Tow car Insurance Rip offs.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have been with LV for a good few years now. I was involved in a collision about 18 months ago. The other party disputed the facts despite me having dashcam footage. It ended up with LV taking the other company to court, and they won. My NCD and premium unaffected.
Just a brief note, you earn a no claims discount, its not a no blame discount, big difference.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When on holiday in Weymouth a few years ago, we had a deer run into the side of our vehicle. Deer put a big dent in front nearside, shook its head, got up and scuttled off. Luckily for the deer we were probbaly doing under 15mph at the time when it decided to stop eating the roses in someone's garden and make a dash across the road.

We decided to pay for the repair ourselves and never bothered reporting it to insurance. Cost £300 for the repair, so probably saved a few bob on increased premiums.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When on holiday in Weymouth a few years ago, we had a deer run into the side of our vehicle. Deer put a big dent in front nearside, shook its head, got up and scuttled off. Luckily for the deer we were probbaly doing under 15mph at the time when it decided to stop eating the roses in someone's garden and make a dash across the road.

We decided to pay for the repair ourselves and never bothered reporting it to insurance. Cost £300 for the repair, so probably saved a few bob on increased premiums.
Naughty Boy! Guilty M’Lud of a non disclosure of a material fact! 😜😜

May 7, 2012
Visit site

At that price and bearing in mind any excess it would not be worth a claim.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think over the past 12 months premiums overall have gone up in excess of 16% tending to be higher than that as your age increases or if your area would be considered higher risk. Plus you would expect any claims, sadly inc no fault claims, or any driving convictions will also raise the stakes. Also worth contacting your provider for a better quote if you think your renewal offer is too high

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think over the past 12 months premiums overall have gone up in excess of 16% tending to be higher than that as your age increases or if your area would be considered higher risk. Plus you would expect any claims, sadly inc no fault claims, or any driving convictions will also raise the stakes. Also worth contacting your provider for a better quote if you think your renewal offer is too high
[/QUOTE

It's strange, The insurance companies never quote that you will get , say 10% or 5% if you don't claim or have I never noticed

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Except for my haircutting. Still the same price as they find things very competitive and dare not increase the cost.

Coming to the UK in 1993 was the first time I went to a barber in over 20 years! Very true regarding price if you have only one or two hairs for them to cut. The hair on my eyebrows, ears and nose seems to grow faster than the hair on my head! 😆

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Well, for the first time I can remember my car insurance renewal has actually been reduced by my current insurer.
I checked on the online comparison sites and it's cheaper than swapping.
I'm amazed

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
At that price and bearing in mind any excess it would not be worth a claim.

That was true for me. I'd only had my Volvo for 4 weeks and suffered a hit & run in a hotel car park, my excess is £350, I had it repaired by our local smart-repair place for £295.IMG_5145.JPG

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This Tuesday I was in a local town going to the dentists. The appointment the previous week had been cancelled. The car was parked in a quiet residential road with only a van about one car length away in front. On walking back I saw a red Renault Captur reversing towards mine quite slowly. My first thought was please leave some space for me to open the rear hatch. It left about three feet. Good I thought. Then it shot back and whacked into my car. You can imagine my exclamation and arm movements . But fortunately I was there so they had no chance to drive off. I‘m now proceeding with repairs as their insurer 1stChance contacted me within 20 minutes of my driving off back to home. The lady was a new driver and accepted liability so it’s a no fault incident as far as my insurer is concerned. No claim just a notification. However had I not been there to witness the coming together I think I’d be looking at Dents Away or similar.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This Tuesday I was in a local town going to the dentists. The appointment the previous week had been cancelled. The car was parked in a quiet residential road with only a van about one car length away in front. On walking back I saw a red Renault Captur reversing towards mine quite slowly. My first thought was please leave some space for me to open the rear hatch. It left about three feet. Good I thought. Then it shot back and whacked into my car. You can imagine my exclamation and arm movements . But fortunately I was there so they had no chance to drive off. I‘m now proceeding with repairs as their insurer 1stChance contacted me within 20 minutes of my driving off back to home. The lady was a new driver and accepted liability so it’s a no fault incident as far as my insurer is concerned. No claim just a notification. However had I not been there to witness the coming together I think I’d be looking at Debts Away or similar.
A few years ago while parked, someone dented the rear of the Jeep causing a big scratch of the bumper and drove off. Someone was a witness and wrote down the reg number so contacted the police. No injuries so not interested even though it was basically a hit and run. Paid nearly £300 for the repair.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A few years ago while parked, someone dented the rear of the Jeep causing a big scratch of the bumper and drove off. Someone was a witness and wrote down the reg number so contacted the police. No injuries so not interested even though it was basically a hit and run. Paid nearly £300 for the repair.

That was similar to my hotel hit & run above. Hotel had CCTV but wouldn't give me the footage unless the police were involved. Asked at the local police station and they were sympathetic but uninterested so in the end I went down the path of least resistance.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reminds that in 2018 our car was parked outside our residence on the road. Cane out one morning and the front of the car was damaged with deep scratches. The front was parked towards the pavement. Suspect that perhaps some kid was riding a bike and came off their bike and collided with the front of the vehicle. That repair was closer to £600 as bumper and front right fender were damaged.

Reactions: Gafferbill
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am the same as OC, Boundless membership giving decent terms with LV (Frizzell) for home and motor for around 40 years now. With motor, I left them for a few years as the premiums rocketed. But came back when they quoted a reasonable price again. I have had a house claim and a few car claims in that time. ALL handled very proffesionally.

John

Since writing this. I have really gone off LV.

D7512962-2E9A-472C-9D8B-426B67704DE3.jpeg

I hope this is not indicative of all insurers at this time. I now have phone calls to make!

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We've been with LV for some years an no complaints.
We have just changed our 18 plate Passat Estate 2L 150TDi GT for a ex demo Skoda Karoq with the engine and running gear. I got a refund of £2.88 for 8 weeks cover - after deduction of the £15 admin charge!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Apparently the "industry standard" for car insurance premium rises this year is in the region of 30% Those daft enough to be on automatic renewal get hammered, and those like me, who telephone and haggle usually manage to get that 30% reduced down to about 10%

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We've been with LV for some years an no complaints.
We have just changed our 18 plate Passat Estate 2L 150TDi GT for a ex demo Skoda Karoq with the engine and running gear. I got a refund of £2.88 for 8 weeks cover - after deduction of the £15 admin charge!

Good luck when it comes to renewal. Yes, excellent service, but 30% increase is a step too far. They did it to me some years ago and I went elsewhere. Ended up going back as they miraculously became the cheapest quote.

It would be nice to have consistency for long term customers.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts