Towbar bumper plate

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
Good evening
I have a Volvo XC60; and a swan neck fixed towbar.
Is there any way that I can put a bumper plate on the towbar, as the bumper comes so close to my towing hitch.
I’ve been in touch with Volvo and Towsure, and they are not sure.
My previous cars had the towbar where the 2 bolts went into the towbar horizontally, and the plate fitted easily.
Any help in this matter would be much appreciated.
Simon :(

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I know there is no dedicated bumper protector for swan neck towbars, but the general way around protecting the bumper is to fit a Milenco Gel mat to the bumper.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have the detachable towball on the XC60 and I think they are similar in terms of position, and distance from the bumper. I don't think there is a pre-made solution as there is little room there and nothing to secure to (unless you are handy with a MIG). I did have a plate on my old car's fixed flange Witter towbar, what you describe with the 2 bolts.

If you didn't want to stick the pad to your bumper as per Damian's suggestion, you could put something like carpet underlay behind the ball (Draped over the bumper secured in the boot) as a temporary protector whilst hitching and unhitching. I use the motor mover to hitch up, driving the hitch over the ball. I just have to be careful when unhitching.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the room behind the tow ball is very tight I think the carpet as suggested by Simon is your best bet.
A far more expensive option is a camera. They are fantastic, with one I can hitch first time without help.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Raywood said:
If the room behind the tow ball is very tight I think the carpet as suggested by Simon is your best bet.
A far more expensive option is a camera. They are fantastic, with one I can hitch first time without help.

I wish I had a rear-view camera; A chap on YouTube retro-fitted front and rear cameras to an XC60 using the built in screen. It was a nightmare of wires and trim pieces!

I did my B+E test in a car fitted with a rear camera and trailer camera. Made solo hitching and the test much easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts