Tow Covers

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I know there have been threads on this topic before but I thought I would revisit it.
I’ve been cleaning my van today, I quite enjoy giving it a valet and always love the end result. Hardest part was cleaning the front panel with the myriad of flies and bugs welded tight to the surface.
So, who uses a tow cover and how do you find it?

Regards

Kev

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Oddly enough was going to ask exactly the same question!
Just got back from a few days away, ant the front of the caravan is a real mess.
Even T Cut had trouble getting rid of some of the marks, so I think a cover is a must.
As always, there seems to be a plethora of different types etc. So any advice before I shell out would be great.
Thx. Simon.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've never used a tow cover but like yourself I love cleaning the car and my van and seeing the end result gleaming when knackered afterwards . :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Maybe prevention is the best cure.
I don’t use a front panel cover but have noticed over the years a generous application of a good polish, Autoglym , macguires or similar enables easier cleaning of the dross and road kills :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't use a cover. Careful with T Cut as depending on what your front panel is made from it could cut through the gel coat if it's grp. I tend to wash it with warm water and Fenwicks which allows most detritus to come off with s good microfibres cloth. A good wax treatment would also help too.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have a tailored ProTec towing jacket which is great. Fairly easy to fit but it zips up the middle so can be hard to get the zip started. It covers from the top of the windows right to the very bottom of the front panel. Front must be clean prior to fitting... otherwise it may cause damage.

ProTec loaned me a genric cover for a trip when the towing jacket was not made in time. This did not fit well. I think the shape of the 2018 Sprites is not compatible with the generic cover, it left a gap at the bottom, so it got covered in crap. Main complaint was the side strip (2 narrow side strips are fed into the awning rail with a large panel clipping into them) billiowing at 60mph as it did not go far enough under the main cover panel. This caused a blind spot and was distracting.

Probably would not be an issue on another van, I think the awning rail is too far back combined with compound curve of the front panel of the Sprite.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Looks like a cover from above the window down, and a good quality carnuba wax treatment above the window to the start of the roof. It was not road dirt, but bugs.......and what a job to get rid of them!.

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks
I have just returned to caravanning after 3 years of motorhoming so have just bought a 2015 Unicorn Cadiz and a 2017 Honda CRV. The first thing I bought this time was a universal tow cover after remembering all the suicidal insect action on the last caravan. I have just come back after the first trip and have to say the cover acted as advertised and at only £50 was well worth it.
Ken

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We use a Specialized Covers bespoke for our van, and would not tow without. Easy to fit, light and a clean van when you arrive.

Steve

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
thedog1,

Like you we use a front cover for the caravan I can have it fitted in under five minutes, best thing I ever bought for the caravan,

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I’ve never had a towing cover, but it’s not just the road dirt that I’m finding an issue these days (we went away when it was snowing in March, and the front of the caravan was absolutely filthy when we arrived on site!), but thanks to the state of our roads, we’ve got a couple of stone chips on the front windows.

I am collecting the third of three towing covers that I’m going to have a look at this week, so hopefully there might be something in the magazine later in the year (that’s out of my hands of course).

I’m also looking forward to arriving on site with a clean fronted caravan!

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Have had the misfortune to drive through what had been dropped by a manure spreader on the hottest day of the year - I now will not tow without a cover on . . . . . .

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
I’ve never had a towing cover, but it’s not just the road dirt that I’m finding an issue these days (we went away when it was snowing in March, and the front of the caravan was absolutely filthy when we arrived on site!), but thanks to the state of our roads, we’ve got a couple of stone chips on the front windows.
It isn't just the muck but as you say stone chips can seriously hurt your wallet so when I saw the size of my new caravans front window I was sold on a tow cover.
I got caught out just before I sold the motorhome with a stone chip on a Heki type window. That cost me nearly £1000 :angry:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm a big fan of a towing cover,I got mine(specialized universal one)super cheap just to try.Should last me till I change vans,then I'll go for a fitted one.
The new pro-tesc ones look really good,I would be tempted.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I received a new front cover with my Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona.

I have nothing against towing covers, but I have never used mine and probably never will; there is nothing scientific in my rationale :blink:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got a free fitted tow pro towing cover with my last swift caravan from glossap and now i wouldn't be without one. Not only does it keep it clean it protects it from stone chips and crud being kicked up from the road by the car. Ive just bought a 2018 swift and im gutted it doesn't fit. So im going to sell it and buying another one. You can get universal ones fairly cheap but the way the new fronts are on the swift i think i will go with a fitted one. They are real easy to fit to
Richard W

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Do people usually leave the cover on when not actually living in the caravan. Ours is parked on the driveway, wonder if we ought to leave it on all the time or not!.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts