This demonstrates why campsites want to meter electricity

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In many hospitality settings including hotels, it quite common for the host to open a tab on a debit or credit card. The same process could be used by camp sites with automatic charging for electricity used.
Although it would be a good idea the cost of installing such a system to monitor each and every meter on a site that could do reads automatically would probably be very expensive. It would also need to know when the customer is leaving the site permanently.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looking at Mr Plodd op he used 23kwh in less than a day. Last week on Exmoor has been very cold and wet .
I fully understand people are against payg or cash / card meters . But it has refocused me to just how much the site has to pay for electricity. It’s not free at point of usage unless inclusive in the price. A bit more research and it is clear “all inclusive “ is no longer the norm.

Is it time to abandon the ehu and use my gas for everything 😜🤣

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Looking at Mr Plodd op he used 23kwh in less than a day. Last week on Exmoor has been very cold and wet .
I fully understand people are against payg or cash / card meters . But it has refocused me to just how much the site has to pay for electricity. It’s not free at point of usage unless inclusive in the price. A bit more research and it is clear “all inclusive “ is no longer the norm.

Is it time to abandon the ehu and use my gas for everything 😜🤣
I'd imagine that the cost per kwh of electric is much cheaper than the cost of bottled LPG - maybe nearer parity if a refillable cylinder is used but then there's the cost of such a cylinder in the first place.

We all have to pay metered charges for electricity at home - we save on those charges when we're away so there's nothing illogical about paying metered charges on site.

As a non-scientific survey, I do get a feeling that some sites are introducing metered electric as an add-on charge without any reduction in the basic pitch fee

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I'd imagine that the cost per kwh of electric is much cheaper than the cost of bottled LPG
I did some researching on this when the topic came up once before. I was surprised to find (at the time) only 6kg Calor bottles worked out more expensive per kWh than electric. The bigger the bottle the greater the saving *but* this didn't take into account the difference in efficiency between gas and electric.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I did some researching on this when the topic came up once before. I was surprised to find (at the time) only 6kg Calor bottles worked out more expensive per kWh than electric. The bigger the bottle the greater the saving *but* this didn't take into account the difference in efficiency between gas and electric.
If 6kg was more expensive than electric then surely a 3.9kg "dumpy" would have been even more per kg or per kwh.

I seem to recall that the efficiency of non-condensing domestic gas boilers was around 80% - but whether this would be the same for caravan appliances I don't know.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
If 6kg was more expensive than electric then surely a 3.9kg "dumpy" would have been even more per kg or per kwh.
I would assume so but I think it was around the time calor withdrew them so prices weren't listed. To be honest I didn't look too hard for them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the price of gas and electricity so variable in the context of caravanning the breakeven point will vary quite a lot, but I think in most cases the smaller the gas cylinder the more expensive the content is per kWh and is more likely to be be more expensive than EHU power.

Whilst unit pricing may be a concern for some, there are other factors that might swing the decision about whether to use gas or not. Families may need more heating especially with young children so the limitations of electric only might need to be supplemented with gas, but on the other hand the convenience of an EHU and not having to bother with buying and changing cylinders and the weight penalty they bring could mean EHU only swings the decision. Are replacement cylinder available in the area, with the difficulties Calor and their customers have been reporting, there could be supply problems to consider.

There is no universal right or wrong, it's about what compromises you're prepared to put up with.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a non-scientific survey, I do get a feeling that some sites are introducing metered electric as an add-on charge without any reduction in the basic pitch fee
The site owner needs to recoup the outlay for installing the meters, having them checked regularly and maintaining them. Just to add a site that we visit on occasion introduced metering, but has since dropped it as too much hassle. Their 2023 charge for a fully serviced pitch was £26 a night incl EHU. In high season it went up to £30 a night.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is that alongside the price rises in electricity the sheer waste by some people trying to heat awnings and leaving things running when out has pushed up usage, making the site owners becoming more and more concerned with their costs. This has means paying for the electricity you use has helped them control costs and it is basically fair to pay for what you use, rather than subsidise the wasters. I do hope that leaving the pitch charge the same has not taken place, but I suspect a few sites will have

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a question for seasonal pitch users, does your seasonal fees cover electricity or do you have metered electricity, and how do you pay, ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a question for seasonal pitch users, does your seasonal fees cover electricity or do you have metered electricity, and how do you pay, ?
CAMC is tempting with some as low as £5.00 per night inclusive of 16 amp EHU👍👍👍

From £5 per night, price includes:

choose your pitch icon

Choose your grass or hardstanding pitch‡
orange-tick.gif

Stay up to 28 days at your preferred campsite†
orange-tick.gif

Electricity, water, Wi-Fi, awnings and showers included††
orange-tick.gif

Price includes two adults and two children

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CAMC is tempting with some as low as £5.00 per night inclusive of 16 amp EHU👍👍👍

From £5 per night, price includes:

choose your pitch icon

Choose your grass or hardstanding pitch‡
orange-tick.gif

Stay up to 28 days at your preferred campsite†
orange-tick.gif

Electricity, water, Wi-Fi, awnings and showers included††
orange-tick.gif

Price includes two adults and two children
What do the two crosses indicate next to electricity water. WiFi etc. Ant Terms and Conditions apply.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Best I can do

*Based on an indicative price per night when booking a seasonal pitch at Balbirnie Park Club Campsite from 18 August to 4 November 2024.

**From 12pm midday, four days prior to the start date of the seasonal pitch hire period, you can call the site directly and select your preferred pitch number. We will let you know the pitch numbers reserved for seasonal bookings. Please note that we will not be accepting pitch reservations if left on an answer phone message.

^ Seasonal pitch numbers are subject to availability and change.

† Except for Edinburgh, Exebridge, Melrose & Ramslade Club Campsites where you can only stay a maximum of 21 days.

†† At all UK Club campsites: Under 5’s and dogs stay FREE. Awnings are included at no extra cost when staying on an appropriate pitch type. FREE electric hook-up when staying on an appropriate pitch type (excludes Wyatts Covert Club Campsite and Non-electric Economy pitches). Hot showers are FREE on appropriate campsites with shower facilities. FREE Wi-Fi service available at 146 UK Club campsites.

‡ Only available at selected sites

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts