The sweet spot

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn’t have thought going to RIAT is a good measure of mpg. What’s it do on normal journeys.
It is about 45 mins drive for me. But mostly on fast roads. I arrived there at 6:45 so avoided most traffic. 40mpg

I was on a campsite very close to the runway and spent the day with family and friends. Blue Sky's we got a good view of the flying which was nearly a full programme plus a U2 which won’t be flying for the rest of the weekend.

I left immediately after the Red Arrows, so got on the road while others were still walking to the car parks.

Coming home was a similar except for a bit of a hold up at Birdlip. 30mpg

The mpg has always been inconsistent. I can get 35 just going to the shops then 26 the next day. When new it would be only getting 17. But at least that has doubled with running in. Average over time is about 34. Not brilliant.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is about 45 mins drive for me. But mostly on fast roads. I arrived there at 6:45 so avoided most traffic. 40mpg

I was on a campsite very close to the runway and spent the day with family and friends. Blue Sky's we got a good view of the flying which was nearly a full programme plus a U2 which won’t be flying for the rest of the weekend.

I left immediately after the Red Arrows, so got on the road while others were still walking to the car parks.

Coming home was a similar except for a bit of a hold up at Birdlip. 30mpg

The mpg has always been inconsistent. I can get 35 just going to the shops then 26 the next day. When new it would be only getting 17. But at least that has doubled with running in. Average over time is about 34. Not brilliant.

John
I recall last time at RIAT the exit queue was phenomenal, so we just pootled around for two hours or so, had a picnic, rang friends to let the dogs out for a comfort break, then had a gentle journey home. Next year we might use tge bus from Swindon, or P&P from Cheltenham race course. Or more likely picnic by the car and snooze.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our local Kia main dealer has a goodly number of Teslas plus a Polestar 2 was sold almost as soon as it was advertised at around £22k. The prices are competitive and for a highly specified expensive car the depreciation is high.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did quote the year, the power and range is the same for all 64kwh / 282 miles.

Negotiation may or may not bring the price down, maybe 5%, maybe nothing or somewhere in between

The point being the numbers quoted by the Mail are untrue by some margin, you simply cannot buy at those prices, and the prices in the Autotrader are real world.

The only takeaway from the article is that the best time to buy a used car is 2 or 3 years old, but we knew that anyway.
Maybe those selling on Autotrader are not living in the real world and taking a chance? Not defending the DM article, but neither are true sources of information, but who cares anyway?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Autotrader is a mix of commercial sellers and private sellers. The site uses an algorithm to indicate where the asking price sits in the range from high to low, taking into account mileage too. But there is no one price as it’s up to the seller to determine their asking price. I’ve looked at other sales sites and generally they sit within Autotrader bandwidth. Like all things it’s a case of buyer needs to do due diligence. But I would say from my observations the larger higher priced EVs have come down a long way in depreciation compared to ICE or Hybrid/Phev models. Wheras a 2017 Kia Rio bought in 2019 for £8250 now has a 2017 counterpart on the forecourt at £9999.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Every vehicle is only worth what someone will pay for it, so regardless of what Glasses or any other guide or newspaper article suggests, the true value is what it sells for.

I have a problem with most newspapers becasue they almost always are pushing one agenda or another, and the editor ensures that bias will creep into whatever is published.

It always sensible to keep a healthy scepticism about such articles.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in the early 90s the Vauxhall Cavalier was the Co Car to have. Especially the SRi.

The press constantly downgraded it! Why? Because they surveyed all the Co car owners who were hyper crictical of all aspects.

In fact the car was one of the best of its era.

Clarkson besmirched the Vectra and all but destroyed it.

I too believe a lot of the press is biased, also depending which rags you read. However I think if you take the broad view , no smoke without fire, then those cars at the bottom of most surveys are probably there for a reason😉

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Back in the early 90s the Vauxhall Cavalier was the Co Car to have. Especially the SRi.

The press constantly downgraded it! Why? Because they surveyed all the Co car owners who were hyper crictical of all aspects.

In fact the car was one of the best of its era.

Clarkson besmirched the Vectra and all but destroyed it.

I too believe a lot of the press is biased, also depending which rags you read. However I think if you take the broad view , no smoke without fire, then those cars at the bottom of most surveys are probably there for a reason😉
Spot on that is.

I haven't read a newspaper for a long time so hard to comment really. The beauty of the internet is you can take news and information from many sources and make an informed opinion.

I have noticed a weird group on social media, youtube etc who are vehemently anti-EV, spraying around misinformation. Even mainstream media often seems opposed to the EV transition I honestly don't understand it. They're just cars with a different method of propulsion, very good cars as it happens. The cynic in me thinks the oil industry and established car makers may be at work behind the scenes and screens, they stand to lose a lot of income over the coming years. Just my opinion of course but I see no other valid reason for it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts