Tow car Insurance Rip offs.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Apparently the "industry standard" for car insurance premium rises this year is in the region of 30% Those daft enough to be on automatic renewal get hammered, and those like me, who telephone and haggle usually manage to get that 30% reduced down to about 10%

I am on auto renewal, but they do advise you 1 month ahead. Which is the quote I have now. I think they must have lots of disgruntled customers, the phone lines are busy.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely it a regulatory requirement on auto renewal or not the insurer has to notify you the cost of the new policy and the premium for the policy that is ending. I’ve just had the BG Homecare renewal and that has risen from £205 to £215 pa. And if I were going ahead there’s the statutory cancellation period.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I saw a similar increase with Flow (LVE in another name)

5 mins on a comparison site, and Tesco were quoting less than i paid last year and with £40 cashback.

I just went to Tesco, it came out as £376

Then went to compare the market. Tesco won at £354

B9EE2A82-A952-4DE2-BC76-CB3210515642.jpeg

Then called LV. At first, they came out with £372. Then I asked for a rethink and they. Matched Tesco at £354. A little later she said the price had gone up again but she had held mine at £354. So the prices are continually updated on their screens.

These quotes are on the new MG I, pick up tomorrow. So not like for like with the quotes I previously showed for my current Volvo

So. LV are a 30+% increase on the Volvo for this year. Yes, a massive increase, but still competitive when compared to others.

Also. The new MG will be £14 dearer than the Volvo.

So I have stayed with LV. As they matched the lowest quote. But a shocking increase.

LV has also covered me for the two cars tomorrow for the changeover, and for the new car till the end of the month. For £15. Which I expected as an admin fee.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago we had the auto renewal and I got the letter, but was otherwise occupied and forgot about it until our account was debited for a silly amount. My fault, but I managed to cancel straight away and found another insurance company which was over £100 cheaper. Took a struggle to get the refund, but managed. No longer do auto renew.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure that is wise as if the same think happened now you would end up uninsured which is even worse than being overcharged.

Nope as I still get the renewal letter from the car insurance company at which point I start looking at quotes. I now have all the time in the world to decide which insurance would be best.

OH reminded me that prior to the "forgotten" autorenewal issue and with another insurance company, when we got the quote we cancelled and took insurance with another insurance company.

However although we had cancelled the policy our credit card was still debited by the old insurance company and the game was on getting the refund. A bit easier in those days as you could still phone and speak to a real live person. We also got a small compensation payment for the hassle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My point was that you got the letter and forgot about it which could happen again.
I gather the best time to get a quote is 18 days before renewal if that helps. If you are too early they think you are timid and hike the premium and if you leave it too late they think you are careless and hike the premium. Not sure what the difference is, but timing is everything.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My point was that you got the letter and forgot about it which could happen again.
I gather the best time to get a quote is 18 days before renewal if that helps. If you are too early they think you are timid and hike the premium and if you leave it too late they think you are careless and hike the premium. Not sure what the difference is, but timing is everything.

At the time I was working and quite busy, but now I file everything in date order so as not to forget plus I have have a reminder on my laptop.

You are correct about the timing and I normally renew about 3 weeks before it is due and after I have checked a few comparison sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts