Television tuning

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, when i have aligned the arial with my signal finder to get the best signal,and then tuned the television in. If the tele gets moved at all i lose the settings. Is this normal or a fault with the television.

Steve

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Hi, when i have aligned the arial with my signal finder to get the best signal,and then tuned the television in. If the tele gets moved at all i lose the settings. Is this normal or a fault with the television.

Steve

Not quite sure what you mean by 'moved?' Do you mean disconnected and moved within the caravan to a different position, or you move the caravan to a different site?

If the former, if you are using a different aerial socket is that socket being fed with a signal from the aerial? Some caravan manufacturers fit two or more sockets but only connect one of them to the aerial amp, the other port on the aerial amp often being used to feed the car radio. The cable(s) from the unused socket(s) will be presented next to the aerial amp and may need to be swapped over.

If there are two or more cables and the amp has enough outputs to feed them all then it suggests your TV is not remembering the stations it has found with an auto-tune. Some TVs do the channel scan and then ask if you want to save the stations it has found. If you don't take that option it may allow you to continue using them but when you remove the power it will forget them and revert to the last set of channels that it 'knew.'

The other possibility is that your TV has not been retuned. In the olden analogue days a TV transmitter used one frequency to carry one TV station; now with digital 'multiplexing' (known as a mux) each TV transmitter uses one frequency to carry one mux but that one mux may carry 6-8 TV stations and a handful of radio as well.

There are three types of TV transmitter sites known colloquially as Freeview Lite, full Freeview, and Extended Freeview. All stations use Freeview Lite which has three transmitters that are:-
PSB1 formerly known as BBCA which is all BBC TV and radio;
PSB2 formerly known as D3/4 which is the main ITV stations including Ch 4 and five;
PSB3 formerly known as BBCB which carries the primary HD stations.
PSB is Public Service Broadcasting: HD is High Definition which needs the TV to have a Freeview HD tuner.

Full Freeview stations are generally main station transmitters of which there are 80 odd, or former relay stations that have been upgraded to primary stations in their own right - such as Sheffield, Chesterfield, Scarborough and quite a lot of others. Main stations transmit PSB1-3 as the Lite stations plus:
Com4 also known as SDL which transmits some of the other major stations such as Sky News etc
Com5 also known as Arqiva A which transmits many of the smaller stations
Com6 also known as Arqiva B which is functionally the same as Com 5

The Extended Freeview stations which are a handful of but not all main stations also transmit:
Com7 which transmits the balance of the HD stations
Com8 which transmits some other stations in both standard and high definition.
Com7 and 8, like PSB3, require a Freeview HD tuner

For the record standard definition is also known as DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial) and DVB-T2 which is version 2 is used for HD transmissions. A DVB-T2 receiver will also decode DVB-T transmissions but not vice versa. It is likely that within a few years all terrestrial transmissions, SD or HD, will be using DVB-T2 as it is much more efficient in its use of spectrum and is also much more resilient under poor signal or interference conditions. It has been the law for nearly two years that all TV's sold in the UK of 32" or greater screen size be fitted with a Freeview HD tuner although not necessarily a screen capable of showing full HD (a.k.a. 1080p.)

The issue is that when your TV changes transmitters because the caravan has moved then it needs to be retuned. The only way that this can be done reliably is if the TV is set to factory default (i.e. out-of-box) conditions: there is usually an option for this somewhere in the menu system. It is also thereafter preferable to manually tune the TV rather than let it do it automatically for two reasons:
If the TV has been previously tuned and is then set to auto-tune again it sometimes does not do a full retune but just checks for updates. This would mean that any 'new' stations will be regarded by the TV as duplicates and be positioned at channel 800 and above.

TVs always start tuning at TV transmitter channel 21 and tune up to channel 68 (even though nothing above channel 59 is now used and likely above channel 49 in a few years time as the frequencies are sold off for mobile phone use.) This means that if the transmitter site you want to receive has high channel numbers but there is a nearer transmitter that you don't want to receive you may end up with the 'wrong' one. Manual tuning will ensure you get what you want.

To find out go to www.wolfbane.com and insert either the postcode or the map reference of where you are going, select DX, and set the aerial height to 4m, and it will show you which transmitter sites cover that location. Any station showing a signal strength above about 45 or so should work although the highest should be the one used if possible - ignore the comment about the type of aerial needed, the site is notoriously pessimistic. Write down the channel numbers, direction, and polarity for the transmitter site or sites you may want to use. Then when you get to your camping site set the TV into manual tune mode and use those channel numbers, having pointed your aerial in the right direction first of course.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Normally,
After tuning the TV, the stations are stored in the TV memory which is non volatile.Are you sure you are storing the tuned stations in the TV memory.(usually a manual operation)
If you are, then you may have a faulty TV

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
When I say moved,I mean any slight knock or the wife pushing it back on the worktop!
The tuning method is correct as per manual and as far as I am aware it is saving the settings.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Check the co-ax cable connections in the connectors,sounds like a bad connection, disturbed when the TV is moved - might even be a break in the aerial cable.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
It does it whether I use the front arial connection or the rear. Plus I have used different leads it still reacts in the same way

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have you got another Tv in the house you could try? this would then eliminate the wiring in the van and the fly lead from socket to TV.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For my ten penny worth,

I agree with Bertie boy:

It sound more like a problem with the TV set rather than the aerial system. All tV's that I have used will remember the station settings, such that if the aerial signal is lost and then reconnected, the TV resumes the programme.

Computers have a small battery installed to keep teh settings data. If the battery fails the computer forgets its settings, Perhaps the TV has a similar system, though I've yet to see one.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ah, the truth will out. One of two causes - either the central 'socket' of the socket on the back of the TV has become splayed and is thus not making good contact or one of the two halves has broken off (surprisingly common) the socket has a dry joint on the motherboard.

If the central 'socket' has splayed it can be squeezed back together with a pair of small snipe-nosed electronics pliers. If it is either of the other two faults it will probably cost more to have it fixed than to replace the TV.

TVs are now classed as disposables and are expected to have a life of only about 5 years - not the 10-15 years or more we used to get on older CRT sets. Inside they are almost impossible to work on and need considerable dexterity, patience, and good eyesight - assuming of course you can get it apart in the first place.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Woodentop,
Let's look at this logically.

The OP reports when the set is moved it loses all its station memory and it has to be retuned. He has not told us the aerial needs to be reinserted or touched, but he has tried several different combinations of aerial leads and sockets on the set. I agree the 75Ohm sockets are a weak point, so there may be an issue with the socket, but the fact he reports the same happens using front and rear sockets, tends to discount them along with the different leads he has tried.

If it were an aerial and lead related problem, he would probably reported difficulties in tuning the set, but he only reports the set losing its tuning and requiring retuning to restore programs. The key reference is having to retune.

Every set that I have come across since the introduction of built in freeview has memory to keep the programme tuning data, such that if it's turned off, or loses input signal, it only requires the signal and power to be present to restore the programme. They do not need to be retuned. Certainly losing aerial signal should not cause the set to lose its memory.

For those reasons, I am pretty certain the OP's issue is a fault inside the set, and not the aerial system.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
An update I have just brought the tv into the house and connected to our roof arial. The set worked perfectly no matter how much I moved it. So I assume it is a signal strength issue.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
An update I have just brought the tv into the house and connected to our roof arial. The set worked perfectly no matter how much I moved it. So I assume it is a signal strength issue.

Or a poor connection somewhere in the caravan. Re-check all the connections from the aerial, to the booster, from the booster, to the wall socket.

Your post has reminded me to check our TV from the caravan into the house as we also get inconsistent viewing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve
Well imo that proves beyond all reasonable doubt the TV is OK.
I'd check every co ax joint plug and socket and even remake them. Check all the co ax wiring. On a previous caravan Bailey had put a staple through the new cable rendering the aerial system us!! Try and go through all the wiring too.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The set I use in the caravan was giving me tuning nightmares. It would work then not work. We could tune it in & get perfect tv one day & the next day hardly be able to watch anything. Turns out it is particularly sensitive to our mobile phones. If they were left on the shelf next to the tv it would cause the picture to break up. If we keep the phones away from the set it works fine. Just a thought........

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
thedoog1 said:

Steve

Put the signal finder into the coax end that fits into the TV, test for loss of signal by moving the coax about.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
glenno said:
The set I use in the caravan was giving me tuning nightmares. It would work then not work. We could tune it in & get perfect tv one day & the next day hardly be able to watch anything. Turns out it is particularly sensitive to our mobile phones. If they were left on the shelf next to the tv it would cause the picture to break up. If we keep the phones away from the set it works fine. Just a thought........

My guess would be that your caravan is an older model which will have been wired with the old type (usually brown) TV coax that has a very loose open braid screen and you are getting signal pick-up on the cable. It needs replacing with PF100 or CT100 which has a close woven braid but also has a copper foil cover under the braid providing a very solid and effective screen to cable pick-up.

Our last caravan had a similar problem. On a site one day SWMBO was watching TV and I was moving around in the van getting ready for bed. She complained that as I moved the picture (then analogue) was ghosting and breaking up. The next day I got some PF100 from Screwfix and replaced the original cable and we never had another problem with it.

I know I (and others) keep banging on about it but it is also important that you are using the correct transmitter site for your location. Digital TV's always autotune from channel 21 to channel 68. If you are on a site where the preferred serving station has a higher channel number but there is another local station with a good signal but on lower numbered channels it will likely tune to the lower numbered channels and shove the preferred channels at 800 and above as what it thinks are duplicates.

Before leaving home go to
and insert the map ref or postcode for where you are going with the aerial height as 4m and the preference set to 'distant' and it will show you the channel numbers, bearing, polarity and predicted signal strength for the transmitter site(s) serving that location. Write these down, then when on site point the aerial in the right direction and with the right polarity and start an autotune. Stop it immediately (to wipe the memory) then do a manual tune and you will get the 'correct' stations. You will need a signal strength of above about 40 to get a stable picture and something over about 46 to be 100% certain. Ignore the notes about aerial type - the site is notoriously pessimistic. When you look at the diagnostics remember that on DTTV it is the signal quality the signal strength that matters. 80% signal and 40% quality will not work reliably, but 40% signal and 80% quality probably will.

TRENDING THREADS