To book or not to book??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Come on Clive my boy. There are 54 caravan sites in the Castleton area. Surely one of them will have something?
For the last few years we have found CLs and CSs the best bet and the best places to be!
We love the CAMC Buxton but I expect that is taken. Makes you wonder how many of the reservations actually turn up🤬🤬🤬
Hi Dusty we been to buxton site a few times and great for bird watching we had some very happy times .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beachball,
The walks from the site to nearby GrinLow Wood and Solomon’s Temple make a great start to the day. Our two Springers loved it!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty my wife use to explore around those areas with our two dogs i use to meet up with my brother John he still lives in Macclesfield we use go fishing together for a few hours .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was trying CMHC as they don’t take a deposit and prior to July this year our track record over the previous two years wasn’t too great in getting away. But I’m now looking further north to a CL with a good reputation.
Hi Clive i would keep looking there bound to be some CLs available around Castleton and further north and keep us updated .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive i would keep looking there bound to be some CLs available around Castleton and further north and keep us updated .

I think that the CMHC website isn't working too well. I have removed al files such that I dont mind a sloping, grass, muddy, non electric, dogs welcome, no wC no shower etc miles from a pub but near to Castleton Derbyshire not Yorks. I comes up with zilch. Time either to get the old hardbound book out, or change from Safari/Bing to Chrome.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present i am on Chrome with my laptop just a suggestion look on Uk campsite and Pitchup you never know there might be something available . Good hunting

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At present i am on Chrome with my laptop just a suggestion look on Uk campsite and Pitchup you never know there might be something available . Good hunting
I have spoken to the CMHC as having something like 76 sites appear with no filtering available is a bit tedious. They have already sorted it and its much better now as the filters work.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well I have now booked two weeks in May on the North York Moors on a CL, with good facilities including tea rooms outside that does ADB, and a pub within 200yds. Even Cls are now making Canvas Holidays look a bargain! But this one has very good reviews and it is well sited for exploring the area and coast. Also booked 3 night stays at CMHC sites in Brecon and Wareham for March and early July. Been a bit naughty though having taken out the weekends for others.:eek: All sites booked meet the essential criteria of a pub within walking distance.

I was going to book Bracelands Camping in the Forest which we have visited many times, but they wanted payment in full. Dream on.

After looking at so many Cls some of which are really nice, having a self contained shower could be an advantage. Ours works fine as a shower but being within the combined bathroom it does require quite bit of care with the hosing down antics.

Oh and yes I do know that there are two Castletons so no mix up there!!!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have never managed to book into Castleton, but went there for a day out and when I checked with the wardens they stated that quite often on a Friday morning they get about 5 cancelations. And to give them a call. Just thought sod it, not going to go.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never managed to book into Castleton, but went there for a day out and when I checked with the wardens they stated that quite often on a Friday morning they get about 5 cancelations. And to give them a call. Just thought sod it, not going to go.
I’d agree with Hutch you can only do that sort of thing on an impulse and if you live locally too.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve noticed the comments regarding sites being booked and unusually for us we’ve just booked 3 long weekend breaks for Moreton in Marsh, Rutland and Tudor caravan park near slimbridge, 2 are sites previously been to so fingers crossed for weather and covid restrictions, we usually book at the last minute when we’ve an idea of what to expect with the weather but decided to accept people’s thoughts re being booked up.

BP

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Moreton in Marsh is very nice, but when we went in Sept it was starting to look a bit ragged. Very over grown and unkempt around the chalets. However you may have better luck than us when you visit next year.
Been to Tudor which is very nice but there are tow better sites or rather CLs in the same area that has pitches with water and waste water hookups. One is Passage Farm at Arlingham and the other is Moorend Farm which is on the way to Slimbridge. Best place to go shopping is Dursley as butcher in Dursley has excellent meat (read steaks) at very competitive prices.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have been to Castleton CAMC some years ago it only a short walk into the village if i remember my wife took the dogs up Mam Tor i think we are due for a return visit .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have book 3 nights on caravan and motorhome club in warwickshire in september 2021 it breaking the journey up on the way back from Torquay .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
North Norfolk for end June early July.
Scotland a defo but not sure when.
France? No . They may not let me back into the U.K.😇😇

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
North Norfolk for end June early July.
Scotland a defo but not sure when.
France? No . They may not let me back into the U.K.😇😇
Covid is difficult to predict but the dogs will be 14 years and with our daughter full time, I’d be reluctant to put them into kennels (dogs that is) But one day we do hope to resume travelling to Europe by car, even if we don’t haul the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We hope to be going to South Wales in june it our first time so hoping to do some sight seeing
Where are you going in South Wales. It’s a beautiful area with lots of interesting places to visit. I spent four very happy years years in Cardiff and our son lives in a picturesque rural valley north of Bridgend.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Where are you going in South Wales. It’s a beautiful area with lots of interesting places to visit. I spent four very happy years years in Cardiff and our son lives in a picturesque rural valley north of Bridgend.
My wife was born on the river Taff so a genuine Taffy. We lived in Cardiff for 18 months in 1993/94 after returning to the UK and both of us hated it except for the rugby! Could not leave quick enough.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife was born on the river Taff so a genuine Taffy. We lived in Cardiff for 18 months in 1993/94 after returning to the UK and both of us hated it except for the rugby! Could not leave quick enough.

Lived on Blaenclydach Terrace right on the edge of the Taff in Grangetown and just down from the Brains Brewery Pure heaven for us. Although when we announced that we were going to South Wales my parents expressed their commiserations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts