Thetford C 250 Toilet

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi every body. I know this problem has been on here before and I would like to try and get a solution.I have already replaced the board 3 times housing the reed switch .I have just been to our van for the first time this year only to find the toilet wont flush again. I have often thought that there must be a way to modify this set up as the warning light doesnt work either I think the magnet went down a chemical waist pot on the East Coast .. Seriously has anybody modified this in any way .. Im sure there must be a way to overcome this issue
Sir Roger

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Three things Sir Roger
1.No flushing leads me to think the blade fuse at the rear of the waste hatch has failed. Clean the blade socket, spray with electrical contact spray and replace fuse with a new one.
2.Loss of the magnet from within the waste tank is usually caused by over vigorous shaking at the disposal point. I guess you could try an additional method of fastening the magnet to its housing.
3. The red full light is powered via the blade fuse in 2.
The reed switch board shouldn't fail so frequently. Maybe a faulty batch or dareI say incorrect original fitting ;)
I'd love to know the final outcome. Sadly I know of no modification

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Been there with this PCB. If you have lost the magnet, then this of course will have to be replaced for the reed switch to work. This happened on my old C200 - I retained it with a very small tie-wrap.

The wiring to the fuse/pcb runs under the 'floor' of the housing on the right hand side. There is a section you can take out to give more play in the wiring an so easier to deal with.

I would have a very good look at the spade connectors to the fuse. These are prone to corrosion, and not easily cleaned up, so cut them off and solder new ones in. Similarly, replace the fuse if it too has corrosion.

The 2 PCB terminals are very thin copper tracks, which corrode away to nothing. Do away with the conncector into which the pcb presses. instead take the 2 wires from your new spade terminals and solder directly to the pcb tracks away from the failed connections - these are easy to follow and merely require the surface to be cleaned for the solder to take. This completely removes these two failure points.

When all is done, invert a small plastic bag over the tower that retains the pcb and fuse, to prevent any splashes getting in there again.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
chrisn7 Sadly I lost the magnet in the first year of ownership. The reed switch in the flush doesnt need the magnet its worked fine for the last 5 years without . I believe there is big difference between the 200 and 250 but thanks for your input
Sir Roger

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My c 250 also stopped flushing.
I removed the control board from the top of the toilet and checked if there was power reaching it and then used some wire to bypass the board to supply power to the pump and it worked.
I thought I would need to replace the board, but everything seemed to be fine.
At this point I remembered that in my distant past I used to work on cars that used edge connectors to connect dashboard components and the different metals used in the connectors caused conductivity problems, a quick rub with some emery paper and everything worked.
Saved me having to pay for a new board.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
A Big Thank you to all for posting your suggestions. Sadly it has turned out be the reed switch again. I did post sometime ago to another forum member with same problem,my answer then was give the switch a quick shot of WD 40 it cured mine until now 3 years on so now to take advice from forum members that told me not to use WD I have now got a tin of contact cleaner to give the switch just another chance before I buy a new board for it .Once again many thanks .
Sir Roger

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
chrisn7 Sadly I lost the magnet in the first year of ownership. The reed switch in the flush doesnt need the magnet its worked fine for the last 5 years without . I believe there is big difference between the 200 and 250 but thanks for your input
Sir Roger

I only referred to the magnet on my old C200. All other info relates to my current C250.
The reed switch will not respond to any sprays - its a sealed unit. Its the same type of switch used on doors in domestic alarm systems. Even new ones fail. Although your flush may have worked, I don't think the the 'full' warning light did, since this is controlled by said reed switch. Just replace the board and the components I suggested as necessary.

Oh, and search disc magnets on ebay- should find the right size there

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
chrisn7 Many thanks for the clarification .You are right the full light does not work. This I am not worried about but being able to flush I am ..I have already changed a complete board to no avail still no light but I now know to go searching in the cassette housing.Just to clarify the push button swith on the flush is my problem I think I may have called the reed switch the wrong thing my problem is the Ill call it a micro switch that does not work . I gave this a squirt 3 years ago and its been fine since so I shall start there and work my way around to the reed switch in the cassette housing . Sorry if I have confused you but Im not electrically clever ,mechanics yes. Thanks again .
Sir Roger

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
No worries! So now this might help with removal of that panel;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNAv-n8ghQ&feature=youtu.be

-and there are some nice pictures of the parts you might need here;
http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/Thetford_Cassette_C250_Toilet_Spares.html

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The level indication led works by a magnet in the waste tank connecting with the reed switch which illuminates the led. The end user can test the reed switch by passing a magnet across it. The reed switch is a small green circuit board situated in a stem in the holding tank compartment.

If the led illuminates when a magnet is passed across it, it's likely that the float and / or magnet have become detached in the holding tank. If the led doesn't illuminate. it would indicate a problem with the reed switch or the control panel. Other points to check include to check the stem which holds the reed switch is correctly positioned and that the tank is correctly positioned when in situ.

I hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts