The Future of Caravanning?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The idea isn't new, the concept of having a self powered caravan has been discussed previously.

It might be possible in some parts of the world, but it would require a new vehicle type classification in the UK as the trailer has its own motors and driving wheels. Just imagin the NCAP safety testing!

In general EVs have ample torque and horsepower to tow, so the problem isn't the mechanical capability, it's the limited available energy storage in the tow vehicle. So as a concept, rather than giving driven wheels to the trailer, just connect the trailers battery to the EV. I know this probably has plenty of its own technical and regulatory issues.

That could also be a solution for range extending for longer EV journeys, hook up a battery trailer.

Reactions: Bracechenk
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not forgetting as a powered vehicle it probably would have to undergo a MOT every year, need to be taxed, insurance would be compulsory and premium will probably be eye watering expensive.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
If the caravan has powered wheels all you need to add is a means of steering it and you could dispense with the tow car all together. I think I'll patent the idea .......... I'll call it a motor home. ;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It might work in America but over here we would need something lighter and the batteries then seem to be the problem. I think the Prof is probably correct and that improvement in the cars batteries are a better bet, but only time will tell.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Given size of battery pack plus motors going to add few 100kgs which would exceed towing capacity of lot of vehicles. Not likely to be issue in USA where if tow vehicle is likely to be F series or RAM pickup.

Charging on roading is going to be issue. Will have to unhitch and drive RV into charging station assuming it fits. Same for EV tow vehicle. See Andrew Ditton Youtube channel on his charging experiences while towing.

TRENDING THREADS