Thermal Runaway

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The FRS seem to be most concerned about battery bikes and scooters that aren’t bought from recognised retailers. But it is a concern especially the ability to spontaneously combust even when not on charge. I guess a recognised make could even catch fire through a manufacturer fault or unseen damage. Look at Dreamliner 787 battery faults. Even with my lithium batteries for power tools I only put them on charge when I’m around. We never leave phones, tablets etc charging overnight either. But you can’t ride shotgun 100% of the time.

Reactions: Tobes and Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Providing your bikes are from a reputable company, as opposed to Wing-tang-chang or similar, and not sold from under the counter, or on a market, then I wouldn't worry too much. There must, by now, be millions of lithium battery powered devices, of all descriptions, in use around the UK that function perfectly for their entire lifespan.

"The media" are always desperate for "news" so will leap at the chance of "warning" us about anything that might be dangerous, even if the chances are remote. It's not as if hundreds, or even tens, of electric bikes are spontaneously combusting every day is it?

Statistically you are far more likely to be involved in a Road Traffic Collision, of which there are thousands each day rather than your bike catching fire, but you dont even think about an RTC every time you get into your car do you?..

Take the advised precautions, such as never charging Lithium batteries when you are not nearby, checking them for damage occasionally, and only using the charger they came with, and get on with enjoying, rather than worrying about, your life.

Reactions: Tobes and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to rate the Telegraph as a responsible newspaper, but with the introduction of the internet which has dented the revenue of all papers, it seems the old values of measured quality reporting has given way to sensationalism and click bait headlines and the concept that bad news is good news editing taken to extreme.

I'm not suggesting a fire like is not serious, it is. But there are more chip pan fires, or smoking related fires which are also dangerous which don't get reported.

But in this case as always there is a lack relevant information. Was the offending ebike a cheap and dangerous one or a properly manufactured one?

The problem with this type of reporting is it tars all ebikes and scooters and by inference EVs with the same brush, rather than focusing on those which are irresponsibly manufactured to cut costs and safety.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I used to rate the Telegraph as a responsible newspaper, but with the introduction of the internet which has dented the revenue of all papers, it seems the old values of measured quality reporting has given way to sensationalism and click bait headlines and the concept that bad news is good news editing taken to extreme.

I'm not suggesting a fire like is not serious, it is. But there are more chip pan fires, or smoking related fires which are also dangerous which don't get reported.

But in this case as always there is a lack relevant information. Was the offending ebike a cheap and dangerous one or a properly manufactured one?

The problem with this type of reporting is it tars all ebikes and scooters and by inference EVs with the same brush, rather than focusing on those which are irresponsibly manufactured to cut costs and safety.
Possible the clue was mention of having it having being bought previously off "marketplace" so probably not a recognised brand? Most of us know of the "marketplace"

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Yesterday an electric bike caught fire. We have two EV bikes . I’m now worried about leaving them in the car or by the caravan when away. Realistically any idea just how frequently Lithium batteries catch fire ? Do I need to worry?

http://t3.emails.telegraph.co.uk/r/...s=79VPiajlHEuTRswlNxn8XaIR9-JHB0kk6E9LbJIijh4

To an extent I share your concerns, having an electric bike , phones and laptops, plus sat nav etc etc all with lithium technology batteries.
In most reported cases the fire issues seem to be linked to charging or use, not "off" as with an e bike in the car; that gives me a modicum of comfort for that, where the stored amount of energy is large.
The other things some comfort in being far less stored energy, but added concern these are in use and often on charge.
With the bike I try to charge it outside, the other devices only when I am "there".
Plus, all our kit is what we believe are reputable brands.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
I think the 'burning e-bike problem' on the few occasions it occurs are to do with e-bike conversions, most likely as a result of buying a pick'n'mix of motors, chargers, batteries, controllers etc many of which are available online. Bafang do various of the 'reputable' ones - I know someone who used one to convert his bike - but some others are too cheap!

The battery for my bike has been charged, as required, without me standing over it for the past 5ish years but then it's a named (Fazua) system using the original charger.

The Lithium (LiFePo4) battery that's been fitted to our caravan for the past year also doesn't lead me to anxiety because, again, it's a reputable make and technology (KS Energy) with a lot of information available on their website, especially in respect of the Battery Monitoring System, and compatibility with car, caravan and solar chargers.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Without any real supporting evidence, so just my thoughts....

Fires that I've read about and had one personal experience of are often caused by faulty chargers.

This was my own experience with a knock off charger that looked identical to the real thing but didn't have the same controller hardware/firmware inside. It caused an 11.1v Lipo battery to overcharge and start venting in the kitchen. Fortunately we don't leave them unattended so got to it in time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think the 'burning e-bike problem' on the few occasions it occurs are to do with e-bike conversions, most likely as a result of buying a pick'n'mix of motors, chargers, batteries, controllers etc many of which are available online. Bafang do various of the 'reputable' ones - I know someone who used one to convert his bike - but some others are too cheap!

The battery for my bike has been charged, as required, without me standing over it for the past 5ish years but then it's a named (Fazua) system using the original charger.

The Lithium (LiFePo4) battery that's been fitted to our caravan for the past year also doesn't lead me to anxiety because, again, it's a reputable make and technology (KS Energy) with a lot of information available on their website, especially in respect of the Battery Monitoring System, and compatibility with car, caravan and solar chargers.
Thankyou Micky,
Our latest E bike is a small 5 speed fold up, allegedly manufactured in Taiwan, according to all the paperwork and labels.
The other is three years old and a home built conversion using Bafang components and allegedly a Samsung manufactured battery.. Bafang have a world wide reputation in the home conversion market and are well sold in the Pacific Rim and the Antipodes. A lot of the instructional stuff is of Aussie origin and very accurate and well presented.

I leave both charging , unattended, have never noticed any over heating. Mmm should I be more careful🤔.
I think I’m happy my stuff is ok but you never know. My conclusion is simple . Remove the batteries from the bikes whilst stored in the car . Batteries can sit outside wrapped up , away from the caravan 😎

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts