To book or not to book??

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Buckman
It all depends when you travel on the m6, almost all our journeys involve the dreaded m6, and to be honest if we travel friday afternoon give me traveling north everytime, traveling south of warrington is a nightmare, we tend to go saturday morning if going south and the toll road is a god send.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I travelled the M6 to junction 36 very frequently for 10 years so much so that for 3 years we decided to live in Cumbria and if I had to go south I would fly. As said earlier things get better north of Preston.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the end of the day clive its like any journey its what time and day you travel ! But the m6 toll road was'nt built for nothing.
I tended to just use the M5/6 when solo but the toll road when towing if the traffic reports looked iffy. The CMHC got us the discount on the toll costs which was nice to have.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree bit miffed when they stopped the discount, it was very handy when we were traveling to the cotswolds or cambridgeshire, took a bit of time of the journey especially on saturday

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had the seasonal van we use travel on M6 Toll and i would say it was a god send because in 4 years we use to a have Extemption pass . but not now .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would also say if you hit M6 on a friday afternoon after my wife finish work it can be a nighmare we was in queue to our turnoff .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty D, make sure your passport is still valid, for Scotland, and with your luck the place will be in semi lock down with the pubs closed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We’ve pushed the boat out starting in about 3 weeks, having been shielded and all the COVID restrictions we decided that this is going to be us getting away as much as we can, I’ve got a long weekend booked in December then again for new years eve and then early February for another long weekend, I retire June so we’ve also booked 3 weeks in Mablethorpe to get retirement of to a good start, I’m going to start making a list of places we want to visit on the east coast, must be loads that will be good to see, we all deserve to get as much use of our caravans as we can.

BP
Hi Beehpee i hope you have nice retirement and enjoy using your caravan .for the places you want to visit .

Reactions: Beehpee
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very unhappy. Thanks to uncertain lockdown and Tier ratings have now postponed next months visit to Yorkshire. Hopefully the CL will give me a credit for early next year.
On that note there are still hardly any weekends at Chatsworth available. Same old story for 30 plus years🤬😥😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very unhappy. Thanks to uncertain lockdown and Tier ratings have now postponed next months visit to Yorkshire. Hopefully the CL will give me a credit for early next year.
On that note there are still hardly any weekends at Chatsworth available. Same old story for 30 plus years🤬😥😥
Dusty
I cannot believe that you are such an optimist regarding Chatsworth by even looking at the booking availability 😂 I “wrote off “ the Peak District with CMHC for next May. I used to visit at weekends in my cycling and motorcycling days and I guess it’s more busy these days. But still a nice area notwithstanding.

Instead it’s the North York Moors on a CL in the heart of a moorland village with a cafe and pub literally just outside, and not far from divine F&C in Whitby. Subject to being free to travel in May 2021.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty why don"t you book Buxton caravan club site i have look online and there is availabilty

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive and Beachball, Tongue in cheek I mention Chatsworth. Hand on heart I am proud to say I have never stayed there🤪🤪. Never any vacancies.
Buxton , yes. Been many times . The dogs loved Grin Low and the walk up to Solomons Temple Folly.
Plenty of good CLs further up in North Yorkshire.
Let‘s hope lockdown finishes permanently soon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I have now booked two weeks in May on the North York Moors on a CL, with good facilities including tea rooms outside that does ADB, and a pub within 200yds. Even Cls are now making Canvas Holidays look a bargain! But this one has very good reviews and it is well sited for exploring the area and coast. Also booked 3 night stays at CMHC sites in Brecon and Wareham for March and early July. Been a bit naughty though having taken out the weekends for others.:eek: All sites booked meet the essential criteria of a pub within walking distance.

I was going to book Bracelands Camping in the Forest which we have visited many times, but they wanted payment in full. Dream on.

After looking at so many Cls some of which are really nice, having a self contained shower could be an advantage. Ours works fine as a shower but being within the combined bathroom it does require quite bit of care with the hosing down antics.

Oh and yes I do know that there are two Castletons so no mix up there!!!
Hi Clive the place you are stopping in the North York Moors on a CL has it got a good dog walk it looks very tempting .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive the place you are stopping in the North York Moors on a CL has it got a good dog walk it looks very tempting .
Beachball
Your one man crusade to keep the UK caravan sites viable is commendable😂
It is Hutton Le Hole which has a main site ( not large) see pitch up, and a CL. It says it has a dog walk. We are booked on the CL in May. With some luck it won’t be our first trip out in 2021 as we are booked for Brecon CMHC site which has a nice village pub a short way up the nearby lane. The pub takes dogs too. So what’s not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Beachball
Your one man crusade to keep the UK caravan sites viable is commendable😂
It is Hutton Le Hole which has a main site ( not large) see pitch up, and a CL. It says it has a dog walk. We are booked on the CL in May. With some luck it won’t be our first trip out in 2021 as we are booked for Brecon CMHC site which has a nice village pub a short way up the nearby lane. The pub takes dogs too. So what’s not to like?
Hi Clive just hoping the caravan is mended this year and we have good season and thanks for name of the site. and the reviews look excellent i hope you have great time in May 2021

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We have 14 nights booked for next Sept at Black Knowl in Brockenhurst, will be great.
Had a week away last week in Llanbedr, not in our van but had a lodge, site was very quiet and well set up for distancing, as was the local pub.
We are away to Shrewsbury on the 5th Dec for 3 nights, trying to get away when time allows and it’s safe to do so.

Kev

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have 14 nights booked for next Sept at Black Knowl in Brockenhurst, will be great.
Had a week away last week in Llanbedr, not in our van but had a lodge, site was very quiet and well set up for distancing, as was the local pub.
We are away to Shrewsbury on the 5th Dec for 3 nights, trying to get away when time allows and it’s safe to do so.

Kev
You will like the area around Brockenhurst. Lots of good places to visit.

Reactions: Kevin M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts