Those were the days with Mum and Dad

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We traveled from Liverpool to Looe around 1959 and needed an overnight stop at Axminster, there and back. Some would do Cornwall in one day and others looked on them in awe.

We did manage Cartmel by coach one year prior, dad followed on his scooter in case we needed transport when there. I am the little one. I don’t remember my even bigger brother, or my two sisters going there. I have memories of sailing in Morcombe bay in an inflatable with dad swimming ahead and towing us with the rope between his teeth.

JohnIMG_0457.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven’t a photo but my Mum and Dad always holidayed in June as accommodation was cheaper and places less busy. So my brother and I skipped two weeks of school each year. In June 1963 they booked their holiday in Ilfracombe, but as it coincided with part of my GCE O level exams I was only booked in for the second week. So I was left to fend for myself for the last week of my exams. After finishing the exams I bought a coach ticket on an overnight journey to Ilfracombe. Caught the Black and White coach from Leicester to Cheltenham and then transferred to a Yellow Ways overnight coach to Ilfracombe. The outbound journey was so much more comfortable and peaceful compared to the return journey with little bruv being a pain.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I haven’t a photo but my Mum and Dad always holidayed in June as accommodation was cheaper and places less busy. So my brother and I skipped two weeks of school each year. In June 1963 they booked their holiday in Ilfracombe, but as it coincided with part of my GCE O level exams I was only booked in for the second week. So I was left to fend for myself for the last week of my exams. After finishing the exams I bought a coach ticket on an overnight journey to Ilfracombe. Caught the Black and White coach from Leicester to Cheltenham and then transferred to a Yellow Ways overnight coach to Ilfracombe. The outbound journey was so much more comfortable and peaceful compared to the return journey with little bruv being a pain.
I read somewhere that Cheltenham was the major coach interchange point pre motorways.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that Cheltenham was the major coach interchange point pre motorways.

John
Yes it was very large as an interchange hub with coaches from all over the country coming and going and passengers looking for their onward coach. Even at night I recall it as very busy too. But once on your coach it was easy to just relax. But boy were they slow. The Yelloways to Ilfracombe seemed to crawl along and struggled with the Somerset and Devon roads.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes it was very large as an interchange hub with coaches from all over the country coming and going and passengers looking for their onward coach. Even at night I recall it as very busy too. But once on your coach it was easy to just relax. But boy were they slow. The Yelloways to Ilfracombe seemed to crawl along and struggled with the Somerset and Devon roads.
Sounds like my dad driving a Ford 100e.

John

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts