob valve when pitching up next to Mr & Mrs Swift or Bailey?

Your thoughts would be much apreciated.
If you really want to know how unreliable and badly constructed many British caravans are I suggest you read the Caravan Club's annual survey of members opinions and experience of their caravans which highlights the shoddy quality of many British made 'vans - including many well known manufacturers.

In particular, it details the high level of faults/problems on delivery - after 'dealers checks' - which indicates either a lack of quality control or, in some cases, just bad design.(German made caravans came out top in this survey just as Volkswagen, BMW, Audi and Mercedes have gained their reputations for build quality and reliabilty).

This survey also shows that, in spite of brilliant design and innovation, British caravan makers seem to be going the way of our car industry with careless build quality. They get away with it due to the fact that Brits never complain - loudly !

The caravan magazines won't draw attention to it for fear of losing advertising from the manufacturers so anyone new to caravanning might be persuaded to buy British from their glowing reports on British caravans as build quality evaluation rarely features.

Door on the 'wrong side',.....what difference does it make ?.. unless you are camping on a road !!

John

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
Derk,

Our TEC dealer is Thrun who are in Kolner Strasse in Mulheim an der Ruhr in Germany - not far from the Dutch border. Their address is post code 45481 Mulheim, Kolner Strasse 232 - 234 so look it up on the via Michelin map website.

Phone number 00 49 208 48 50 81.

On Kolner Strasse there are at least 30 dealer's sites offering a very wide range of caravans and camper vans and special offers and discount deals are the name of the game as there is so much competition. We have had excellent service from Thrun and recommend them.

John
I'm also new to caravanning, and TEC have also caught my eye.

I have considered buying abroad, but some articals from the web have advised to tread carefully especially with regards to electrics, non UK spec on batteries, and even being able to insure in the UK? Is there any truth to it all?

Thanks

May 4, 2005
Visit site
If you really want to know how unreliable and badly constructed many British caravans are I suggest you read the Caravan Club's annual survey of members opinions and experience of their caravans which highlights the shoddy quality of many British made 'vans - including many well known manufacturers.

In particular, it details the high level of faults/problems on delivery - after 'dealers checks' - which indicates either a lack of quality control or, in some cases, just bad design.(German made caravans came out top in this survey just as Volkswagen, BMW, Audi and Mercedes have gained their reputations for build quality and reliabilty).

This survey also shows that, in spite of brilliant design and innovation, British caravan makers seem to be going the way of our car industry with careless build quality. They get away with it due to the fact that Brits never complain - loudly !

The caravan magazines won't draw attention to it for fear of losing advertising from the manufacturers so anyone new to caravanning might be persuaded to buy British from their glowing reports on British caravans as build quality evaluation rarely features.

Door on the 'wrong side',.....what difference does it make ?.. unless you are camping on a road !!

John
John,just for your imformation,the latest Which magazine has an artical about car reliability.VW BMW Audi and Mercedes ALL achieved a POOR rating!...Brian.

Sep 14, 2005
Visit site
quality is superb ive had travelking 640 3 months still impressed and so our others easy to tow watch width limits of larger ones as to be within law you will need a max gross weight of 3'5 ton for towing vehicle even if caravan like mine only weighs 1500kg some people disregard this as it is only a few inches to wide and happily tow with large family size cars that maintain all other legal weights, size etc. i dont know of any owners who do this who have been stopped because of the width. compared to british caravans the prices are excellent the workmanship superb and everyone who has seen mine are amazed at the value and level of finish and design

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
We have started looking at caravans recently and have been impressed with the TEC vans we have looked especially the Tour range given their price and our budget. I would appreciate comments, advice etc from people who are not trying to sell me one. We have two young children, are not keen on fixed beds, and would like to use it for weekends away as well as summer holidays. Thank you

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
John,just for your imformation,the latest Which magazine has an artical about car reliability.VW BMW Audi and Mercedes ALL achieved a POOR rating!...Brian.
Hi Brian,

Yes ! I read the Which report and was surprised by the decline in German car quality standards. Hopefully this trend hasn't yet reached the German caravan manufacturers.

I still think that the Caravan Club's review is a very good guide to build quality but I'm waiting for Which to get round to testing caravans.....it should be even more revealing !

Best Regards

John

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
I'm also new to caravanning, and TEC have also caught my eye.

I have considered buying abroad, but some articals from the web have advised to tread carefully especially with regards to electrics, non UK spec on batteries, and even being able to insure in the UK? Is there any truth to it all?

Thanks
Ian,

So far as I know the TEC Travel King (mid range)available on the continent don't come with 12 volt batteries. The TEC fitted mains system has a 12 volt transformer so you can use 12 volt accessories when connected to mains.

I thought of fitting a battery and charger but as we generally use sites with mains supply I decided it wasn't worth the cost/effort.

TEC vans have a 13 pin car connector so, provided your car is fitted with a 13 point connector, the water pump, fridge, toilet flusher and some internal lights will work off the car OK.

If your car has a UK 12N connector you will need an adapter which will run the vans road lights but won't connect the services supply.

I read that the continental 13 pin cable isn't strong enough to take the drain from the fridge so I have wired my TEC 470TE van with a 12S cable which plugs into the car's UK standard 12 S supplementary socket so we have essential 12 volt supply on the move.

The continental version is fitted with German type mains sockets so I bought some German plugs for our mains driven kit - TV, hair dryer etc. I have also replaced one of the german sockets with a UK twin socket....a simple job.

So far as I know there is no problem with insurance in UK. We are with Saga who didn't seem fussy about it.

If you are near Winchester, Hants I would be pleased to show you our TEC van and explain the above in more detail.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts