Things for a fully serviced pitch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My wife is trying to convince me that we should consider fully serviced pitches. I don't have a problem getting and emptying the water but she's not exactly conservative with the water use and she's trying to be kind to me.

I have some insight into what we'd need but there are different options.

For incoming water I've seen both a direct connection from tap to van by Whale or via the Aquaroll and a float valve. What do you think?

Also what's a reasonable length for the water supply pipe?

On the waste front I'm not that keen on the corrugated waste pipes... they collect gunk and also can sag and won't drain well. I'm considering some rigid pipe following some suggestions I saw on the Caravan Chronicles.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Reactions: Paullus1959
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I bought a generic kit for about £20 to connect to the aquaroll with rigid food grade hose. Usual length seems to be 7.5mtr - or you can buy lay-flat hose if you prefer. I did mark the top of the fitment with a permanent marker pen so it was easy to have the float pointing in the right direction once installed. Always proved reliable and found to be longer than needed on every pitch I've used it with!
I have a couple of different lengths of the standard corrugated with the usual 'Y' fitting at the outlets - I think 5 mtr and 2 mtr - used depending on where the waste drain is on the pitch. Never had a problem once rinsed using the last half aquaroll to rinse out before disconnecting. Never tried a rigid pipe set-up!
I also bought a couple of circular zipped 'mains cable storage bags' (7.49 each) so the coiled hose with all it's bits and bobs stores in one, and the waste pipe in the other - all neat and tidy in the front locker!
Still a lot of sites have no FSP facility though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many years ago I did some research into the performance and reliability of caravan water pumps. We also characterised the performance of of a couple of water pressure reducers similar to those used in direct connection systems.

We found that the pressure reducers were pretty good at controlling the maximum pressure they allowed downstream, but they couldn't compete on maximum flow compared to the submersible pumps.

That was a pattern that several caravanners have also reported in use.

A second effect was comments that appear to suggest that not all caravan sites can supply full mains pressure to all site taps and the pressure and flow can be affected when other site taps are used.

I am also aware of a few reports of where the inline regulators have failed in use, and over pressurised the caravans water system, causing damage to water heaters, and other fittings leading to floods.

Also to be fair there are plenty of caravanners who have not suffered any of these issues, but erring on the side of safety, and deliberately avoiding the possibility of a water leak inside the caravan I personally do not advise the use of inline pressure reducer systems.

The safer system in my view is the to stick with the submersible pump, but to use a water container (eg Aquaroll or similar) with a float valve to fill it from the mains.

This retains:-
  • The advantage of mains water supply.
  • The performance advantage of the submersible pump.
It removes the caravan
  • from th variability of mains supply pressure due to site infrastructure
  • from the possibility of excess pressure caused by the failure of the pressure reducer.
  • from the danger of the float valve failing and over filling the external water carrier.
THere is another option for caravans with internal tanks. If the float valve is fitted to the internal tank, and normal domestic plumbing components used to provide a mains inlet to the water tank.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have being using direct mains water for a number of years however since 2011 we have always had an onboard tank. We did try using the aquaroll float thingy, but too much of a hassle.

Regarding the waste pipes we have pegs that hold the pipe up for it to drain properly. We have never had an issue with the pipes going smelly.

Now no need to carry aquarolls or waste master which is a big bonus. (y) :D

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Regarding fresh water. I always used the float method. My thinking was, if somthing goes wrong, it only floods outside. Also, the barrel is still there if mains is not available.

For waste. I could not be bothered trying to create trip hazards and getting convoluted or riged pipes to flow to a fall. Life is too short imho.

Instead I use the method outlined in this thread.

You will see, many do not believe it could work. But work it does. Dead easy to set up.

My only problem was disguising the bucket I had chosen.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whether using the float system or direct mains, if a pipe comes loose inside the caravan it will still flood. In the past 12 years we have only had this happen once on a brand new caravan that was only 3 weeks old. Luckily we were inside the caravan when this happened. The pipe onto the filter had not been pushed in firmly when it was being manufactured. .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We prefer not to drink water from the Aquaroll or caravan piping even though it is food-grade pipe.
We have a brass* Hozelock-type double adapter so that the Aquaroll can stay on the tap all the time and the second outlet can be used to the kettle or water jug. It can also be used to fill the watering can to top up the toilet cistern if you don't have a grey water tap - provided you avoid contact of course.
*Plastic adapters should not be used as there is suspicion that the colouring in the plastic may have carcinogenic properties.

The advantage of using the Aquaroll as a staging point is that if the valve should stick open all that will happen is the Aquaroll fill up and overflow, whereas with a direct connection the caravan could flood instead!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My wife is trying to convince me that we should consider fully serviced pitches. I don't have a problem getting and emptying the water but she's not exactly conservative with the water use and she's trying to be kind to me.

SWMBO and I 99% of the time use our own onboard stuff. We Thus prefer FSPs

For incoming water I've seen both a direct connection from tap to van by Whale or via the Aquaroll and a float valve. What do you think?
I have both but only use the indirect system. Aquaroll with float adaptor . As described by others much better and imo safer on the caravan plumbing.. Whilst we have an on board tank we don’t use it. The onboard pump is man enough to give good pressure direct from the aquaroll
Usually 7.5 metres is enough. But there is one site we uses that needs nearly 14 mtrs. Hence I carry two pipe lengths.

On the waste front I'm not that keen on the corrugated waste pipes... they collect gunk and also can sag and won't drain well. I'm considering some rigid pipe following some suggestions I saw on the Caravan Chronicles.

No such thing as a standard fit all length of pipe. The corrugated flexi pipe works well , can be cut and joined easily. I use Colapz pegs to secure the fall on the pipe. I do carry some solid pipe but this year the flexi is more than adequate. Before leaving site run a sink full of bleach or similar through the waste. No smells but we do leave soaking in bleach solution when home.. I made my own twin into on waste outlet , you can buy them as well.
Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
we use a Colapz fresh mini instead of an Aquaroll.

it is a bit fiddly but it does save a lot of space.

We did have a direct feed previously and used it successfully for a long time, although it did reduce water pressure quite a bit. This was until we had our last awful build quality van, when water came in. I don’t think that this was because of the pressure of the direct feed but was more about a leak on the water inlet as it only happened if the van was slightly not level with the near side down. The problem of course is that we couldn’t just turn the pump off and back on again so that the problem was liveable whilst we were away. That van has gone.
mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies...... different strokes for different folks.

I had/have concerns about the direct fill in terms of potential problems regarding over or under pressure. Anything to do with a caravan worries me in terms of reliability and keep it simple seems the best way forward.

One selling point of direct feed seems to be the possibility of not needing the aquaroll. However if you did without one then you'd always need to be on an FSP, which if your touring and making it up as you go along may not always be possible.

So if you need an Aquaroll for just in case situations then why not go for the simpler and cheaper option of the float system.

On the the waste side rigid pipe seems attractive to me from a flow point of view but perhaps a little over the top and if you forgive the pun not as flexible as the usual waste pipe. The support pegs seem like a good idea but not cheap and I might try making some wooden supports...I've got lots of odds n ends.

Cleaning is not such a big deal as I always flush out the caravan pipes when we get home. Just a bit more to do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Aquaroll and float for us after we had a direct feed block and not allow any water through, splitter on the tap, and 2x7.5 blue round hoses . For drainage I have several assorted lengths of rigid white pipe, and angles and use the velcro straps to hold them in place, all works well for us.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
I use an alternative for the water connection - the barrel is set up normally with a submersible pump and I just use a 15m hose from the tap to the top of the barrel once/day - it's so little effort to turn the tap on, wait a few minutes and then turn it off.

I tried using the direct connection, which was standard with my caravan, but the pressure reducing valve gives a lower pressure than the submersible pump.

For the waste pipe I use smooth bore pond hose - slightly heavier than conventional caravan hose but allows a better flow rate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simple is usually better as in RogerL's comment, bif you have to go out and refill the water container everyday, it somewhat defeats the object of going for a full serviced pitch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am another advocate for the float in the Aquaroll, once you have a decent float, the number of times I have had problems with that float is terrible.
I have the heavy Aquaroll hose, but after a few FSP, where the pitch had been sharing a two pipe point and needing another slightly longer hose I carry a roll up flat type, 10 meter hose. This is fine but due to the slightly thinner wall of the hose the end connectors don't grip quite so well. So buying better quality connectors have sorted that problem.
The only problem is in winter having the hose pipe laying out at times it can freeze, but I have only had that happen once.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Another +1 for the Aquaroll float.
Whenever possible I choose a FSP and it's very convenient for us because dragging a full Aquaroll from a tap to the caravan almost every day isn't feasible for me.
I have a 10 metre hose with female connectors, plus a 20 metre hose on a drum with a male and female connector for when thr tap on our pitch is on the opposite side to the Aquaroll.
I have a couple of connectable lengths of corrugated waste hose, a quick swill through at packing up time ensures that there are no residual odours when the hose is coiled in the front locker.
We never drink anything from the caravan water system, a brass two way splitter means that the Aquaroll stays connected and we can fill water containers from the other half.
The float system is relatively trouble free.
Now and again the Aquaroll hose will blow free from.the connector if I've forgotten to check it, but that's about it Sam.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The advantage of using the Aquaroll as a staging point is that if the valve should stick open all that will happen is the Aquaroll fill up and overflow, whereas with a direct connection the caravan could flood instead!
I think the above statement may be incorrect? If a pipe comes loose in the caravan no matter what system you have the caravan will flood. On direct mains even if the regulator failed providing the water pressure is not overly high, it should not force the pipes in the caravan to come apart.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think the above statement may be incorrect? If a pipe comes loose in the caravan no matter what system you have the caravan will flood. On direct mains even if the regulator failed providing the water pressure is not overly high, it should not force the pipes in the caravan to come apart.
I see it differently. Woodentop is correct. The water can only enter the caravan if a tap is turned on. The chance of a caravan pipe failing is minimal compared to mains pressure constantly stressing the pipes. I accept my pipes do hold a small pressure but no where near mains. When the aqua roll float fails the water overflows , not into the caravan

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sam, the pictures below are of my setup on the full service pitch I’m currently on in Harford Bridge, Devon and show some of the solutions mentioned by others.
For waste I use a combination of Colapz flexi-pipes coupled with 32mm rigid waste pipe cut into four 100cm & and two 50cm lengths. The Colapz pipes fit snugly into the 32mm pipe couplers. The pipework is supported by Velcro straps with Kedar strip which slide into the draught-skirt rail.
For fresh water I carry two hoses, a 10m and a 15m one. If I need a longer hose I couple the hoses together. At the front you can just make out my Colapz Fresh Water Mini which is significantly smaller than a Aquaroll. It has the float valve fitted in the lid and I fitted an angled inlet to reduce its overall height with the hose attached so, it fits nicely under the caravan out of the rain and Sun. I have the Whale submersible pump which is totally flexible unlike the Truma version. The contraption with the brass Y connector allows me to get fresh water without having to disconnect the main hose from the tap. This is my preferred setup now but I do have the Whale direct connection for use if the Whale pump should fail.
Clearly, your system for waste is simple and effective. This started me thinking about why I preferred my system in #5. The answer is, my system fits wherever the pitch drain is located, (or ditch).

It might be that serviced pitches have progressed to all have the pitch drain at the off-side rear of the van. But that has not been my experience.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had our caravan we had the Aquaroll float system and a tap splitter for a full service pitch with me been disabled it was the easier option for us but for you (Sam) you have to pick your choice and good luck

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clearly, your system for waste is simple and effective. This started me thinking about why I preferred my system in #5. The answer is, my system fits wherever the pitch drain is located, (or ditch).

It might be that serviced pitches have progressed to all have the pitch drain at the off-side rear of the van. But that has not been my experience.

John
John, how large is the holding tank/bucket? I remember reading your earlier thread and was tempted but in truth I have managed ok for years.
However most new build homes are now designed with bunding holding tanks.Not dissimilar to your caravan system👍Method in the madness 🤪🤪

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John, how large is the holding tank/bucket? I remember reading your earlier thread and was tempted but in truth I have managed ok for years.
However most new build homes are now designed with bunding holding tanks.Not dissimilar to your caravan system👍Method in the madness 🤪🤪
My bucket is just an old container. My big problem is I couldn't find a method of decorating it to cover the bright yellow original. Any bucket will do, but if it has a flat side it is much easier to fit the connector. For size, it just needs to fit under the drain exits. It is the head, not the volume that makes it work.

It is not my idea. Someone on another forum was selling them in neutral colours. But I cannot find them now.

I used one of these to connect the convoluted pipe.

John

Reactions: Dustydog

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I use an alternative for the water connection - the barrel is set up normally with a submersible pump and I just use a 15m hose from the tap to the top of the barrel once/day - it's so little effort to turn the tap on, wait a few minutes and then turn it off.

I tried using the direct connection, which was standard with my caravan, but the pressure reducing valve gives a lower pressure than the submersible pump.

For the waste pipe I use smooth bore pond hose - slightly heavier than conventional caravan hose but allows a better flow rate.
How do you connect the pond hose to the caravan waste outlets?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts