The Panic has started,

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cornwall yesterday it was no April Fool🤬 If only. The chap next to me has to tow to Wakefield tomorrow. Can’t do it on one tank😢😢. You can always rely on the Beeb to cause havoc
OMG better get the antifreeze checked then before winter really sets in. 709FDE59-8955-4E1E-9782-26855EF0B8E0.jpeg

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The BBC and for that Matter ITV and there cohorts , should be taken to task about this, Report it yes but, not in such a way, that, it sounds like garages are closing by the dozen, daily.
Another thing that is making my blood boil, is the heavy goods driver shortages. These haulage companies are complaining to the government (plus BBC) about the shortage, expecting the Gov to sort it.
These are private companies it's up to them to sort it, improve pay and conditions, they should. It's the same as fruit picking, the famers, instead of paying starvation wages, pay a decent wage, You never know?

If prices go up I will not by them. They have to move with the times, just shut up moaning.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Wifey and me are in Cornwall living in the caravan until our house is built
We put the caravan here because its one of the few that do a 13 week let
We now each do a commute of 100 miles a day
Before the fuel problem not an issue, now, hmm.
Yesterday I returned from oop north empty tank light on, popped into xxxxx filled up no issue,
BUT
I called at Exeter services empty pumps apart from 6 priced at 155.9 pence a litre!
I drove off not paying that

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The BBC and for that Matter ITV and there cohorts , should be taken to task about this, Report it yes but, not in such a way, that, it sounds like garages are closing by the dozen, daily.
Another thing that is making my blood boil, is the heavy goods driver shortages. These haulage companies are complaining to the government (plus BBC) about the shortage, expecting the Gov to sort it.
These are private companies it's up to them to sort it, improve pay and conditions, they should. It's the same as fruit picking, the famers, instead of paying starvation wages, pay a decent wage, You never know?

If prices go up I will not by them. They have to move with the times, just shut up moaning.
There are HGV driver shortages throughout several European countries so it’s not just U.K. My ex son in law came back from the Netherlands last December just before the final Brexit deal clicked in and he could no longer work in Europe. He spent some of this year on telecoms installation via his private single man company. But IR35 caught up with him, along with HMRC, the courts and CSA. He used to drive long haul to Europe and he’s now back on HGVs whilst illegally sub letting his rented flat. So this shortage is a good thing.. He might get round to paying the £10 pk maintence plus court fees, and help the exchequer balance its books by having to pay PAYE and NI.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are joking🤔. Here on site we have all managed to fill our tanks at extortionate cost just to get home. Forget the photo. We are entering another real crisis 😥😥
No, my original question about was it a real photo and reporter with that name was a genuine question. We all know how clever fake photography can be and it’s uses in fake news spread via social media.

Glad you have managed to fuel up. Could be difficult for those who don’t have the range to get home without refuelling but the authorities do try and keep motorway services open for fuelling. Albeit costly.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You are joking🤔. Here on site we have all managed to fill our tanks at extortionate cost just to get home. Forget the photo. We are entering another real crisis 😥😥
DD glad you manage to fill up at some petrol stations where i live you are only allowed £20 worth of fuel :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had to go to Malvern this afternoon with less than 1/4 tank of diesel. Unfortunately had to use the Jeep. Every service station we passed was empty! Came back on fumes. Not even sure if there is enough fuel to get to a service station on Monday and don't want to risk it so will sedn OH in her car to check first before I go? I only need about £20 fuel.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In preparation of our Sunday home departure we decided to fill up with Diesel today.. We queued for 20 minutes in a massive traffic jam before reaching the pump. At £1.44 a litre 🤬🤬🤬Better a full tank. Sadly panic buying and high costs have arrived.
DD I hope you have a safe journey home :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that even in the current panic motorway prices will mean people avoid them. At least they have room for you to queue,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My granddaughter picked up an early overtime shift at Tesco convenience that started at 0600. When she finished at 1200 she rang my wife to say she was home okay. But also said at 0600 there were queues out into the main road. “And Nan they were nearly all old people. “ Which to a 16 year old probably means anyone over the age of 40. The forecourt had two pumps available, petrol but no diesel.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I suspect that even in the current panic motorway prices will mean people avoid them. At least they have room for you to queue,
I was told yesterday of a motorway service station charging £1.90 per Litre for diesel. I have no more detail yet. We have 2 filling stations nearby, and both are closed for fuel. One was priced at £1.36 for diesel before selling out, the other bumped their diesel price up from £1.36 to £1.40 before selling out.

Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Would this have happened if the TV News hadn't hyped up a few (<50) BP Stations have a problem?

I suspect so, as bad news travels very quickly in this connected age; I am just banking on there soon being no more car fuel tanks left to fill, other than our two.

Just back from a day out and every fuel station (passed 5) was closed, coned or barriered off, and car fuel now getting horribly low; only saving grace did 64.5 to the gallon so eking out what little we have. Driving at about 45 mph on the rural roads though must have caused a few misunderstanding comments.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect so, as bad news travels very quickly in this connected age; I am just banking on there soon being no more car fuel tanks left to fill, other than our two.

Just back from a day out and every fuel station (passed 5) was closed, coned or barriered off, and car fuel now getting horribly low; only saving grace did 64.5 to the gallon so eking out what little we have. Driving at about 45 mph on the rural roads though must have caused a few misunderstanding comments.
Desperately need petrol for the mower but don’t want to appear a panic buyer. If I use our daughters battery mower it will cost me as the quid pro quo would be her three large areas of lawn.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Desperately need petrol for the mower but don’t want to appear a panic buyer. If I use our daughters battery mower it will cost me as the quid pro quo would be her three large areas of lawn.
Buy her a goat, or a shetland pony, Grand kids would love them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Buy her a goat, or a shetland pony, Grand kids would love them.
She has two enormous rabbit, Giant French Lops and they are supposed to graze the grass. But not really seen any real progress. She’s had sheep, goats and the obligatory border collie in one of her houses. Think I will just sit this “ panic” out. Could possibly siphon some essence from the Subaru. My best mans younger brother ran a Cadillac for a good while using a siphon. But I wouldn’t support such doings. And the mum was a Sunday School and primary school teacher too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reality check!
Left St Agnes Head at 7.00 am today. The main Esso services on the A30 was open. No queues just one waiting for pumps. All grades available.
Over Nearly 250 miles on A30/M5&M4/ A419. No queues, no closures other than Michaelwood services that had no petrol only diesel.
Hopefully the BBC and Daily Mail Fake news has been recognised as total scare mongering. There should be a Law to stop this ridiculous behaviour!
Hope you all bought your Bog Rolls😜😜

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts