The sweet spot

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
One thing strikes me about some EVs where there is no dealer network. Viz Polestar and Tesla. I swopped my last Subaru when a local franchise closed down. The nearest one was north of Swindon and whilst I had bought one from them previously I really didn’t fancy having a round trip of 64 miles for servicing or repairs. So we now have cars where I can walk to the dealership faster than I can drive.

What do Tesla or Polestar owners do? A neighbour with a GTR had it collected for service on a covered car trailer.
Tesla have both service locations and mobile service teams that will come to you.

Polestar use the Volvo network in the UK.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I had a meeting with an industry analyst just this week who informed me that the new batteries have a predicted life of 500,000 miles, worries about battery replacement outside of an insurance claim from an accident will be very much a thing of the past.
So I came across this Rory Reid YouTube video today on an original battery and motor Tesla model S that has 430,000 miles on it.

The TLDR, it still has over 70% of its range left and over 190 miles of motorway range.

View: https://youtu.be/doAcNVuTnXU?si=0ej-iZQOIzmMmGEC

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The focus seems to be mostly on the larger EV cars, probably because we want to tow with them.
Now, a question, how many people have personally bought or leased these cars.
Not through company stuff,

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, an interesting slant. But I’m puzzled as to why a RAV4 is more expensive to run than a Tesla. Is it the hybrid/PHEV aspect?
Standard hybrid so petrol only.

RUC on PHEVs meant they get taxed twice ie few cents Kms (regardless if on battery or petrol) then again by RUC content in petrol price. Lot of unhappy PHEV owners here.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I can't answer that one personally BUT I'm currently looking at new cars and the massive price jump of like-for-like cars over the last couple of years will more than likely push people into a lease scheme if they want to buy new. In 2022 my V90 had a list price of £42,500, today's equivalent (now they selling them in the UK again) is £64,000. Admittedly the 2022 is a mild hybrid and the 2024 models are plug-in hybrids, BUT a £22K+ price hike to replace a car like for like is incredible.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can't answer that one personally BUT I'm currently looking at new cars and the massive price jump of like-for-like cars over the last couple of years will more than likely push people into a lease scheme if they want to buy new. In 2022 my V90 had a list price of £42,500, today's equivalent (now they selling them in the UK again) is £64,000. Admittedly the 2022 is a mild hybrid and the 2024 models are plug-in hybrids, BUT a £22K+ price hike to replace a car like for like is incredible.
A big drawback is that if the car is over £40k you are penalised with a rather large additional tax payment annually for the first 5 years? I am not sure if it also applies to EVs?

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A big drawback is that if the car is over £40k you are penalised with a rather large additional tax payment annually for the first 5 years?
Oh yes...... Guess who thought he'd got himself a bargain ex-demonstrator Volvo V90 2 years ago but overlooked the annual tax cost....... :rolleyes: It is for 5 years and goes on the list price of the vehicle, a lot of "normal" family vehicles are now crossing that threshold.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The focus seems to be mostly on the larger EV cars, probably because we want to tow with them.
My grandson changed jobs and the Tesla went back. He's planning now to just run a single car and is looking at trading the 5 Series PHEV saloon for a pre owned leased Tesla Y as it is more suited for carrying their large dog. So that would be a private ownership albeit not at the eye watering prices of a new one.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh yes...... Guess who thought he'd got himself a bargain ex-demonstrator Volvo V90 2 years ago but overlooked the annual tax cost....... :rolleyes: It is for 5 years and goes on the list price of the vehicle, a lot of "normal" family vehicles are now crossing that threshold.
Our current car was 4 years old when purchased second hand and that extra tax was never mentioned by the dealership and I never thought of it as the priced I paid was under £40k. Probably didn't think it applied to second hand cars if I had thought about it. :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Co Car was replaced every 3 yrs or at 100 k miles whichever came first.

The scheme was abandoned and we were given a taxable allowance instead, do your own thing.
We quickly woke up! I can’t recall one person buying brand new. Most of us went for ex demos , ex Motorbility cars, or up two year old used. Since retiring the Kia was an ex demo ,still have her 8 yrs on and the VW 3 years old, but low mileage. Still got that.
Let someone else pay the depreciation price.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We quickly woke up! I can’t recall one person buying brand new. Most of us went for ex demos , ex Motorbility cars, or up two year old used. Since retiring the Kia was an ex demo ,still have her 8 yrs on and the VW 3 years old, but low mileage. Still got that.
We were really impressed with the rental VW Tiguan and it will be on our short list if in the future we decide to replace the Corolla.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Exactly, both my Volvo's were ex-demonstrators at 6 months old, I saved £15K on the first one and £10K on the second. I briefly looked at the Audi A6 TSFI-e a few weeks back, they have an eye-watering list price of £65K but you can get a 4 month old ex-demo for £48K, there are so many ex-demos around that buying new (for me anyway) is never going to happen. Having said all that though, the escalating price of cars in general means that even an ex-demo is out of reach of a good many (including me).

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
We have three that have our family members names on the V5C. One purchased out right (all be it on 0% HP), and two on PCP. One was new, and the PCPs both used. All are small.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Looks like I am taking the plunge.

Never been happy with the MG. It looks nice very nice and drives nice except for very low speeds when die to a high tick over, and over powerful brakes means parking and traffic jams are painful. Also, the mpg is not great. I traveled to Fairford today for the air show. 40mpg out, and 30 for the return. Makes no sense.

I have been looking at a Range Rover Evoque, PHEV 2021/2. I am trying to hang on for an SE or HSE. On a 5 mile test drive it did 61mpg plus some for topping up the battery.

I know about the reputation. But they do look nice, (to me). And such a lovely drive with loads of power in reserve. Also a good tow car if we take that plunge again.

Does anyone have any experience.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Never been happy with the MG. It looks nice very nice and drives nice except for very low speeds when die to a high tick over, and over powerful brakes means parking and traffic jams are painful. Also, the mpg is not great. I traveled to Fairford today for the air show. 40mpg out, and 30 for the return. Makes no sense.

I have been looking at a Range Rover Evoque, PHEV 2021/2. I am trying to hang on for an SE or HSE. On a 5 mile test drive it did 61mpg plus some for topping up the battery.

I know about the reputation. But they do look nice, (to me). And such a lovely drive with loads of power in reserve. Also a good tow car if we take that plunge again.

John
All I can say is that you would need to be very brave going by the ratings on just about every car website. The high mpg is probably because it spends most of its time on the back of a breakdown truck? LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: borderbilly
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Not off the edge of a cliff John🤔

I wonder just how much credence we should give to the likes of Which Car? What Car? Etc😇

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Not off the edge of a cliff John🤔

I wonder just how much credence we should give to the likes of Which Car? What Car? Etc😇
Also JD Powers? If it were all different issues, but most seem to have a common theme. However it is probably best to join an Evoque forum or even a group on FB to get a better picture. Although the shape does not appeal to me, it looks very nice inside. The question is of course will John be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire?

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
The article from the Daily Mail is misleading at best. As we transition to EV consumers need accurate information, this is far from that.
I skimmed through the article and came across the Kia Niro, a car I know well. I double checked and the figures are way, way off the mark.

The Mail information:
Model: Kia e-Niro
Trim: 150kW 3 64kWh 5dr Auto
Year: 2020
Power: 201bhp / Range: 282 miles
Price new: £37,395
Value after 1yr, 10k miles: £18,150 (-51.5% yoy)
Value after 2yrs, 20k miles: £16,150 (-11.0% yoy)
Value after 3yrs, 30k miles: £14,850 (-8.0% yoy)
Value after 4yrs, 40k miles: £13,225 (-10.9% yoy)

Autotrader actual selling prices (ave):
Price new: £34,000
Value after 1 yr, 10k: £23,000 (approx 33%)
Value after 2yrs, 20k: £21,000
Value after 3yrs, 30k: £19,000
Value after 4yrs, 40k: £17,000

I didn't check if each car had the all important dealer service history so the prices could possibly be higher.
I have averaged the prices so there will be cheaper and more expensive examples.
Please go to autotrader to fact check for yourself. Remember this is the 64kwh version the Mail are quoting.

Reactions: Tobes
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

John
Hi John that Range Rover looks like my brother"s car and he very happy with it and the amount he getting to gallon me i would go for it .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
My son had a Freelander 2 a 2008 model and he sold it earlier this year for a Dacia Duster. I know it’s not directly relevant to you purchasing a later model Evoque, but he had no issues with the FL2 apart from a bearing in the rear diff, which JLR fixed in year 4 at no charge to him. The Evoque is a nice car and based on FL2 should give good service.

I wouldn’t have thought going to RIAT is a good measure of mpg. What’s it do on normal journeys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The article from the Daily Mail is misleading at best. As we transition to EV consumers need accurate information, this is far from that.
I skimmed through the article and came across the Kia Niro, a car I know well. I double checked and the figures are way, way off the mark.

The Mail information:

I didn't check if each car had the all important dealer service history so the prices could possibly be higher.
I have averaged the prices so there will be cheaper and more expensive examples.
Please go to autotrader to fact check for yourself. Remember this is the 64kwh version the Mail are quoting.
Are the Autotrader Selling (IE sold) or asking prices, and is the mail price a trade in or advertised or sold price?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

The Mail information:

However as you have pointed out, on Autotrader it is the selling price however you also omitted the year, power and range in your Autotrader comparison. What is the trade in value or value using the Glass book for the same car?

Also although they may be advertised at a certain price on Autotrader, as we all know negotiation could bring down the price. I agree that there are probably too many variables to be accurate.

However I think the DM article was pointing out that second hand EVs could be more affordable than a similar ICE vehicle. The DM article may not be 100% correct and neither may the ad in Autotrader be 100% correct. It is for the individual to judge and make a decision.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Are the Autotrader Selling (IE sold) or asking prices, and is the mail price a trade in or advertised or sold price?
Asking prices obviously. Possibly deduct somewhere between zero and a bit from that price depending on negotiating skills.
It's anyone's guess where the Mail got their numbers from. Their figures are way below BCA sold prices which are generally trade buying prices.

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
However as you have pointed out, on Autotrader it is the selling price however you also omitted the year, power and range in your Autotrader comparison. What is the trade in value or value using the Glass book for the same car?

Also although they may be advertised at a certain price on Autotrader, as we all know negotiation could bring down the price. I agree that there are probably too many variables to be accurate.

However I think the DM article was pointing out that second hand EVs could be more affordable than a similar ICE vehicle. The DM article may not be 100% correct and neither may the ad in Autotrader be 100% correct. It is for the individual to judge and make a decision.
I did quote the year, the power and range is the same for all 64kwh / 282 miles.

Negotiation may or may not bring the price down, maybe 5%, maybe nothing or somewhere in between

The point being the numbers quoted by the Mail are untrue by some margin, you simply cannot buy at those prices, and the prices in the Autotrader are real world.

The only takeaway from the article is that the best time to buy a used car is 2 or 3 years old, but we knew that anyway.

Reactions: Tobes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts