Touring all the time & warden work

May 21, 2008
Visit site
There have been a few post's on this one.

We are considering selling up and changing our van to a fixed bed, then going touring full time. Just so god dam fed up of todays rat race!!

I've thought about becoming a warden for instance and working for say 9 months then going off on our own in the off season.

So far there are a couple of obsicals to overcome.

Postal address. Can you use a PO box for all those essentials like bank statements, car tax, insurance and all other post you normally get at a fixed address.

Warden Work. Sounds a good way of getting a place to live and a job, but does it work out. Does the pay meet the workload?

Passports. If we wanted to renew our passports how would we prove UK address etc? We thought of buzzing off to Spain in the winter with the van?

Medication. I depend on a CPAP pump at night for sleep apnea, and a pill a day for cholesterol. so how could we manage those inevitable doctors and hospital visits?

Advice and assistance from anyone who has or still are going it alone all year would be much appreciated.

I am under no illussion that warden work is hard, but I'm sure working triple shifts and on weekly change is more stressful.

Cheers. Steve.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Having spoken to one or two full-timers on our travels, prescriptions aren't a problem. Just remain registered with your current GP and send them a SAE when you want a repeat - I guess you need to discuss this with your GP beforehand. under the NHS you're entitled to GP consultation and hospital treatment anywhere, as a visitor.

One lady we met had sold her home, bought a small flat for her eventual retirement from full-timing. She rented the flat out which gave her additional income but also gave her a permanent UK address. She toured the UK for 8 months every summer and Portugal/Spain for the other 4.

Personally, I think wardening is like being a publican - it looks nice when you're their guest watching, but long hard work with little time off.

Most full-timers seem to be motorhomers so try the Practical Motorhome forum, sister to this one.

G

Steve,

You have left some information out in your Post, so it is difficult to really understand what you wish to embark upon.

For instance, what age group are you in? Although people in their 60's have done such a thing, there is a quite a history of disappointment because the novelty wears off, and one or other partner hankers for a home again, and the costs are then prohibitive. Also as you get older, as you mention, medical problems become an issue and although you can get private medical cover, it is expensive. Similarly for dentists. One therefore has to ask why go full time, when you could probably take long holidays instead, just as easily without making a complete break from home life. If you have a big house with a garden why not trade down to a flat where at least gardening issues are no longer a concern, and it can be locked up for extended periods of time. If the reason is to get the money from the house, then please take a lot of expert advice, because it can be a one way downhill street.

The Caravan Club is advertising for Assistant Wardens and are offering the minimum wage for a full week. The downside, because I looked at it, is that you will be assigned for the whole season, and although you state you would holiday off season, unless you are going to Morocco it will be a bit cold and miserable, plus a lot of sites etc are closed. Spain can be very nice in winter, and a lot of people go there ever year, so maybe you can join a group such as the Snowbirder's, although that is mainly motorhomes. It can also be cold and wet, so be prepared. That is why many fulltimers head for Morrocco or the Canary Islands. Yes, there is a ferry from Spain. I do feel that for fulltiming, as has already been mentioned, a motorhome is more practical. It has the one advantage of allowing satellite tv to be permanently installed, not that I am a tv fan, but on cold days and nights you will need something. It also can usually offer a bigger payload, and things such as books are heavy.

If you speak a good foreign language then Eurocamp will offer you 3 month assignments, and you can holiday the other part of the summer season.

As for passports, get them renewed before you start and you have 10 years to decide what you are doing. If you are overseas, you can get a renewal done by the local embassy with presentation of your birth certificate and old passport.

As for an address, you can use a relative's address for many things. Also the Internet will allow you to keep track of finances etc. If you are planning on being out of the UK for more than a year you can open an offshore bank account and do virtually most things by telephone, or Internet if the account is in Sterling. They are also more flexible regarding holding Statements etc.

I fully sympathise with your feelings regarding the rat race, but please be careful. Do not allow your heart to rule your head, and possibly trying extended holidays for a start would give you a better idea if this is really for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts