The reason it is called the Leisure industry

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Why is the motorhome industry in the south not geared up for a professionally attitude to sales.
I am recently retired with my wife we had decided we would like to see more of the UK at our leisure and convenience. This week w/c 21st September we visited four motorhome companies’ in the Wiltshire/Berkshire area we live in Swindon, a new small motorhome or campervan :evil: would suit just the two of use. The first in Swindon on looking at the large motorhome I commented to the sales man leaning on the desk chatting to a colleague do you have smaller units available answer no call for them I moved on to south Wiltshire hour drive away supposedly a two franchise company turn up rather poor display area with only one franchise motorhome available looking around one of the vans man pokes his head out of building doorway can I help yes where are your other franchise vans haven’t got any, the one we had wanted to see although advertised in all the magazines as having both. So move onto next in west Berkshire turned up looking around at vans trying to see in detail but all units Locked 20 minutes looking no one came out to speak to us we could not see vans properly so on to next outlet on border of Reading and Wokingham are this is starting to look good we could see what we where after a sales man came and introduce himself spent a good time tailoring our requirement gave us a guide figure which we believe was good then said just got to go to the office after 45 minutes wait we decided this is not the service we would expect so a definite lost sale.
Conclusion unless you phone first asking if the advertised product and sales person available to discuss purchase and your are prepared to wait 5 months or more for your Motorhome/Campervan forget it, I cannot believe the very poor service in this industry.

I will be looking at more but I am not holding my breath

Have other found this or is it something in middle England due to less competition.

Man with money burning a hole in pocket.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi again Delana
I think it may be a matter of timing, although I agree that some of the dealers can appear to be apathetic
This weekend many of the manufacturers have their new models stock at the Lincoln Show. Likewise many dealers will also have taken their Used Stock to that show. Also many will be gearing up for the Birmingham NEC Show in October, some have already released details of new models to the press, but the NEC is often used to "launch" new models to the public before stock is released to the dealers.
If it's feasible it may be worthwhile for you to visit the show to see as much variety of layouts & build quality that are available on the market. (but use it as a knowledge based exercise & leave the cheque book at home)

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Delana, the motorhome industry falls well short of expectations of most people, including me, who have worked in demanding customer service/sales environments. I had a long conversation with my dealer over my "excessive expectations". I concluded I wanted a 5 star service which is what I gave my customers, the dealer could only deliver 3 star but did so consistently. We now have a better understanding of each other and a better relationship.

What I find irritating is that dealers have no comprehension of what good service looks like.

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
thank you for understanding. Do we bend to the industry's poor service or make them notice with a small chance of improvement or say nothing and the likelihood of the service going south.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts