Tilt van during storage

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I have been storing my caravan on my drive and applying a fairly acute angle with the rear being very low to facilitate the run off the back of surplus rainwater. Does anyone else do this? More importantly is it a good thing to be doing, as I do not want to inadvertently cause any issues in other areas.

Pete

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
In theory you shouldn't need to apply any angle to it, but it's good practice to have some. However it doesn't need to be very much at all, think of how much downward angle there is on the guttering on your house, and that drains perfectly well.,
An acute angle certainly isn't go to cause any problems or issues so if you are happy with doing that crack on!,
Just remember that should you want to use it your fridge might object to being a fair way off level.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will only add that you should ensure that you have fully drained all the frost sensitive liquids fully before applying the tilt, but apart from that and the previous comments I can't think of any problems that should arise,

Reactions: Pamplona and GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I will only add that you should ensure that you have fully drained all the frost sensitive liquids fully before applying the tilt, but apart from that and the previous comments I can't think of any problems that should arise,
I always remove the shower head, set the tap to cold first then hot and blow down the pipe. It’s surprising how much trapped water you can expel from the pipes this way.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Always store in a tilt. Main reason is roof is not perfectly flat causing pooling which can lay on the seams , a source for leaks! Best help the drainage .

Reactions: Pamplona
Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, clearly, I was thinking along the right lines, I did not like seeing the water pooling on the roof.
And I have completely drained down using floe drainage kit which I have to say is excellent.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
It may be worth organising a cross-ways tilt rather than a front to back tilt - most modern caravans have "roof straps" to seal the front/rear mouldings where they end on the roof - these can leak and tilting water towards them does them no favours.
Unfortunately some (like ours) have a raised area around the sides as well so no matter which way you tilt it, some pooling is inevitable. I took this photo just now. I suppose this is where a cover would be a big help.
IMG_7363.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m going to install this in the middle of the roof and run the waste pipe straight down and through the caravan floor, instant drainage when parked flat! I could also learn pole dancing on the waste pipe as it’ll be right in the middle of the bathroom! 😂
View attachment 5808
No, you need to be patient and given a while longer the rain will find its own way down, probably via the roof strap and behind the wall boarding.:eek:

Reactions: GaryB
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
ours is nose down because of the drive slope, having said that, at the moment it is very nose up so that I can get underneath to repair the movers.
getting too old for this:)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We leave ours tilted, it is nose down at the moment but has been nose up other years. I doubt it makes any difference as either seems to work.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I’m going to install this in the middle of the roof and run the waste pipe straight down and through the caravan floor, instant drainage when parked flat! I could also learn pole dancing on the waste pipe as it’ll be right in the middle of the bathroom! 😂
View attachment 5808

Even that needs setting down into an adequately deep dishing formed in the roof, i would not bother.

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
For what it is worth I have also got raised sides :(, and the cross strap equals a shorter distance therefore less pooling so the front-to-back tilt is my better option I think.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately some (like ours) have a raised area around the sides as well so no matter which way you tilt it, some pooling is inevitable. I took this photo just now. I suppose this is where a cover would be a big help.
View attachment 5807
I would be seriously thinking about getting that roof resealed.
My Coachman was totally resealed by Coachman when it went back for a rear panel at 3 years old. Although everything looks good now at 10 years. I have been thinking for many year to cover all seals with roof lock tape.
Rooflock

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The seals are fine, yes they look awful and here’s why. The mouldings used by Swift are cosmetic, they cover (hide?) the actual mastic water seal beneath, they are plastic and are manufactured with a protective clear film on top that SHOULD be peeled off when fitted and BEFORE the edges are cosmetically sealed with sealant. But the protective film was left in place and is now starting to peel away itself thus looking awful. Still 100% water tight but visually challenged.

The caravan goes back to Swift on 4th December for a new side and I have been promised that all seals will be tidied on the roof and that the blobs and smears of sealant on it left by a clumsy worker will be sorted.

We’ll see……

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The seals are fine, yes they look awful and here’s why. The mouldings used by Swift are cosmetic, they cover (hide?) the actual mastic water seal beneath, they are plastic and are manufactured with a protective clear film on top that SHOULD be peeled off when fitted and BEFORE the edges are cosmetically sealed with sealant. But the protective film was left in place and is now starting to peel away itself thus looking awful. Still 100% water tight but visually challenged.

The caravan goes back to Swift on 4th December for a new side and I have been promised that all seals will be tidied on the roof and that the blobs and smears of sealant on it left by a clumsy worker will be sorted.

We’ll see……
Hopefully all will be well, but a cosmetic strap should be, properly sealed. That picture you show is not sealed properly and will be the start of a water leak.
Hopefully your dealer will sort it out.

Sep 12, 2022
Visit site
I have been storing my caravan on my drive and applying a fairly acute angle with the rear being very low to facilitate the run off the back of surplus rainwater. Does anyone else do this? More importantly is it a good thing to be doing, as I do not want to inadvertently cause any issues in other areas.

Pete
My van's natural stance in storage is front down and to the nearside due to the uneven ground. I decided to check under the tray in the front locker on the nearside to find a damp patch in the floor spreading out from the nearside corner. (Offside is bone dry). I have had the bumper off and re-sealed all the joints etc. I have also tilted it back now so it is sat on it's a***e. Hoping this will make a difference as water really was cascading down that front corner and it will find it's way through the tiniest pinhole. If all else fails I will have to throw a cover on it. I personally think tilting back is best as the rear is more vertical which should allow for the water to run off quicker - in theory?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts