The Panic has started,

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We're away on the edge of the Staffordshire moorland and the Peak District, miles from anywhere.
I'd got just under ¾ of a tank of diesel left which would get the caravan back in storage and us back home.
The trouble was that we were reluctant to drive to the local market towns because I didn't want to run short of fuel when towing home.
We went into Leek earlier today, and on the way in there was an Esso garage with no queues, so I topped up.
There is no fuel shortage here and the recent panic buying seems to be over now.
We had a little sightseeing tour after filling up, we're on holiday after all. 😁

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We're away on the edge of the Staffordshire moorland and the Peak District, miles from anywhere.
I'd got just under ¾ of a tank of diesel left which would get the caravan back in storage and us back home.
The trouble was that we were reluctant to drive to the local market towns because I didn't want to run short of fuel when towing home.
We went into Leek earlier today, and on the way in there was an Esso garage with no queues, so I topped up.
There is no fuel shortage here and the recent panic buying seems to be over now.
We had a little sightseeing tour after filling up, we're on holiday after all. 😁
Hi Parksy i am pleased you have top up the car and having some sightseeing that what a holiday is enjoy :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The horrible cynic that dwells deep within makes me wonder if this 'shortage' was manufactured to shift old stocks of petrol that fuel providers accumulated during the pandemic lockdown when nobody was driving or buying fuel 🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The horrible cynic that dwells deep within makes me wonder if this 'shortage' was manufactured to shift old stocks of petrol that fuel providers accumulated during the pandemic lockdown when nobody was driving or buying fuel 🤔
I think it was to ensure all the petrol station tanks were emptied so that E10 could be brought in more rapidly.
Jerry can sales rise 1600%. Ive got two empty ones in the garage. One careful owner. Any offers ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At the risk of being banned….
Yes . We all clapped for the NHS staff👏👏👏👍
Meanwhile there were a group who put food on our tables, delivered our goods , kept the supermarket shelves full.
The proverbial hits the fan and all of a sudden last week or so we have a problem..

A lot of these HGV drivers , live away from home “tramping “. No fun.No regular home showers toilets food etc. Maybe it’s time the populous recognised the hard work, inconvenient long hours our truckers put in to keep us mere mortals happy👏👏👏👏👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As someone who's had a short break from lorry driving and now re-trained(eyesight test,medical,35 hours of CPC training),soon to be back on the road,I couldnt agree with you more Dustydog.
What’s this Ade, self applause? 👍👍👍👍

Hope it goes okay. What will you be driving and where ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect you have hit the nail on the head. Doesn't fuel have a limited life span? I can remember when flying around Southern Africa to bush strips, before topping up from 44 gallon drums the pilot would check the fuel first. If it was "off" the contents of the drum were disposed.
During the lock down period in 2020 we used less than 100 litres for the 4 months. Between 16th Dec and 12th April we used about 150 litres as went to supermarkets instead of delivery.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ships dieso would throw a fine silt if kept in shoreside storage too long. That was caused when refining methods changed and the ramifications were known about. The silt could lead to clogged fuel supply filters especially rough weather. But the fuel in storage tanks ashore could be recovered by filtering it clean again.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ships dieso would throw a fine silt if kept in shoreside storage too long. That was caused when refining methods changed and the ramifications were known about. The silt could lead to clogged fuel supply filters especially rough weather. But the fuel in storage tanks ashore could be recovered by filtering it clean again.
Diesel Bug bacteria . Todays diesel contains 7% Biodiesel good for the environment but not if you want to store it, clogs the fuel system with gunge.
I'm a member of a Waterways Society and our dredger, was completely useless when it had to stand for a while.
Had to strip the fuel system from the tank through to the injectors to get it running. We have an addictive in now but how long does that last, not that friendly to the environment.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
This morning I heard on the radio that bottled gas is now fully available in all parts of the country, Car Fuel deliveries have almost completely replenished the retailers forecourts, Covid restrictions of all types are ended, the president of France has started being sensible, Free TV licences for over 75's are being restored, and a celebratory public holiday is to be taken at Christmas. Then I heard the sound of my alarm clock, woke up, and pulled myself together.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon we both were going for our third jab and did not expect any problem going there . Famouse last words, we joind a queu which was on a bend of the road so could not see whether it was a incedent or road works. As the time was gettin on I started panicking so put the sat nav on for detour . It took me to nearly the head of the que and found out they were going for fuel , well some of the were but as you could not see the garage they were just waiting patiently. . Coming back I thought that as ther que was other side of road it would be no problem , .For some unknown reason they were not moving at all so sat nav again with smooth journy home . Today MOT left early and chose main road route without garages. This time they had blocked the road going into Tesco on a round about , for on going traffic such as I they should have left gaps but refused to give way .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Diesel Bug bacteria . Todays diesel contains 7% Biodiesel good for the environment but not if you want to store it, clogs the fuel system with gunge.
I'm a member of a Waterways Society and our dredger, was completely useless when it had to stand for a while.
Had to strip the fuel system from the tank through to the injectors to get it running. We have an addictive in now but how long does that last, not that friendly to the environment.
What I was posting about was a result of differences in the refining process that caused the deiso to ‘cloud” after a time. The problem you refer to was caused by cladosporium resinae, a fungus that grows in the interface between fuel and water. It will clog the systems and lead to shut downs particularly in rough weather. A number of offshore patrol ships were built based on a commercial fishing design. As a cost saving fuel centrifuges we’re left out. The net result was the ships fuel particulate filters clogged. Outcome….. lack of propulsion.

You could fit the dredger with a centrifuge, coalescer filter then on engine filter. Save the need for dosing etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I topped up at the same Esso in Leek this morning, a bit pricey but no restriction on amount - should see us through for a few days

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
At the risk of being banned….
Yes . We all clapped for the NHS staff👏👏👏👍
Meanwhile there were a group who put food on our tables, delivered our goods , kept the supermarket shelves full.
The proverbial hits the fan and all of a sudden last week or so we have a problem..

A lot of these HGV drivers , live away from home “tramping “. No fun.No regular home showers toilets food etc. Maybe it’s time the populous recognised the hard work, inconvenient long hours our truckers put in to keep us mere mortals happy👏👏👏👏👏
Totally agree. Very very underrated.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Otherclive.....
I'm a bit restricted as to what I can do after having a full knee replacement.
Approx.80% full movement,can't kneel on it and getting on a bit.lol.
I think my best bet is on a 4/6 wheeler rigid with tail lift delivering chilled/frozen goods to stores.
Had lots of experience with this and its mostly in cages or on pallets plus the exercise whilst unloading keeps the blood flowing in the knee joint.
Oh......and the money🤭

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
What I was posting about was a result of differences in the refining process that caused the deiso to ‘cloud” after a time. The problem you refer to was caused by cladosporium resinae, a fungus that grows in the interface between fuel and water. It will clog the systems and lead to shut downs particularly in rough weather. A number of offshore patrol ships were built based on a commercial fishing design. As a cost saving fuel centrifuges we’re left out. The net result was the ships fuel particulate filters clogged. Outcome….. lack of propulsion.

You could fit the dredger with a centrifuge, coalescer filter then on engine filter. Save the need for dosing etc.
Thanks OC thanks for your advice. will certainly look to follow, Funds allowing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Otherclive.....
I think my best bet is on a 4/6 wheeler rigid with tail lift delivering chilled/frozen goods to stores.
Had lots of experience with this and its mostly in cages or on pallets plus the exercise whilst unloading keeps the blood flowing in the knee joint.
Oh......and the money🤭
Good luck with finding a job. Probably a good time to recover as employers will be happier now to accept some disability. Hope it all works out.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Otherclive.....
Oh......and the money🤭
I hope you find the job that is suitable for your requirements and money is great good luck.:)

Reactions: GeorgeandAde

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Don't want to gloat (well not very much:p) but, here in Portugal, there is no problem filling up anywhere. Oh, and the supermarket shelves are heaving with products. It's the same in Spain.
Foreign newspapers are a bit embarrassing to read at the moment!

TRENDING THREADS