the fairweather campers kids are back

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When was your last post submitted Ian?

The last post that I can see of yours on this subject was yesterday at ten past three.

A comment by Soozeeg in support of the moderators was then submitted at nineteen minutes past three which I saw at the time.

I'm sorry to say Ian that I was so dismayed by the comments that you made, which are still on my screen, that I switched off my computer altogether then and I didn't look at this forum again until I replied to William's supportive comment at one minute past eleven this morning.

Are you saying that you have had a post deleted?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It does appear that my last post somehow disappeared which was surprising as it complimented you on input into the forum and also moderating correctly where appropriate.

However I also suggested that a moderator should not be taking sides on any issue and as a moderator advcie should not be offered advice as some newbies may take advice from a moderator, that is any moderator, as gospel if you can understand where I am going and this could lead to accusations if something goes wrong.

As suggested by another poster perhaps as a moderator you should consider posting advice etc under another name as your advice and input is appreciated. Interject as a moderator under your moderation log in when true moderation is requried.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I am quite sure that Parksy (or indeed any moderator) would not offer advice that he was not fairly confident about giving - what would be the point of it otherwise? That's not to say that people can't be wrong and mistakes can't be made......and Parksy in particular is very quick to admit it if he has ever made a mistake (to his credit!). Any person's advice could potentially be flawed, not just a moderator's - it is up to the recipient to decide to take the advice, or not.

And, after all, it is only advice.......not a direct order to follow his instructions to the letter!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I honestly haven't deleted any posts from anyone within this thread.

I know that forum members can and indeed do sometimes disagree with something that I might have written, all members have every right to disagree and I'd be very surprised if one or two didn't submit posts to let their feelings be known.

It would be counter productive of me to delete posts which contained criticisms because when I leave them up on the message boards I have a chance to answer or 'put my side of the story.'

I'm sorry that your post has disappeared Ian but I have no knowledge of it and Damian or Ray haven't deleted anything as far as I know.

This forum can be a little bit quirky as you probably know so it's typical of my luck for your complimentary words to vanish.

To return to your point about the 'moderator' log in.

I do my best not to take sides but anything that I or anyone else writes on this forum is open to the interpretation of whoever is reading the words.

I do have opinions which in the widest sense I offer.

The t.v. in awnings topic is a good illustration. To be honest I have no strong feelings either way, each to their own, but I submitted my post generally in favour of televisions to give the topic some balance and to open up debate.

If by doing that 'as a moderator' I've encouraged a new forum member to add their views then I've achieved something at least.

I wouldn't dream of joining in on controversial topics,(other than as a moderator)it would not be appropriate for me to comment on religion and politics.

I would never try to encourage a particular point of view, not one that mattered much anyway, if I did this I would be in no position to moderate on this forum.

As far as caravan related advice is concerned I either draw directly on my own life experience e.g. 'Should I buy an undocumented caravan from a man in a pub?' - 'NO!'

or I only offer advice on what I know to be correct by showing the source of my information.

If I'm unsure I always make this clear.

Moderators on every other caravan related internet forum give advice and offer opinions as moderators, because the format of this forum is obsolete I try to be very careful with opinions or advice that I offer in case they are misinterpreted.

The advice that I received in this regard when I first became a forum moderator was to join in on topics to provide a visible presence on the forum.

Rather like a police car on a motorway a visible moderator on the forum can sometimes cool anger and give pause for thought, we don't get as many forum rows on here as we used to and if anyone requires help to forward email addresses or to find a previous topic they know that the moderators are around.

As Sue has said, any advice from anyone on a forum can be flawed, I would often like to help but refrain from doing so because I'm not 100% sure or my facts can't be checked independently.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i am a mother with 2 kids and a dog. i wont let my youngest who 7 go out on his own. he is supervised whilst playing as most play equipment states and if he goes out on his scooter then i am with him.

i dont agree with parents letting there kids go to the play area alone as it states supervised. all kids on bikes and scooters should follow the way of the traffic and go steady not hell for leather. i dont allow my kids to play ball or anything like that near my van and car let alone anybody elses. i would be devastated if my kids damaged someones van or car.

im not a hitler but people should have some respect for other caravaners.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I honestly haven't deleted any posts from anyone within this thread.

I know that forum members can and indeed do sometimes disagree with something that I might have written, all members have every right to disagree and I'd be very surprised if one or two didn't submit posts to let their feelings be known.

It would be counter productive of me to delete posts which contained criticisms because when I leave them up on the message boards I have a chance to answer or 'put my side of the story.'

I'm sorry that your post has disappeared Ian but I have no knowledge of it and Damian or Ray haven't deleted anything as far as I know.

This forum can be a little bit quirky as you probably know so it's typical of my luck for your complimentary words to vanish.

To return to your point about the 'moderator' log in.

I do my best not to take sides but anything that I or anyone else writes on this forum is open to the interpretation of whoever is reading the words.

I do have opinions which in the widest sense I offer.

The t.v. in awnings topic is a good illustration. To be honest I have no strong feelings either way, each to their own, but I submitted my post generally in favour of televisions to give the topic some balance and to open up debate.

If by doing that 'as a moderator' I've encouraged a new forum member to add their views then I've achieved something at least.

I wouldn't dream of joining in on controversial topics,(other than as a moderator)it would not be appropriate for me to comment on religion and politics.

I would never try to encourage a particular point of view, not one that mattered much anyway, if I did this I would be in no position to moderate on this forum.

As far as caravan related advice is concerned I either draw directly on my own life experience e.g. 'Should I buy an undocumented caravan from a man in a pub?' - 'NO!'

or I only offer advice on what I know to be correct by showing the source of my information.

If I'm unsure I always make this clear.

Moderators on every other caravan related internet forum give advice and offer opinions as moderators, because the format of this forum is obsolete I try to be very careful with opinions or advice that I offer in case they are misinterpreted.

The advice that I received in this regard when I first became a forum moderator was to join in on topics to provide a visible presence on the forum.

Rather like a police car on a motorway a visible moderator on the forum can sometimes cool anger and give pause for thought, we don't get as many forum rows on here as we used to and if anyone requires help to forward email addresses or to find a previous topic they know that the moderators are around.

As Sue has said, any advice from anyone on a forum can be flawed, I would often like to help but refrain from doing so because I'm not 100% sure or my facts can't be checked independently.
Fair do. No problem. Also disappearing post probably a quirk of the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts