Thermal socks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I decided to pay a bit extra and buy thermal socks a few days ago. I have being trying them over the past couple of days and they seem to different to my other socks. Am I doing something wrong or are they supposed to go over another pair of socks?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I decided to pay a bit extra and buy thermal socks a few days ago. I have being trying them over the past couple of days and they seem to different to my other socks. Am I doing something wrong or are they supposed to go over another pair of socks?
I’ve only ever worn two pairs of socks when wearing walking boots. Although that was years ago as boots these days are so much more comfortable. I wouldn’t think you wear them over another pair of socks. What is different then?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I’ve only ever worn two pairs of socks when wearing walking boots. Although that was years ago as boots these days are so much more comfortable. I wouldn’t think you wear them over another pair of socks. What is different then?
I still wear two pairs of socks with trail or walking boots - the inner pair are thin liners to wick away any moisture while the outer socks are specifically for outdoor activities with multiple areas of varying thickness/support.

Those (of us) with heart and/or circulatory issues may well find that feet, and hands, change frequently from too hot to too cold and vice versa.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is no difference I am wondering why we paid the extra for thermal socks when there is no difference. Thought that maybe I was not wearing them like I was supposed to wear them. Seems not?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lidl's this week have long thermal socks for sale, £ 4.95 , I think the only difference is the close knit and the material composition.

With my walking boots Berghaus, 20 + years old, I used to wear the " 1000 mile" socks, a double layer sock. Now, my feet have changed size over the years I now wear thin cotton socks but with a memory gel inner sole. The same with my Brasher boots. But I have had to get those resoled, £45. after 5 years.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
A thermos flask keeps hot things hot and cold things cold so make sure that your feet are warm before you put your thermal socks on. ;) :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Used to wear 2 pairs of socks when riding motorcycles in the winter.
Lightweight inner socks with what we're always called "Fishermen Socks"! Kept my tootsie's toasty even in sub-zero temperatures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I bought them for use with the walking boots. They are obviously thicker and should be natural rather than manmade fibre.
Never worn them over another pair of socks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are so many types of socks that claim to be “ thermal” it’s a bit of a minefield knowing how and what to choose.

I have a number of pairs with high merino wool content. But are they better than alternatives? Cannot say.

For upper body ware in winter I use Thermocore shirts, warm but not bulky, and if really cold I wear a merino t shirt underneath.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are so many types of socks that claim to be “ thermal” it’s a bit of a minefield knowing how and what to choose.

I have a number of pairs with high merino wool content. But are they better than alternatives? Cannot say.

For upper body ware in winter I use Thermocore shirts, warm but not bulky, and if really cold I wear a merino t shirt underneath.
I suffer badly from cold feet no matter how much I move around and unfortunately with RA the issue is compounded. Quite a disappointment paying the extra for so called thermal socks, but zero difference. I do wear a vest or t shirt and can feel the difference on my chest so was expecting similar from thermal socks. Oh well at least they are comfy socks. (y) :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Isn't ThermCore meant for cooling?

"Our patent pending ThermoCore® technology is a novel, thermally-conductive polymer material with high heat transfer properties that maximize heat extraction from the wearer's body" https://19degreesn.com/pages/technology

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I suffer badly from cold feet no matter how much I move around and unfortunately with RA the issue is compounded. Quite a disappointment paying the extra for so called thermal socks, but zero difference. I do wear a vest or t shirt and can feel the difference on my chest so was expecting similar from thermal socks. Oh well at least they are comfy socks. (y) :)
Thermal clothing won't generate heat, only reduce it's loss rate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Isn't ThermCore meant for cooling?

"Our patent pending ThermoCore® technology is a novel, thermally-conductive polymer material with high heat transfer properties that maximize heat extraction from the wearer's body" https://19degreesn.com/pages/technology
Well your rapid search needs widening to encompass other uses. I’m hardly likely to buy winter shirts for cooling. Since they don’t suffer cold in Hawaii the link doesn’t cover other applications. Similarly merino wool can be used for cold comfort or a wicking layer in warm weather.

Look at Rohan website for starters.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Amazing what clothing materials are available today. I remember some 30 years ago Berghaus came up with the very”special fleece”.

Googling Rohan they say a regular-fit shirt, with UPF40+ sun protection, DMC and Silvadur™ antimicrobial technology provides comfort and protection when you’re out exploring.
Strikes me half of these wonderful words are nothing short of scientific trivia for buy me I’m brilliant so will be expensive.😄😄

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Norm, will be heated gloves, lowest price on Amazon, about £18. Rechargable.
The only time I buy from Rohan is when they have a sale on, which is about 50% of the time.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well your rapid search needs widening to encompass other uses. I’m hardly likely to buy winter shirts for cooling. Since they don’t suffer cold in Hawaii the link doesn’t cover other applications. Similarly merino wool can be used for cold comfort or a wicking layer in warm weather.

Look at Rohan website for starters.
I fully understand that insulation properties are useful in both hot and cold climates but "thermally-conductive polymer material with high heat transfer properties that maximize heat extraction from the wearer's body" implies cooling use only.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I fully understand that insulation properties are useful in both hot and cold climates but "thermally-conductive polymer material with high heat transfer properties that maximize heat extraction from the wearer's body" implies cooling use only.
Your Hawaii site has patents pending for an “active “ cooling system using circulating fluid Hardly the sort of apparel worn to keep someone warm during winter in Britain. The Thermocore used by Rohan, snd siimilar cloths of hollow fibres (Alpkit, North Face etc) are designed for wear in colder weather conditions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Amazing what clothing materials are available today. I remember some 30 years ago Berghaus came up with the very”special fleece”.

Googling Rohan they say a regular-fit shirt, with UPF40+ sun protection, DMC and Silvadur™ antimicrobial technology provides comfort and protection when you’re out exploring.
Strikes me half of these wonderful words are nothing short of scientific trivia for buy me I’m brilliant so will be expensive.😄😄
Don’t knock silver technolgy as it enables you to travel light without masses of underpants. One pair can do a minimum of four days as long as you wear them back to front and inside out. Although by then the dead day 1 bacteria allow you repeat the process. 😱🤣🤣🤣

TRENDING THREADS