Top 100 Sites

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
Just got this months mag through with the Top 100 Sites supplement. Always my favourite issue and very good again this year. Just wish there was more written about each site, but probably being greedy. My reason for posting was my surprise that only three Scottish sites made it this year. No Bunree, North Ledaig, Gart, or Blair Castle, just four of our own favourites. Anyone else notice, bothered or surprised ?
Cheers,
Alex

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
wish they did a top dog walking sites list, we have found a lot of sites when visisted to see are no good for 2 young labs and say they are dog walks available and give you a tiny corner so a bigger write up covering these type of things would be better

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
wish they did a top dog walking sites list, we have found a lot of sites when visisted to see are no good for 2 young labs and say they are dog walks available and give you a tiny corner so a bigger write up covering these type of things would be better

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hiya - new to this, I wanted to reply to the comment Top 100 who says so?

We run a holiday park and take part in the Practical Caravan Top 100 scheme. Yes you do have to pay to advertise in the supplement but the voting is purely down to visitors - we leave voting slips in a stand for them to complete (if they wish) and send direct to Haymarket, we have no input to any comments or votes - in fact we don't know who has won or where placed until the presentation at the NEC in Birmingham. All very cloak and dagger stuff
smiley-sealed.gif

Only the highest 100 parks become finalist depending on how the votes go - we didn't make it last year, not enough votes
smiley-frown.gif

I believe there were over 11,000 votes received at the office, I pity the girl who had to put in the details on the database.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Alison Clements said:

We run a holiday park and take part in the Practical Caravan Top 100 scheme. Yes you do have to pay to advertise in the supplement but the voting is purely down to visitors - we leave voting slips in a stand for them to complete (if they wish) and send direct to Haymarket, we have no input to any comments or votes - in fact we don't know who has won or where placed until the presentation at the NEC in Birmingham. All very cloak and dagger stuff
smiley-sealed.gif

Only the highest 100 parks become finalist depending on how the votes go - we didn't make it last year, not enough votes
smiley-frown.gif

I believe there were over 11,000 votes received at the office, I pity the girl who had to put in the details on the database.
not wanting to detracted from the "practical caravan top 100 scheme" and all that, it would appear from what you have stated that basically you need to have quite a substantial amount of visitors in the first place, as you say its based on returned slips? and the actual amount.
Doesn't really bowed well for smaller sites with substantially less visitors then, as they may never get a enough votes ever,and yet your service could be second to none

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
An excellent point, and long may it remain so. The smaller quiet sites are frequented for those very reasons. Becoming 'busier' would detract from the very thing that makes them attractive in the first place.
People will be wanting swimming pools and kiddies playgrounds on sites next!!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Every site that receives votes gets a mention in the Top 100 guide even if it's just a line in the runners up section rather than a write up.
Perhaps Practical Caravan could include a separate category for small sites with less available pitches?

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Alison Clements said:

smiley-sealed.gif

smiley-frown.gif

not wanting to detracted from the "practical caravan top 100 scheme" and all that, it would appear from what you have stated that basically you need to have quite a substantial amount of visitors in the first place, as you say its based on returned slips? and the actual amount.
Doesn't really bowed well for smaller sites with substantially less visitors then, as they may never get a enough votes ever,and yet your service could be second to none

The votes are done per pitch, so the small parks have every bit of chance against the larger parks, we have 10 touring pitches and did very well this year. At the end of the day, if people think its too much bother to vote or don't want to vote, then the park accepts it - it hasn't cost anything to register.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Alison.
Have to admit i have never taken the time to fill out one of those forms, didnt see the point, but maybe there is one.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
We have stayed at large and small sites, that have appeared in the Top 100 over the years and never been disappointed. So it works for us and gives a few new ideas for places to stay.
The main reason for starting the topic was that there seem to be huge numbers of vanners and campers who stay on Scottish sites, but very few appear in the Top 100.
From that you could conclude that the standard of Scottish sites is poor. That isn't the case in my opinion.
Alex.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Alex C said:
My reason for posting was my surprise that only three Scottish sites made it this year. No Bunree, North Ledaig, Gart, or Blair Castle, just four of our own favourites. Anyone else notice, bothered or surprised ? Cheers, Alex

Looking at it from my own point of view Alex just because Bunree for example hasn't made it doesn't mean it's not a nice site. In my view it's a lovely site with great views in an area where you can get to other places for days out. Places like the train to Mallaig, ferry to Mull etc. with a good supermarket in Fort William. But, and it's a big but, it wouldn't get my vote for one simple reason, the ***** midges. If I voted it would have to encompass everything. The views, site, ambience, accessibility to services etc.
I've done the west coast of Scotland three times and I'm afraid I'm a wuss and couldn't put myself through the misery of letting them *******s feast on me again. Dalchalm CC site or the C&CC site at Rosemarkie would get my votes before Bunree even if it meant me getting my own back on those ***** midges
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Yep, totally understand about the midgees and why that might affect the number of sites, especially from the West Coast or inland Highlands.
Cheers.

Tiz

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
We have stayed on several of the Top 100 sites and always look forward to reading the latest guide. All of the sites we have used have been to a good/excellent standard. This year on one of our trips we stayed at Bron Derw in Llanrwst, Wales. We were so impressed that we filled in the form and voted for the site. When my wife was reading this year’s guide she was surprised that she had been quoted in the section on the site, this year ranked 14. This is a small site only 20 pitches, and we did not inform the owners that we were voting or our comments. So we can positively say the quotes about the sites from caravanners are genuine.
Hopefully we will make another visit, as it was a great holiday, but it will probably be next year as we seem to be fully committed this year to several holidays.
I do love this retirement lark!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Alison Clements said:
Don't forget that sites by the sea on the West Coast of Scotland tend to suffer less from the midges because of the sea breezes.

Not on the west coast sites I've visited Alison. Bunree, Morvich, Carradale Bay are all by the sea or sea lochs. Perhaps you made a typo and meant east coast. Both Dalchalm and Rosemarkie are on the east coast next to the sea with no midges
smiley-smile.gif

A pity about Carradale Bay though because that is one of the best sites we've visited. Lovely calm bay where we've spotted baby dolphins and there's a golden, sandy empty beach about one mile long next to the site. When we visited (June) the water was tepid, not a bit cold.

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
We are the opposite side to Carradale bay and don't get too much hassle from the midges - they do appear in the evening if the conditions are right, but normally only last about ½ an hour or so, it depends on how much long grass, trees and shrubs are around. If you want total peace then perhaps visit before mid June and after mid September. Many of our visitors return again and again and do not find it a problem. Must confess our stay at Bunree many years ago was rather challenging due to the little critters - in the end went to the shower blocks on our bikes, they can't fly that fast
smiley-laughing.gif

They do have one good point - whilst they are around no Theme Park will submit planning permission to set up in some lovely area - people won't want to queue for rides
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You can "midge proof" your tourer - purchase some very thin polyester material, stick on velcro (hooks only) and some sew-on velcro (no hooks) - cut material to overlap window completely, fix stick on "velcro hooks" around the window to size of material, and sew on the "smooth" velcro tape onto the material - then cover the window, you can sit with your window open and no midges will enter. You can do the same for roof lights, which allows you to sleep with vent open. I did this to our tourer many years ago and permanently fixed the material to the mesh that went over the roof light. Black material works well with a thin white tape around the window - the thinner the polyester material the better as it lets the air through, do not go for a netting of any kind. I made covers for both windows in the lounge, one for the window by the cooker and another for the door (to use when settled on a warm evening). Remove, fold up and put away when not required. Leave stick on tape in place, surprisingly you don't notice its there.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Alison Clements said:
We are the opposite side to Carradale bay

I know which site you have now Alison. In fact earlier this year I was checking out your site on Google, aerial and street view, when deciding if I could be brave enough to offer myself up to the midges. I chickened out
smiley-embarassed.gif

I also recall driving by it on the way to Campeltown and commenting what a nice spot and views. I've actually got your site in my Favourites so maybe one day we'll get there. We've got two small dogs, what is it like for walking them?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Alimac said:
If worried about midges take a free standing pedestal fan for the nice nights - they don't like the wind!

I've tried it, plus the Avon Skin So Soft plus the local midge brews. Nothing worked. When we got home the ceiling of the caravan was either black with squashed midges or red with the ones who had already bitten me. In three trips Her Ladyship hasn't had one bite but they don't go for bad meat.
I was told once they don't like the rain either. We were packing up once at Luss to move on and it was pelting down. I had on a kagool and the only part of me showing was face and hands but my hands, wrists and forehead had lots of midges stuck to them because of the wet.

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
At the risk of stealing the thread, we stay in the north west highlands on a farm at the edge of a forest and not too far from the sea, the midges here hang about the doors waiting for you to open and then pounce, both morning and night, mind you it is the females that are the worst !

On a serious note they spoil the whiole summer, you cannot sit out or have a bbq if it is a still or moist night, and yes they do love the rain and dusk! We are often asked if we get used to them, in a word no, so come the holidays it is either down south or off to the continent.

Ali

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde: Dog walking is not a problem, you have immediate access to the beach from the park and can walk them anytime, no seasonal restrictions. We only ask that you are aware of nesting wading birds from early June to mid - July and keep your pet near to the tide line during that time. There is also a nice walk around the back of the village - up the hills - dogs must be kept on a lead because of sheep in the fields.

Believe me I am not a fan of midges - we spent 6 weeks up near Ullapool before coming here and I began to wonder what we had let ourselves in for, but arrived, parked up and that evening sat outside with a glass of wine thinking thank god - its better here. We don't get the clouds of midges you get as you go further north. Been here 10 years now and they don't bother me - I'd have moved if they were anything like Wester Ross way.

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Just to let you know that you can get the Top 100 in the form of an Online Booklet now, click here
This will let you re-visit the issue even if you loose it!
Thanks,
Chris
Caravan Sitefinder Team

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts