Toilet chemicals

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, we are travelling to France in September and we have seen that some sites will only allow biodegradable chemicals to be used in toilets. We have only used Thetford blue and pink and was wondering if any one could tell us if these are ok or do we need to go and buy acceptable fluids.

Many thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave and Gill.

You must use an organic economic friendly solution.
The pink flush is usually on but not the blue.
Use Thetford green or Elsan organic or similar all available from. most caravanshops.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of chemicals for your loo as Dusty has outlined .One Chem is another Fenwicks Top and Tail.Check on the instructions on the label a good guide is if it contains Fermaldahyde dont buy it ,some Uk site will not accept The Blue chemicals but after saying that One chem is blue but is fine .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After trying many others, this year i tried Fenwicks Top and Tail and find it very good. It is 'green' , you only need one type, it has (to me) a less pungent and penetrating smell in the concentrated form, and the detergent effect seems to last longer. It also stains much less than some ot the others when - inevitably - you spill some on yourself and or the caravan. Usage seems to be no more than the sum of the two fluid method.

It's worth looking at Halfords on-line as they sometimes have it on offer, particularly for multiple buys.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Formaldehyde used to be the main chemical in toilet fluids, Thetford Blue and Elsan Fluid - but it's always had two major downsides - it stops sewage systems working and it's cancerous.

Thetford Green was introduced with no formaldehyde because many continental sites ban fluids with it - nowadays many UK sites also ban it (or need to) if their sewage is treated in any way on site.

Thetford Blue hasn't had formaldehyde in it for some time and I thought it was now banned in the EU (formaldehyde, not Thetford Blue) but I know Elsan Fluid used formaldehyde long after Thetford Blue stopped.

Nowadays it comes down to how heavily fragranced you want it - I don't pretend they're all the same but that's about the difference.

I no longer use any additive in the flush tank to avoid the build up of "gunge" build-up that seems to occur with every additive

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
For quite sometime now I have been using Blue Diamond Pink and Blue it works very well and the pink has a nice fragrance as well.I used to used Thetfords but I found with one of our vans the flush tank was chucking out black algae never used it since .Aldi have just had a load of Blue Diamond in and all stock went .Again the use of this product depends on what way they dispose of the waist on site .

Feb 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't use additives in the flush tank, don't think it's needed. When I had a Motorhome the flush water was drawn directly from the fresh water tank so not possible to add anything. I don't add anything to my cistern at home either!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use Tesco's own brand cheap Bio Laundry Washing Fluid, one cap full per charge. So 28 charges for typically £1.60.
This is an enzyme based product that very effectively breaks down solids, and is of course designed to go into sewerage systems, it actually starts the process. For some, a downside is it does not dye the contents any particular shade, but most people know what is in the tank anyway.

TRENDING THREADS