Toilet Chemicals

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Until two weeks ago I have always Thetford pink and blue.

The flush water cistern always grows the black algae which is easily cleaned but a pain. The blue and the green I have used have always worked ok.

I was talking to a bloke on site and he said the Thetford chemicals are made in Holland where Formaldehyde is a banned substance.

Over here he swears by Elsan blue and pink saying he never gets the black algae and the waste breaks down far more quickly. The Elsan contains formaldehyde.

Well I've bought some Elsan and wondered if I what I was told is true?

Chers

Alan

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
hi alan

Formaldehyde is a carcinogenic substance, ie. it has been proven to cause cancer, So try not to get it on your hands or inhale it, always wear gloves and store it in an exterior locker. If you are concerned about it dont use it, use the toilets onsite !

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, there is a difference between Elsan and Thetford , and yes, Elsan does contain (or did) formaldehyde, which will probably start up a debate about the evils of the stuff, but it is good.

As for the pink additive, every toilet I have been asked to sort out problems with have been using the pink, and the growth of algae is problematic.

It is much simpler to use plain ordinary water to flush the bowl, and cheaper, after all, it is very unlikely that a caravan toilet bowl will become even remotely dirty and cause a smell if it is given a wipe around with an antibacterial spray occasionally.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Alan,

I used Thetford pink flush and Thetford Blue in waste tank. I was constantly getting a black substance in the flush which made a mess of the bowl. I still use Thetford blue in the waste tank, but about 12 months ago changed to Elsan pink flush. Since changing to the Elsan pink flush i have had no problems.

Hamer

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at www.kemdirect.com from Holland or see this months Practical Caravan page 33. They tested it after collecting it from the October NEC show.

It is a complete alternative to the fluids use top and bottom and it will solve all your problems and no formaldehyde, but completely breaks down the contents of your toilet. No smell, no dye, no problems....

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys

Hamer's combination is interesting.

The black algae in my flush tank is the real bugbear , yet Elsan blue apparently breaks down all solids and paper in less than an hour.

Yes, I appreciate formaldehyde is a dangerous chemical but it does work, so I am told. I always carry latex gloves ( 100 for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have always used Thetford Blue in the waste tank. Since it changed formulation a number of years ago I haven't really been happy with the performance, so I might give Elsan Blue a try. As for the top tank I also used to suffer with black bits when using pink fluid, but for a number of years now I just use plain water, problem solved. After all the toilet at home flushes with plain water so I dont see why the caravan should be any different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts