T'other club.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Probably most of us that are members of one club will be members of the CAMC, some of course of both. But how does t'other club stack up facilites and quality wise. I have been a member in the past but only to get continental breakdown extension for my Uk breakdown (Volvo came with its own breakdown so easier to extend the cover) so I have never stayed on one of their sites.

The reason I am asking is that our favourite Cornwall site has gone adults only, and there is a Camping and Caravanning Club site very near indeed to our preferred beach. I expect the clubs willl be similar in that they are desinged on a stalag and wardens will be wardens, but how do they really compare?

The site I have in mind is Veryan in Cornwall, but were I to join I would also look at their other sites. The one thing I have noticed is that 90% of the time, where there is a CAMC clubsite, t'other club has one no more than a mile away hence not seeing the need for both.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably most of us that are members of one club will be members of the CAMC, some of course of both. But how does t'other club stack up facilites and quality wise. I have been a member in the past but only to get continental breakdown extension for my Uk breakdown (Volvo came with its own breakdown so easier to extend the cover) so I have never stayed on one of their sites.

The reason I am asking is that our favourite Cornwall site has gone adults only, and there is a Camping and Caravanning Club site very near indeed to our preferred beach. I expect the clubs willl be similar in that they are desinged on a stalag and wardens will be wardens, but how do they really compare?

The site I have in mind is Veryan in Cornwall, but were I to join I would also look at their other sites. The one thing I have noticed is that 90% of the time, where there is a CAMC clubsite, t'other club has one no more than a mile away hence not seeing the need for both.
I’ve been using both clubs for years. The CCC take you to a designated pitch. Their sites I find tend to have more grass between hard pitches which gives a more relaxed feel. The facility blocks in the main aren’t as swish as CMHC but saying that they are still good. Site managers and staff always been fine. I wouldn’t hesitate to use CCC if it had a site in a location we wanted to visit.

Reactions: Thingy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The C&CC sites are mostly comparable but they do tend to let the grass grow a bit longer and the toilet blocks can be a bit more basic, but they do tend to be less likely to be booked up. They also allocate you a pitch, although in practice in most cases you do get some choice.
Possibly the answer is try them for a year, if it does not work out you can cancel at renewal. You will find reviews on the web site for the site you are looking at, but as we have not used one of their sites in that area I cannot comment on your proposed one.
The real difference is their web site, which is like something from the stone age and the need to pay a deposit, which will be forfeited unless you give more than 30 days notice of cancelation. .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm a C&CC member although we rarely use their main club sites because we prefer the smaller certified sites within their network.
The main difference is that the C&CC allow tent campers, usually on a separate part of the site.
This means that the small certified sites often have a shower/ toilet facility of some sort and somewhere to wash dishes etc.
Other differences not yet mentioned are the age discounts for main sites, and the availability of pitches due to the deposit system.
On the main C&CC sites that we've stayed on the shower blocks are of a high standard, the club is said to be more welcoming toward families with children and if caravan rallies are your thing, the District Associations are great.
I can't comment on the site that you're looking at, but in spite of the grass not being manicured like on C&MH sites, and some slightly dated, but very clean toilet blocks, C&CC sites are of a perfectly acceptable standard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With C& CC I think that you cannot book a single night on a weekend? We found them to be more like the "Unfriendly" club. It was always hit and miss finding friendly helpful wardens. We now hardly ever use club sites preferring commercial, adult only or CLs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
With C& CC I think that you cannot book a single night on a weekend?

That can only be a good thing. I have already started booking sites for the back end of next year, and even then the sites are almost empty except for the usual weekend right in the middle. Anyone wanting a full week cant get in. And I would stake my last pound that these weekenders are almost unanimously motorhomers. Wish they had never invented the damn things. :mad:

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
With C& CC I think that you cannot book a single night on a weekend? We found them to be more like the "Unfriendly" club. It was always hit and miss finding friendly helpful wardens. We now hardly ever use club sites preferring commercial, adult only or CLs.
We have booked a single night on several occasions at the weekend as a stopover.
Cliff

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
That can only be a good thing. I have already started booking sites for the back end of next year, and even then the sites are almost empty except for the usual weekend right in the middle. Anyone wanting a full week cant get in. And I would stake my last pound that these weekenders are almost unanimously motorhomers. Wish they had never invented the damn things. :mad:
We book a single night and have a caravan!
Cliff

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We book a single night and have a caravan!
Cliff

So do we, but when you look in advance and almost every weekend is booked months away, and the sites are emprty Sun to Thurs nights, it cant be good for the other members.

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
So CCC (or C&CC) is Caravan & Camping Club and CMHC is Caravan & Motor Home Club, but what does CL site mean please ?

Also, are there any other abbreviations for types of site I should be aware of ?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CL Certified Location ie five van site fir CMHC. Or CS a Certifued Site for CCC allows tents too. AS Affiliated Site. Will be shown in Club handbook or on Website but it’s a private site so you would not book via the club website. You book by direct contact with site using details shown on Club website.

Reactions: arob.wk
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I too belong to both but rarely us a C&CC site or CAMC site. As Clive eloquently explained the major benefit, for me anyway, is access to the CLs and CSs. Many of which offer FSPs👏👏👏👏

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dornafield in Devon, all fully serviced even provide a chemical emptying point. Site is divided into two areas, the Black Rock Copse area has the emptying points, although the tariff is the same site wide.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have been members of CAMC for about 40 years. No objection to ‘the other club’ but did not want to be in two. Then in 2019 I realised that that C&CC had a different way of doing foreign rallies that appealed to us. That year we went to 3 in France over 6 weeks.

Come any time after the start date and leave any time up to the end date, pay by the night. Join in with planned events or not.

Due to covid we have not been able to make any other use of the membership. But on Sunday we have 3 nights booked on a CS at Witney. Looks really good too.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have been members of CAMC for about 40 years. No objection to ‘the other club’ but did not want to be in two. Then in 2019 I realised that that C&CC had a different way of doing foreign rallies that appealed to us. That year we went to 3 in France over 6 weeks.

Come any time after the start date and leave any time up to the end date, pay by the night. Join in with planned events or not.

Due to covid we have not been able to make any other use of the membership. But on Sunday we have 3 nights booked on a CS at Witney. Looks really good too.

John
Hi John i hope you have a nice break ;)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also in both clubs i like reading the magazines we like a adult park full hardstanding service pitches a fishing pond this place we are going on Thursday use to be C&CC we are there 6 nights

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Dornafield in Devon, all fully serviced even provide a chemical emptying point. Site is divided into two areas, the Black Rock Copse area has the emptying points, although the tariff is the same site wide.

Prior to covid-19, Dornafield was my beer-buddy gang's annual pitch for Abbfest in Sept (beer-festival). A really lovely site with v good facilities and it's v well managed in, from my experience, a very friendly way.

Haven't been notified yet whether Abbfest will happen in 2021.
My beer-buddy gang and I have been filling Abbfest glasses for quite a few years now, but, whatever, I don't reckon I would personally be happy to man the casks if it does happen in 2021. Hopefully, though, come 2022 you might find me filling your glass again with some ABSOLUTELY gorgeous West Country beers.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Theakstons Old Peculier, Hobgoblin, Old Hooky, Timothy Taylors.

No need to assault our tastebuds when such fine brews are available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts