tolls and route plan

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
hi there this department seems to have been left to moi!
anyway i have done a toll and route plan with michelin and AA -is the michelin one a reliable and accurate for tolls? they have sent me (quickest and cheapest through caen) which when i looked on the map i thought was the best way. We plan a stopover in caen maybe camping le puit.
This route is on the A84 N24. Tolls costing on average 35 euros? i thought it would be more that way.
can anyone help.
calais to raguenez plage, nevez. with a stopover halfway ish.
cheers xxx

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Laura.How long are you going for? I ask because, if you have time, the non-toll roads in France are much more fun than motorways, and generally not much longer.I don't know the area you're visiting,but i do know French roads, and it's much more fun stopping for coffee in a little village cafe than it is in an Aire de Service! If you're on a short holiday, then yes, the tolls are slightly quicker. The only guide I can give you is that I got the ferry booking wrong once, and had to get from Saumur in the western Vendee to Dunkirk in a hurry, and the tolls cost around £40.I've not used toll roads since!
Have a great holiday

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
we have got 15 nights booked at raguenez plage, we sail sunday morning and have planned a stop off that night to arrive on monday afternoon. at our destination. We will have to stop twice on way home as we have a early is sail back to england.So 18 nights in france all in all!
we both feel that 40 euros is ok. Not really much more than that tho!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have done both options but I prefer the autoroutes as your speed is steady and not hampered by the ups and downs of speed limits in villages and town traffic. Last year on the route from Dunkerque to St Omer there was a speed trap on a 70kmhr junction where a minor road crossed the main road and there were quite a number of such junctions. So if we want to get to our main holiday area we tend now to opt for the autoroute where we can do 350-400 miles per day in a more relaxed manner than the departmental routes. But the departmental routes are good for seeing rural France. Euro40 is reasonable.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htmis thjeir official one I beleive but i use via michelin.the 40 euros looks about right as there are only a few pay sections and the pont de normandie ,the abbevill section is slow to do off toll ,did it once when we had to kill some time and it really worked.It is nice going on the back roads but we only get 2 weeks or so so want to get there and get set up.We go two weeks Friday and cant wait.
Bon voyage

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
brilliant thanks dave and everyone whos replyed! i think we will stick to the main roads then maybe if we feel like it we could go a different way on the way home??
Bet you cant wait dave im dead exited and its 9 weeks till we go!!! where are you going to?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Whilst extolling the virtues of back roads, I do realise that if you are time - restricted, then the toll roads make sense.But that €40 buys another tank of LPG for wandering the back roads!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Or a lot of bottles of the very cheap local Rose, down here, which surprisingly does travel back very well indeed.
Don't forget, if you have a caravan always look on the 'Options' and make sure you select 'With caravan', the correct type of car, and the fuel you want to use, - otherwise the tolls and the fuel costs, will be a great deal more than you think.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
On viamichelin there is an option for caravans. Make absolutely sure you select it. Trailers can vary in size/height/length and can therefore affect what toll you pay. Make sure you use http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ and you'll definitely see the option for caravans.

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
omg i cant believe that!! honestly that was not there before! it just said trailer............. oh well its there now
smiley-kiss.gif
thanks xx

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
soon as i key in where im going the caravan option went back to trailer! so im not going mental its definatly not there! never mind i might be able to check it against something else.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi

last May tolls from Dunkirk to Caen cost just over 35 euro with caravan. I used both viamichelin and the ASFA website (it quotes your tolls for each section, makes preparation easy,) - This year signed up for SANEF tag.

I have often used both toll and non toll roads for this journey, non toll okay if not in a hurry. Six hours easy driving would get you to Pontaubalt and Pontorson so you could consider sites in this area as well.

Ali

TRENDING THREADS